Joelinton

Stifler

37 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

If Brazil wins the world cup with Fred in the starting line-up then international football is worthless.

Leicester won a PL with Danny Simpson in their side, never looked at football in the same way since.

56 minutes ago, SAK said:

Did people seriously think he’d get a World Cup call up without ever representing Brazil before?

No, but much crazier things have happened. Tite being at SJP for us vs Villa then big Joe putting in a barnstormer plus getting a goal certainly didn't harm his chances either.

Edited by Kid Icarus

OK, as a brazilian and someone who watched Tite's work closely I will explain why Big Joe wasn't in the final 26.

He just started playing well way too late.

Tite valuer hierarchy, so, if you've performed well consistently for the national team you will have a spot until someone consistently outshines you.

That's why Fred is a starter, think 2 years ago, Arthur was rubbish and  Fred gave our mid deffensive security, now I think 9 out 10 coaches would play Bruno in that spot, but Bruno was rubbish in his only start for the main squad, so, Fred being his senior is the starter.

That line of thinking extends to the whole squad, if, Big Joe started playing this well 6 months to 1 year prior he'd be on the squad today. 

Being honest, I'm amazed he made the 55 short list. 

Edited by JNK

10 minutes ago, JNK said:

OK, as a brazilian and someone who watched Tite's work closely I will explain why Big Joe wasn't in the final 26.

Tite valuer hierarchy, so, if you've performed well consistently for the national team you will have a spot until someone consistently outshines you.

That's why Fred is a starter, think 2 years ago, Arthur was rubbish and  Fred gave our mid deffensive security, now I think 9 out 10 coaches would play Bruno in that spot, but Bruno was rubbish in his only start for the main squad, so, Fred being his senior is the starter.

That line of thinking extends to the whole squad, if, Big Joe started playing this well 6 months to 1 year prior he'd be on the squad today. 

Thanks for the insight, he’s been playing like a beast for a year now but it tite is sleeping on the job that’s brazils loss. 

I actually don't think Fred is that bad, he is a scapegoat for a whole team never coached to play passing football and because he is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none. He looks a very handy player to have around, but probably not a starter for a serious squad looking to win things but definitely on the bench. Still would have Joe of course but I'm not sure Fred is as bad as some Man U fans make out, there's just been a total lack of technical coaching for a long time and they have been allergic to buying good midfielders to help him until this season when they got Eriksen and Casimero, and even now they are wedded to a 4-2-3-1 formation cos they have to play Fernandez but he doesnt work in any position but number 10, and so you end up with a flat midfield 2 that is normally overwhelmed in games unless one player has a barnstormer. Few things I hate more than the midfield double pivot.

Edited by Tiresias

10 hours ago, JNK said:

What do you predict the starting 11 to be? 

Seems insane to me that Bruno won't be starting, I understand to some degree the whole heirachy thing even though I disagree with it. Southgate is similar in that sense and it's probably the reason Maddison won't be starting for England this world cup. 

2 hours ago, Joey47 said:

What do you predict the starting 11 to be? 

Seems insane to me that Bruno won't be starting, I understand to some degree the whole heirachy thing even though I disagree with it. Southgate is similar in that sense and it's probably the reason Maddison won't be starting for England this world cup. 

The main team is Alisson, Danilo, Thiago Silva Marquinhas and Alex Sandro, Casemiro, Fred (Vini Jr), Paqueta, Richarlison, Neymar and Raphinha.

Vini and Richarlison are actually contenders for Fred spot with Paquetá being the 2nd man in the midfield, but, if Brazil is gonna win this, we're gonna change this team during the cup. We've never won a title without changing the team during the competition, that's where I think Bruno will get a starting place. If it's gonna be on Fred or Paqueta spot I don't know.

I see we finishing the tournament with something like: Alisson, Danilo, Thiago, Marquinhos and Alex Sandro, Casemiro, Bruno, Paqueta(richarlison), Vini Jr, Neymar and Raphinha I really think that Vini and Paqueta will end up fighting for a starter place.

It's surely a system thing too. Brazil play a clearly defined 4-2-3-1 with two deeper midfielders and a #10.

Joelinton has been playing as a box to box in a 4-3-3 which is very different. I'm not sure how he'd do as a defined and disciplined holding midfielder and he's clearly not good enough to be the #10. Obviously he adds flexibility to a squad by being able to play wide too but Brazil have loads of options there so it's not needed.

I think a combination of their current system and the fact he's never had a call up before made it a certainty he wouldn't make it.

I’ll never understand international managers use of hierarchy when clearly some players are really really bad right now and are not performing. How does that suddenly change at an international tourney?

Just now, Kanji said:

I’ll never understand international managers use of hierarchy when clearly some players are really really bad right now and are not performing. How does that suddenly change at an international tourney?

Maybe it's trust in players for you. See Pickford. Went through a bad spell for Everton while playing good for England.