Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worth noting that he's recently bought the WHSmith store (includes H&M), and the former Clas Ohlson store on Northumberland street for over £30m. Rumours are that he's going to move SD into the whole building, having a massive SD. There is already a shop fitting contractor who do SD's shop fits onsite in the former Clas Ohlson section.

Is there anything that can be done in terms of appeals to the City Council to slow things down and just generally make the whole thing a misery of red tape for him?  Planning permissions or something like that?

Not really. The likelihood is the only planning permission they will need is for a change of signage. Considering the building is ugly as fuck, it's a retail building, and it's on a street with various different types of signage above every door then theirs no chance they could reject it legally. It also isn't changing the use of the building, and as it's all classed as 1 building, the removal of internal walls to create one big unit wouldn't require planning permission either. It could also be that he see's it as a new location for Cruise which is located next door and doesn't have much of a frontage on Northumberland street. He could also just be buying it as part of his and his companies plans to move into property ownership.

Just thinking - Wouldn't surprise me one single bit if this statement was a condition of the bonus scheme being agreed upon by the club.

I can see Rafa and Lascelles agreeing that for the good of the players - Though they probably didn't expect the statement would be used to firefight Ashley's use of the transfer funds we didn't spend to buy House of fucking Fraser. :lol:

Pretty much what I thought, although I can't see there being a direct relationship between our transfer funds and the house of fraser. He can't use the club like a cash machine.

He can if he really wants.

Worth noting that he's recently bought the WHSmith store (includes H&M), and the former Clas Ohlson store on Northumberland street for over £30m. Rumours are that he's going to move SD into the whole building, having a massive SD. There is already a shop fitting contractor who do SD's shop fits onsite in the former Clas Ohlson section.

Is there anything that can be done in terms of appeals to the City Council to slow things down and just generally make the whole thing a misery of red tape for him?  Planning permissions or something like that?

Not really. The likelihood is the only planning permission they will need is for a change of signage. Considering the building is ugly as fuck, it's a retail building, and it's on a street with various different types of signage above every door then theirs no chance they could reject it legally. It also isn't changing the use of the building, and as it's all classed as 1 building, the removal of internal walls to create one big unit wouldn't require planning permission either. It could also be that he see's it as a new location for Cruise which is located next door and doesn't have much of a frontage on Northumberland street. He could also just be buying it as part of his and his companies plans to move into property ownership.

Aye but even if it's bound to get approved could we not appeal against everything he's planning just to fuck with him?

To give my friends here at N-O some info look at companies house beta data for Mash Holdings. I can't see shit now due to data protection. But a controlling interest change has been made. Maybe the HoF buy has been planned for a while and Mike has recouped some cash flow from NUFC and his SD empire? Directors loans and pure cash investment can be levied against the current situation in companies. Think of a size of company almost half of yourself but perhaps not knowing what the bills are. Belt tightening will be required.

Is this like QAnon N-O edition?

Aye but even if it's bound to get approved could we not appeal against everything he's planning just to fuck with him?

From experience it's worth bearing in mind that strictly speaking a planning officer can only take relevant information into consideration. So you could have hundreds or thousands of objections from members of the public, however, if they have no grounds to them then the planning officer is required to disregard them. The only real information they take into considering is from authority organisations, such as environmental impact studies, police, English heritage etc is they have any objections. There is no reason for any of them to have any objections. It's also worth noting that if a planning committee rejects a proposal, then the council are legally obliged to defend its decision in any appeals process, and if they lose an appeal they open themselves up to being sued by the applicant for legal costs. This happened to North Tyneside council a few years back with the houses that were planned at Holystone. There was no legal reason for the council to reject the application, but pressure from local residents meant they did, in the end the appeal process overturned the planning committee's decision, and it cost the council £1m to defend its decision during the appeal process even though the chief planning officer recommended to the planning committee that they approve the proposals.

In this case as any plans for him to move in would be pretty straightforward it's also unlikely that the decision will be made in a publically held planning committee meeting and would more than likely be approved behind closed doors.   

Any of Stifler's itks been true in the last decade?

Not really ITK here, it's confirmed information followed by speculation from retail consultants/analysts who have a very good idea of how the retail players make their moves and spend their time advising said retail companies.

