Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Couldn't run a football club like a business, allowing it to become a dilapidated shell before palming it off and letting someone else at least double it's value in the space of barely 18 months. And that's just the start of the transformation.

'smart businessman' indeed. 

Just now, 54 said:

Here's what you could have had, you gigantic fucking idiot.

No fucking pitch invasion to overshadow the achievement! Well done all! Super proud! 

Genuinely reckon he hates himself for this. :lol: The prick wanted to be loved when he first arrived. Wasn't he considered a 'recluse' before we accepted him with open arms and suddenly he was downing pints in the stands?

But he couldn't help himself from becoming a petty, spiteful little bitch due to his own mistakes. And I hope it haunts him every time he catches one of our games and he realises how much easier those 14 years could've been for him.

12 minutes ago, wormy said:

Genuinely reckon he hates himself for this. :lol: The prick wanted to be loved when he first arrived. Wasn't he considered a 'recluse' before we accepted him with open arms and suddenly he was downing pints in the stands?

But he couldn't help himself from becoming a petty, spiteful little bitch due to his own mistakes. And I hope it haunts him every time he catches one of our games and he realises how much easier those 14 years could've been for him.

Imagine the money he could have made off selling us. So far we have only spent a small amount of what he’s stopped us from spending over the years.

Imagine if we even did what Spurs did on money that we brought in. He would have been able to sell us for £2bn.

Instead he’s got about half of what San Diego have paid for an MLS team.

1 hour ago, alexf said:

I love that this is the first full season without him and we got straight back to Champions League. Basically just proved every Newcastle fan right.

It's amazing, really. Europe in 11 of 13 seasons before our first full season under his ownership led us to 1 European excursion in 15 seasons. Then as you say, first full season and back not just in Europe, but the CL.

I'm not saying we have a right to be there or owt.. But when run properly..

I'm not sticking up for the 20 stone cardiac arrest on legs BUT it might not have worked anyway. 

I always said he had no vision, no concept of how big a beast he had in his hands and what it could really be. 

It's all about decision making tho and, as we've seen countless times it fails more than succeeds. 

We've been incredibly lucky landing Howe and pretty much every decision that's been made during the last 18months has come off.

Thats either unrivalled expertise or luck. 

Edited by Groundhog63

Sir John Hall: Champions League

Freddie Shepherd: Champions League, cup finals

Mike Ashley: championship (twice), cups are a pest

Consortium: Champions League, cup final

Was definitely our expectations that were the problem.

4 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I doubt he gives two fucks either way

He'll be pissed he didn't squeeze out an extra hundred mil for the asking price now. The club will be worth double what he sold it for now, and that's being conservative.

He just didn't understand what Newcastle was all about and it's something you can't teach. All the talk we used to get about how we couldn't tolerate or accept outsiders . SBR was a Geordie so it was natural for him but Rafa also felt the club and the fans, was loved and accepted and could see the potential. Eddie, Amanda and her husband have  fallen right into it and seem to love everything about the area and the club.

The feeling of attachment that you get from being a meagre supporter can not be explained to those who don't know. I've followed my club for over 70 years (my first game was when I was 6 back in 1950) and the passion and feeling is as strong as ever.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

He'll be pissed he didn't squeeze out an extra hundred mil for the asking price now. The club will be worth double what he sold it for now, and that's being conservative.

He might, or he may not have given it a second glance since getting out. He's wasn't exactly hands on in any capacity in his time here

In 2005/6, a year before Mike Ashley, the commercial income for Newcastle and Spurs was:

NUFC : £27.9m

Spurs : £27.8m

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Audit/gx-deloitte-football-money-league-2007.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiO5LSL44v_AhWILsAKHTUvAtoQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tBk8hGZPxI5zrmvzM9nYK

This year, the commercial revenue for each club was: 

NUFC : £33m

Spurs : £215m

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

If you think that's £180m difference just in one year. He held us back a ridiculous amount. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

34 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

In 2005/6, a year before Mike Ashley, the commercial income for Newcastle and Spurs was:

NUFC : £27.9m

Spurs : £27.8m

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Audit/gx-deloitte-football-money-league-2007.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiO5LSL44v_AhWILsAKHTUvAtoQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0tBk8hGZPxI5zrmvzM9nYK

This year, the commercial revenue for each club was: 

NUFC : £33m

Spurs : £215m

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

If you think that's £180m difference just in one year. He held us back a ridiculous amount. 

It doesn’t end there though. Before he bought us we often finished above Spurs. The season we 1st went down, Spurs also struggled until late on.

They have went on and built the best football stadium in the world, possibly the best stadium in sport.

They have been to cup finals, including a Champions League final, and regularly played in the Champions League.

He could possibly have bought Spurs for about the same amount he bought us for, and they were the club he supported, absolute fucking cunt.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'm not sticking up for the 20 stone cardiac arrest on legs BUT it might not have worked anyway. 

I always said he had no vision, no concept of how big a beast he had in his hands and what it could really be. 

It's all about decision making tho and, as we've seen countless times it fails more than succeeds. 

We've been incredibly lucky landing Howe and pretty much every decision that's been made during the last 18months has come off.

Thats either unrivalled expertise or luck. 

He’s an asset stripper, you see it in his business ventures. Buys distressed assets cheap and then sucks them dry until there’s nothing left. He doesn’t build, create or add value. He never had it within himself to improve us as that’s not what he does.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

It doesn’t end there though. Before he bought us we often finished above Spurs. The season we 1st went down, Spurs also struggled until late on.

They have went on and built the best football stadium in the world, possibly the best stadium in sport.

They have been to cup finals, including a Champions League final, and regularly played in the Champions League.

He could possibly have bought Spurs for about the same amount he bought us for, and they were the club he supported, absolute fucking cunt.

It just goes to show that he could have done it if he'd chosen to, but we were just an advertising hoarding for Sports Direct. All those whinging about us spending so much now should be shown that. It's only because of Ashley that we were an unambitious shell of a football club.