Miguel Almirón

Deuce

15 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Because he had a legitimate role in the team. 

Even now, as much as I like Howe, he's just playing as a very traditional winger. That's not his game, it has never been his game. Miguel Almiron - and I'm sure fellow MLS watchers will agree - is a no 10. He needs to be in the middle of the pitch where he can make the most of the space in front of him. Shunting him out to the wrong wing where he's forced to constantly cut inside does nothing for him. He might be able to get away on the left, but the more we just ignore him as a 10 the more he's going to look shite. 

Rafa played him in the central channel of the pitch and used him to connect the play. That's his greatest strength. 

Different standard of league, but watching him and Martinez for Atlanta United was immense. Only time he's been used in his natural position was under Rafa, and as you say, that's when we saw glimpses of what he actually can do. 

I've never seen a player do so well in a position and yet never manage to consistently get played in it.

Especially infuriating when you consider Joelinton appears to be in the same quandary...

spiderman.jpg

Edited by Thumbheed

Misused player. He has a very valuable toolset and it shows again and again, but sadly his end product is not up to par, though as many has stated, under Rafa we saw what sorta player he could be with the correct role and instructions. Still hope to see Howe realize this and use him in the middle.

I feel ready to jump off the Almiron bus full time - he has some very good qualities, but we’re just not getting enough out of him. Too often the headless chicken, and he shoots like an U-10 defender getting forward for the first time.

3 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Different standard of league, but watching him and Martinez for Atlanta United was immense. Only time he's been used in his natural position was under Rafa, and as you say, that's when we saw glimpses of what he actually can do. 

Oh yeah, I love MLS but I would say its League One/Championship standard at best. 

9 hours ago, Raconteur said:

I feel ready to jump off the Almiron bus full time - he has some very good qualities, but we’re just not getting enough out of him. Too often the headless chicken, and he shoots like an U-10 defender getting forward for the first time.

I'm not going to jump off the bus, but I don't think we can afford to play him with our current set of midfielders. We might need to sacrifice a forward to stiffen that midfield up, and Almiron is the one who offers least goal threat or impact. He'll run all day, which is great, but unfortunately the clowns behind him won't. 

I keep saying this but he’s never played in his correct position or even his second best position which is left wing. He’s the most one footed player in the league who is always moved out to the right. Maxi I think is just as capable on either wing from what I’ve seen so why not swap them over?

On 13/12/2021 at 09:36, Kaizero said:

Almiron under Rafa - 10 games 0 goals 0 assists

Almiron this season - 15 games 0 goals 0 assists

The great statistical gods are trying to tell us something, I think

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

His decision making is really poor. Has the assets to be a canny player but his decision making lets him down time and time again. 

I think this is an issue with a lot of our players. Today, you could say several all made the wrong choices rather than a poor execution.

Dubravka: The pass to Lascelles and not taking control of his 6 yard box for the first

Clark: Not taking responsibility for heading clear the first

Willock: Aimlessly chasing the ball on the second rather thsn showing awareness fo what was around him

ASM: Pissing about on the edge of the box

Wilson: Being a bit too selfish and not releasing it early enough

There were probably a fair few others, but those were the stand out ones for me. 

Just now, Heron said:

I think this is an issue with a lot of our players. Today, you could say several all made the wrong choices rather than a poor execution.

Dubravka: The pass to Lascelles and not taking control of his 6 yard box for the first

Clark: Not taking responsibility for heading clear the first

Willock: Aimlessly chasing the ball on the second rather thsn showing awareness fo what was around him

ASM: Pissing about on the edge of the box

Wilson: Being a bit too selfish and not releasing it early enough

There were probably a fair few others, but those were the stand out ones for me. 

Was trying to think of a way to word exactly this. Decision making today was awful, from the defence to Wilson and ASM. Better decision making and we'd have had a few chances today. Instead we're being punished, oppositions are taking every chance they get more or less against us and we fuck up when we have opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Was trying to think of a way to word exactly this. Decision making today was awful, from the defence to Wilson and ASM. Better decision making and we'd have had a few chances today. Instead we're being punished, oppositions are taking every chance they get more or less against us and we fuck up when we have opportunities. 

Absolutely. 

This is the difference between PL and international/world class standard players though. We have a team of Championship/lower PL players and now that some are getting on, we're lacking the dynamism to overcome the lack of thought. Meanwhile at Man City on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum they have players who are not only highly talented, but make the correct decisions like 99.9% of the time and whom also have the attitude and drive that will see them overcome any errors of judgement.

Sadly, it is very difficult to coach decision making though. There are a lot more players who can play the game, than read it. 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Absolutely. 

This is the difference between PL and international/world class standard players though. We have a team of Championship/lower PL players and now that some are getting on, we're lacking the dynamism to overcome the lack of thought. Meanwhile at Man City on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum they have players who are not only highly talented, but make the correct decisions like 99.9% of the time and whom also have the attitude and drive that will see them overcome any errors of judgement.

Sadly, it is very difficult to coach decision making though. There are a lot more players who can play the game, than read it. 

:thup: Shocking squad management due to the Ashley regime since January 2017 is rearing its head. Just hope we can get the right players in in January as tactically we've improved under Howe. The lack of quality hurts us so much.