From experience it's worth bearing in mind that strictly speaking a planning officer can only take relevant information into consideration. So you could have hundreds or thousands of objections from members of the public, however, if they have no grounds to then the planning officer is required to disregard them. The only real information they take into considering is from authority organisations, such as environmental impact studies, police, English heritage etc is they have any objections. There is no reason for any of them to have any objections. It's also worth noting that if a planning committee rejects a proposal, then the council are legally obliged to defend its decision in any appeals, and if they lose an appeal they open themselves up to being sued by the applicant for legal costs. This happened to North Tyneside council a few years back with the houses that were planned at Holystone. There was no legal reason for the council to reject the application, but pressure from local residents meant they did, in the end the appeal process overturned the planning committee's decision, and it cost the council £1m to defend its decision during the appeal process even though the chief planning officer recommended to the planning committee that they approve the proposals.

In this case as any plans for him to move in would be pretty straightforward it's also unlikely that the decision will be made a publically held planning committee meeting and would more than likely be approved behind closed doors.   

:thup:  Cheers, Stiffy.

While what a lot of Stifler said is correct he has downplayed the impact of public responses.

Public responses have caused several Gary Neville planning applications in Manchester to be rejected by the planning committee.

Also statutory bodies for example highway authorities have to deal with a hundred applications a week sometimes, stuff gets missed, so a well written well informed response by just one member of the public can point out a missed consideration that might need to get revisited.

While what a lot of Stifler said is correct he has downplayed the impact of public responses.

Public responses have caused several Gary Neville planning applications in Manchester to be rejected by the planning committee.

Also statutory bodies for example highway authorities have to deal with a hundred applications a week sometimes, stuff gets missed, so a well written well informed response by just one member of the public can point out a missed consideration that might need to get revisited.

As I’ve pointed out public opinion can sway the councillors somewhat (if it gets to committee meeting and isn’t just authorised). However they are not supposed to just go with public opinion without legitimate reason and in the end it would be massively costly to NCC and would just be overturned, especially if what you objected too was simply a change in signage.

I honestly believe anyone’s time would be better off hounding him on twitter, sending his company anti-Ashley leaflets, and organising a protest at their opening day.

Anyone who has read my posts in recent weeks will notice that I’m all for action against Ashley and I’m calling for our action to go further than protests outside of SD in Newcastle. This however really would be a waste of time.

It's a nothing statement from Charnley and a diplomatic move by Rafa and Lascelles to consent to it - based on the  recent 'truce' that was recently agreed between them and that the season is kicking off tomorrow and therefore it was best all around to just concentrate on the football now.

This doesn't mean that Rafa/players are agreeing with the clubs longer-term 'vision', but for now, at least until January, it makes sense (from their perspective) to get on with the football.

As I’ve pointed out public opinion can sway the councillors somewhat (if it gets to committee meeting and isn’t just authorised). However they are not supposed to just go with public opinion without legitimate reason and in the end it would be massively costly to NCC and would just be overturned, especially if what you objected too was simply a change in signage.

I honestly believe anyone’s time would be better off hounding him on twitter, sending his company anti-Ashley leaflets, and organising a protest at their opening day.

Anyone who has read my posts in recent weeks will notice that I’m all for action against Ashley and I’m calling for our action to go further than protests outside of SD in Newcastle. This however really would be a waste of time.

Aye, it was my thought initially but after the way Stifler's laid it out it'd be a bit of a waste of time for pretty much no benefit.  Better to explore other avenues to get at him.

Wasn't sure where to put this... some propaganda from Bishop, but apparently a 'joint statement' signed off By Charnley, Benitez and Lascelles.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/a-message-to-fans

Dear supporters,

As the transfer window closes and attentions turn to the start of the season, we wanted to make this joint statement, on behalf of everyone at the club.

Doing good business in a transfer window is about ending the window clearly stronger than when you started and we believe we have done this. The view we all share is that we have a better squad now than the one that finished tenth last season and all involved have worked tirelessly to make this happen.

Collectively, we must extend praise to Steve Nickson and his recruitment team. Their operations are year-round, but they have worked day and night in recent months to support efforts to enhance the squad.

We are all excited about the seven players who have joined us this summer. Their combined experience in the Premier League and at an international level – with three of them appearing at this summer’s World Cup for their respective countries – cannot fail to strengthen us.

