Joelinton

Stifler

19 hours ago, TRon said:

Do we actually need a dedicated CDM after all? Joelinton has looked superb in this game against one of the best sides in the world. Is he actually just one of the top DM's in the Premier already?

I think he and Bruno are more than adequate as a pair. A lot more.

It does look as though the intention was to go with Joelinton and Bruno in front of Shelvey. 

Just now, Happinesstan said:

I think he and Bruno are more than adequate as a pair. A lot more.

It does look as though the intention was to go with Joelinton and Bruno in front of Shelvey. 

Agree, put one more quality CM in there and you could live with most teams. Maybe even Longstaff can do a job if he's pushed up a bit, he's a lot better suited to playing higher up the pitch when Bruno is back.

He was a monster last night for us, so adept at nicking that ball even from impossible angles or seemingly too distant from a player with those long legs of his. Very good on the ball as well.

Just now, TRon said:

Agree, put one more quality CM in there and you could live with most teams. Maybe even Longstaff can do a job if he's pushed up a bit, he's a lot better suited to playing higher up the pitch when Bruno is back.

Yeah. I know it seems like Howe wants to push Bruno up, but I think Longstaff in Willock's role offers us more, maybe not more, but different. Willock is all enthusiasm at the moment, and I love him for it. But Longstaff is a little more effectual, I think.

He takes more risks with his passing, whereas Willoc takes risks with his runs.

Anyway. Bruno and Joelinton should be our double pivot, and we should use Willock for our counter attacking and Longstaff when we seek to control possession.

It was 1-1, he found a teammate in the box with quite a lot of space and a good opportunity to nick it. If Anderson had smashed it in the corner it would have been a different story. If it was 2-1 fine, let him try and waste another 10 seconds, but not gonna whinge in retrospect about us going for it against any team, Joelinton was a monster yesterday.

8 minutes ago, nortoon said:

It was 1-1, he found a teammate in the box with quite a lot of space and a good opportunity to nick it. If Anderson had smashed it in the corner it would have been a different story. If it was 2-1 fine, let him try and waste another 10 seconds, but not gonna whinge in retrospect about us going for it against any team, Joelinton was a monster yesterday.

I think most supporters and team mates would have preferred him to take the ball into the corner considering Big Alex and Wilson weren’t in the box to put the chance away.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but the player Big Joe had been marking scored Liverpool’s first goal.

16 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. I know it seems like Howe wants to push Bruno up, but I think Longstaff in Willock's role offers us more, maybe not more, but different. Willock is all enthusiasm at the moment, and I love him for it. But Longstaff is a little more effectual, I think.

He takes more risks with his passing, whereas Willoc takes risks with his runs.

Anyway. Bruno and Joelinton should be our double pivot, and we should use Willock for our counter attacking and Longstaff when we seek to control possession.

Longstaff doesn't have the athleticism for that role and doesn't offer that much more on the ball to compensate imo

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Longstaff doesn't have the athleticism for that role and doesn't offer that much more on the ball to compensate imo

Hence why I said he offers something different. He scored in pre-season, playing that role. He assisted Isak, by getting into that position. He assisted Bruno against Arsenal, playing in that position. Willock has undoubtedly contributed to our overall performance, I'm just lauding the fact that we have options.

23 minutes ago, nortoon said:

Aye. The chance to win 3 points or lose one, when in reality there is little danger of the latter. I'm always taking that bet. 

The chance to gain +1 GD against losing 2 points. No sir!

Edited by Happinesstan

When we got linked with Edson Alvarez in the last few days of the transfer window, I started to think if Joe can become our defensive midfielder/ destroyer. Alvarez is excellent at winning the ball, and he isn’t much of a great passer that he usually goes with simple passes to the nearest player. Joe is a beast when the opposition has the ball, yet his decision making when he has the ball leaves a lot to be desired. He loses the ball A LOT by badly executed passes or by decisions that are just not the best. In today’s game, I yelled a lot at the TV for the number of balls he lost, but the funny part is that he goes ahead and wins the ball back immediately after losing it. He’s such a warrior. 

Do you guys think Howe can turn Joe into another Casimiro? He does have similar qualities, and he will boss the midfield by winning the ball, but he isn’t the most productive player in the final third. 

imagine if he’a our defensive midfielder, Bruno can then play higher up the pitch, and then we can add a great attacking midfielder (like Maddison) in order to assemble a great trio in the middle of the park. 

Edited by Solitude20

Think he was probably just feeling it from the Liverpool game. He gives as

much if not more than anyone else game after game, rarely misses games

and plays the full 90. I still think he was great defensively, just not so good offensively with his passing and link up 

Bruno elevates every other player in our side, but especially the midfield and forward line, don’t think he particularly enhances Joelinton’s game over others but he takes the pressure off because he’s naturally creative whereas that’s not really Joelinton’s game 

Thought Joelinton put in a great shift today. We are going to be regularly disappointed if we need him to be a consistent creative threat/pick a defence splitting pass/beat a man/ basically, score or make a key contribution to scoring. He harries and breaks up play (beautifully). Longstaff, doesn’t fill the void, and looked way out of his depth, at times. Bruno (Maddison, Gallagher, pretty much any fucker we were interested in) sorely missed today.