Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, HawK said:

I don't remember two of our previous best-ever players in recent history, and coincidentally not only Allan's compatriots but who also played the same position, in Mr Ginola and Mr Robert, missing out on lineups because they didn't press enough. You build your team around players like these, not make them fit in it. C. Ronaldo is a prime example. 

If Allan doesn't fit in the system thatHowe wants to implement, then we'll have to watch him go. And it'll be painful, because in a team that is built around 10 people working hard off the ball to carry him, he's going to be glorious. But if you're going to build a team to carry a player to win a league, that player isn't Allan, it's an Ibrahimovic or a CRonaldo, the true 'greats'. 

He's still my favourite player mind, I really hope he can learn to do the off-the-ball work that Howe wants.

As much as I agree with your point like, I still think that ASM's lack of doing anything off the ball sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the likes of Ginola, Robert, or Ben Arfa. The game has changed loads in that time as well. I think I have a pretty high threshold for players who put most of their energy into attacking, but I do think ASM takes the piss at times. 

29 minutes ago, Scoot said:

People have to remember he's one of those players that treads a fine line between being brilliant and a match winner or not having a very good game. People have to accept because of the way he plays, it's not always going to come off.

To be fair that's not really the issue being brought up with him in the main.

I think you should be able to carry a flair player, at times.

But that requires the rest of the team to not just be good enough to do their jobs competently, but to do it well.

Just look at the difference that having an actual left back and (briefly) a real quality right back made on the rest of the team.

I think the trouble is that so much of our squad has needed upgrading for so long, that's it's really hard to tell if he is someone who is worth carrying occasionally or not. 

Love watching St Max play and he can win a game on his own, but I can recognise his flaws too.

I just think it's quite hard to judge him until the squad in general has been upgraded. I.e. to what extent has he been masking our weaknesses, and to what extent could he perform better with other players around him?

6 minutes ago, Scoot said:

So what is it?[emoji38]

It's all over the last few pages man.

The main issue is his work rate defensively in the current pressing setup, not how much stuff doesn't come off. I think all that would be far more palatable if he was more committed to the work the team does when they don't have the ball. It looks particularly bad when he's just lost it and then stays down sat on the pitch moaning at the ref while the team is then having to defend without him.

Edited by KaKa

18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's all over the last few pages man.

The main issue is his work rate defensively in the current pressing setup, not how much stuff doesn't come off. I think all that would be far more palatable if he was more committed to the work the team does when they don't have the ball. It looks particularly bad when he's just lost it and then stays down sat on the pitch moaning at the ref while the team is then having to defend without him.

I do apologise man!

Edit: having just skipped through the last 3 pages, my point still stands like.[emoji38]

Edited by Scoot

On 24/03/2022 at 17:29, Abacus said:

I think you should be able to carry a flair player, at times.

But that requires the rest of the team to not just be good enough to do their jobs competently, but to do it well.

Just look at the difference that having an actual left back and (briefly) a real quality right back made on the rest of the team.

I think the trouble is that so much of our squad has needed upgrading for so long, that's it's really hard to tell if he is someone who is worth carrying occasionally or not. 

Love watching St Max play and he can win a game on his own, but I can recognise his flaws too.

I just think it's quite hard to judge him until the squad in general has been upgraded. I.e. to what extent has he been masking our weaknesses, and to what extent could he perform better with other players around him?

We did it for a longer time with my favourite Nufc player Ginola , ASM is very similar in the way he defends , rarely.

I don't think it's just a matter of his defensive contribution. We're aiming to keep possession and work chances through good passing rather than rely on his ability to beat a player. He needs to release the ball with a bit more awareness of what's going on around him. 

If he really wants to move to the top level, whether it's with us or elsewhere, he has to adjust his game. The best teams rely on teamwork, not the individual maverick who does their own thing regardless of the situation.

I was going to say unless you've got a Messi or a Maradona, but those players showed a greater team awareness than ASM does.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10679921/Newcastle-ready-cash-Allan-Saint-Maximin-summer.html

Newcastle United are willing to cash in on star man Allan Saint-Maximin this summer.

The 25-year-old is a huge favourite with Newcastle fans but Sportsmail understands the club would be prepared to sell him for around £50million.

The funds would then go back into their transfer kitty to bolster Eddie Howe's squad.

Would like him to stay and see how he does with a better team, but wouldn't be too bothered if he was sold either from a sporting point of view (assuming ofc that someone better comes in). He'll forever be one of the few shining lights in a dark period of this clubs history and for that I'll always appreciate him.

Don't think anyone would be prepared to offer £50m for him. 

10 hours ago, Conjo said:

Would like him to stay and see how he does with a better team, but wouldn't be too bothered if he was sold either from a sporting point of view (assuming ofc that someone better comes in). He'll forever be one of the few shining lights in a dark period of this clubs history and for that I'll always appreciate him.

Don't think anyone would be prepared to offer £50m for him. 

All depends who his replacement is. There are better players than him and could soon be forgotten about. Would I look back in asm like I do ginola, Robert or HBA. Not really 

10 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

All depends who his replacement is. There are better players than him and could soon be forgotten about. Would I look back in asm like I do ginola, Robert or HBA. Not really 

Come on [emoji38]