Emiliano Sala

bowlingcrofty

Absolutely terrible this. Lost a cousin who was a pilot in the exact same way. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved and for the family this is a truly horrific thing to happen. Pray they can find them safe or in the worst they find something to give closure. 

It’s very sad.

Private aircraft are becoming more affordable or available to the slightly less rich and famous, and geographical needs increase the demand for such trips. Just on a fixed probability basis this is going to increase the occurrence of these tragedies. Increased demand also means increased pressure on planes and pilot availability so the probability may increase a little too.

I hope Sala and the Leicester owner’s deaths haven’t been in vain and that the coroners and air accident investigators and more generally the governments of the world speak out and act promptly to stop an escalation.

It’s very sad.

Private aircraft are becoming more affordable or available to the slightly less rich and famous, and geographical needs increase the demand for such trips. Just on a fixed probability basis this is going to increase the occurrence of these tragedies. Increased demand also means increased pressure on planes and pilot availability so the probability may increase a little too.

I hope Sala and the Leicester owner’s deaths haven’t been in vain and that the coroners and air accident investigators and more generally the governments of the world speak out and act promptly to stop an escalation.

Huh? Light aircraft crash around once a week in UK airspace, sometimes more often - not all lead to death but over water your chances of survival are next to none. you’ll just never read much about it unless there’s a celebrity on board or in your local newspaper. These statistics are in fact down from previous years, proving flying is in general a safe mode of transport.

There will always be aircraft accidents - there’s nothing the government of the world need to do.

Around 25 (minimum) private chartered aircraft land at my work everyday Mon-Fri, and there hasn’t been an incident (touch wood) for years.

Unless I’m mis-interpreting what you mean, I don’t see how any action I should required to stop an ‘escalation’.

Anyway, awful news.

"I couldn't believe it," said Frank Humphreys, 71, of Canton, Cardiff. "Your first thoughts are for his family but this could totally alter Cardiff's season.

People are fucking dense tbh

Not much wrong with that tbh. Guy reflects on what it means to the people close to the victims and then on what it means for him/the club he supports. Anybody would under the circumstances, no?

I took a flying lesson couple years ago and as I was about to take off, the engine lit some fire. Had to obviously abort the take off and the engineers investigated it. Thankfully it was all okay, but not really knowing what 'okay' meant. Looking back at it now, I perhaps should have been more wary of it.