Joelinton

Stifler

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It seems like it is a long standing niggle/injury from what Howe said. While Howe didn't say this, it sounded like something that might require some surgery at some point but he has been able to manage and play through for now. 

Big Jow and Willock carrying long term injuries - numerous players with terrible injury records - ASM dressed up like Bubba Ho-Tep...

Its a wonder we can put out a team most days.

43 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It seems like it is a long standing niggle/injury from what Howe said. While Howe didn't say this, it sounded like something that might require some surgery at some point but he has been able to manage and play through for now. 

How the hell was he playing so aggressively with a groin injury? He was running twice as hard as the rest. 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Aye, Shelvey, Almiron, Longstaff, Frazer… and most of the team!

We beat Leeds 10-0 in player treatments needed on the field. Kudos to the team really, clearly a lot of them fighting through injuries and knocks.

I like the way he plays simple decisive passes when he gets further up the pitch, he's happy to skip past people but if he's at risk of losing the ball he'll just play the simple pass.

Unlike ASM who tries way too much and loses the ball repeatedly, it's frustrating as we don't currently have the midfield or defence to cover for that, but then the flip side is that he's capable of that moment of brilliance that wins a game for us.

If ASM can play off the shoulders of defenders and sprint through off Bruno G's eye of a needle passes we could be on to something, not really sure why they haven't been trying that with Shelvey as he's capable of a good pass.

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think retaining the ball long enough, combined with Shelvey's limited mobility, is a tricky one. Hopefully we can improve on all that. 

I don't like the idea of Shelvey in midfield at all, but if we can get Bruno G in there along with Joe, that might just be enough legs to allow Jonjo to do his quarterback stuff. Would have to be a 3 man midfield of course, but that seems to be Howe's preferred formation anyway.

Just now, TRon said:

I don't like the idea of Shelvey in midfield at all, but if we can get Bruno G in there along with Joe, that might just be enough legs to allow Jonjo to do his quarterback stuff. Would have to be a 3 man midfield of course, but that seems to be Howe's preferred formation anyway.

Is it not Howe's preferred formation, due to the players available/the ability of our current players?  He didn't seem to play the 4-3-3 until we stumbled on it, when Joelinton looked so good there. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Is it not Howe's preferred formation, due to the players available/the ability of our current players?  He didn't seem to play the 4-3-3 until we stumbled on it, when Joelinton looked so good there. 

Don't know tbh, I just assumed that's how he liked to set up.

Just now, TRon said:

Don't know tbh, I just assumed that's how he liked to set up.

I think there were plenty of articles and also Bournemouth fans saying 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 was his usual formation.  Tried something similar against Arsenal, Norwich we started like that before the Clark red and Burnley was also more this with Joe a bit further advanced than he plays now, from memory.  

The fact we have no midfielders capable of playing in a 2 and we don't really have a decent attacking mid/10 or second striker at the club sort of limits his options. 

I hope if we get the right players in, we revert back to this.  So that Wood/Wilson/Zapata :naughty: won't be so isolated. 

I had the impression that Bruno would make Shelvey redundant.  And yeah, on reflection if it's a midfield 3 I'd rather Willock than Longstaff.  I could see a 2 man midfield with someone slotted just behind the striker.  Maybe that's where Zapata or Nunez would play in a 4-4-1-1.  I wouldn't want to see a 4231 with two better CBs.  That may have been the plan initially but it doesn't look like they can pull it off.

Really excited to see how he lines up with Bruno in the same midfield. I'm not a fan of Shelvey for reasons mentioned too many times, but with the legs of Joe and Bruno in there, that could really have the makings of a sexy midfield trio.

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Really excited to see how he lines up with Bruno in the same midfield. I'm not a fan of Shelvey for reasons mentioned too many times, but with the legs of Joe and Bruno in there, that could really have the makings of a sexy midfield trio.

We need someone making runs into the box got to be Willock for me. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

We need someone making runs into the box got to be Willock for me. 

Yeah that was my alternative to Shelvey, but he is loose in possession. I would bring him on as a sub, he was really effective coming off the bench last season.