Martin Dúbravka and Kenedy have already proven themselves to be fantastic players here and we are confident that Ki Sung-yueng, Fabian Schär, Yoshinori Mutō, Salomón Rondón and Federico Fernandez will be excellent additions to the dressing room.

Given our finishing position last season, we already had a team of players who were more than capable of performing well in the Premier League. They have shown heart, guts and determination and the inference that they are ‘Championship’ players and not good enough is unfair and untrue. The players all believe in themselves and in the quality of the squad, and we all believe in the players.

Now, it’s about all of us pulling in the same direction, for the good of the club. This came through strongly in a recent positive call between our owner and senior members of the squad, who agreed that better dialogue going forward will benefit all parties and is in the best interests of the club. 

With the transfer window now closed, the focus should be on unity and getting behind the efforts on the pitch.

We know our supporters are incredibly passionate and we know that passion will be channelled into supporting the players we have in black and white on Saturday, and every matchday thereafter home or away.​

Lee Charnley, Managing Director

Rafa Benítez, Manager

Jamaal Lascelles, Captain

This has made me so fucking mad... As said by others this is shameless propaganda by the 'clubs' PR. Good on all the guys and gals attending the protest tomorrow. Wish I could be there too.

I think the reality is that Rafa is actually more happy with the signings and with the people that he's working with than he was making out during the transfer window.

If I'm wrong, and he was as unhappy as he was suggesting, then he should have quit.

He was never going to quit and we've been over the reasons why plenty of times now. As for being happy with the signings, he was probably hoping for a lot more, but then he was also probably fearing a lot worse. One mitigating factor which we might not have considered is if his probable leading transfer targets, Plea and N'Soki turned us down rather than us failing to stump up the cash. If that was the case maybe Rafa wouldn't be as pissed off as we might think.

From experience it's worth bearing in mind that strictly speaking a planning officer can only take relevant information into consideration. So you could have hundreds or thousands of objections from members of the public, however, if they have no grounds to them then the planning officer is required to disregard them. The only real information they take into considering is from authority organisations, such as environmental impact studies, police, English heritage etc is they have any objections. There is no reason for any of them to have any objections. It's also worth noting that if a planning committee rejects a proposal, then the council are legally obliged to defend its decision in any appeals process, and if they lose an appeal they open themselves up to being sued by the applicant for legal costs. This happened to North Tyneside council a few years back with the houses that were planned at Holystone. There was no legal reason for the council to reject the application, but pressure from local residents meant they did, in the end the appeal process overturned the planning committee's decision, and it cost the council £1m to defend its decision during the appeal process even though the chief planning officer recommended to the planning committee that they approve the proposals.

In this case as any plans for him to move in would be pretty straightforward it's also unlikely that the decision will be made in a publically held planning committee meeting and would more than likely be approved behind closed doors.   

You're absolutely right that, unless any external alterations are proposed it's highly unlikely that planning permission would be needed only advertisement consent for new signs. If there were

Absolutely right, and in reality the person it would waste the time of the most would be the planning officer.

You're absolutely right that, unless any external alterations are proposed it's highly unlikely that planning permission would be needed only advertisement consent for new signs. If there were

Absolutely right, and in reality the person it would waste the time of the most would be the planning officer.

Furrher to this, it’s not uncommon for retailers to apply for a change of signage or minor detail changes until after they have been installed (called an application in retrospect).

So even when it does come up in the planning committee it’s often too late and the sign is already up.

Don't know what to fully make of this statement. So confusing. So dividing.

Keith Bishop played a blinder with this one, a day before the protests.

It's spin. We attack Mike and support Rafa and the team. Simple.

Just thinking - Wouldn't surprise me one single bit if this statement was a condition of the bonus scheme being agreed upon by the club.

I can see Rafa and Lascelles agreeing that for the good of the players - Though they probably didn't expect the statement would be used to firefight Ashley's use of the transfer funds we didn't spend to buy House of f***ing Fraser. :lol:

This is a good shout.

Makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Also, Rafa will be more than happy to get on with managing the team now, and obviously Lascelles isn't ever going to question anything Rafa says or does.

All I could think about reading that statement though was 'Well, fine, but where has the money gone, Mike?'