Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Surely everyone will just consider Liverpool champions this season anyway? Might not be the case in official records (it should be IMO), but generally speaking, everyone knows they'd have won it. Just happy they lost a game, so they don't have that :lol:

Forget about Liverpool for the time being. There is Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham all tied on 27 points.

Promotions, league titles, cup runs, relegations in the balance all across Europe. Millions of pounds at stake. The only fair solution is to prioritise finishing existing competitions ahead of starting new competitions that are yet to happen.

For 2021 there is so much that could be done.

Run the FA Cup with 24 groups comprising of 1 team from each division down to tier 6. Run the group home and away, and to fill four groups invite Rangers, Celtic, PSG and Ajax.

Do similar with the league cup but with smaller groups (so just covering the usual 96 entrants)

That’s a guaranteed 15 games already.

Run the FA Cup with 24 groups comprising of 1 team from each division down to tier 6. Run the group home and away, and to fill four groups invite Rangers, Celtic, PSG and Ajax.

Do similar with the league cup but with smaller groups (so just covering the usual 96 entrants)

Chillout fella. Newcastle are 13th, it won't effect us. We ain't going down and we ain't winning the league. Let's just hope the FA do the right thing and shaft Liverpool and Leeds. That's the only thing that matters right now.

Voiding results or going with pre-existing positions is fundamentally unfair. Competitions should be allowed to resume once it is safe again to do so.

For that reason I don’t get why it seems the most stupid idea to instead cancel next season, when no games have been played so no results matter.

That way results count and you will still be able to devise a format that gives every team 30 games minimum for the 2020/21 season

This makes sense to me. They need to look at it as an opportunity to do something different next season. They could also create space to play the Euros.

They should declare Liverpool champions. Surely? I think its only fair and im not sure other clubs would have a huge problem with it.

Champions League / Europa League spots plus promotion and relegation issues

I'm sure PSG and Ajax will just be begging to play in this clusterfuck.

And I take it this James Melville is just stating his opinon - doesn't appear to be someone who would get such an world first scoop.

Based on the arguments I’ve read I think I’m in favour of ending the season and having the table listed as final standings. It’s going to be incredibly harsh on some teams but I don’t see any other way forward. You can’t void the season as it’s too harsh on teams that have worked to get into current positions and although it’s harsh on teams that will be relegated there’s been enough games to merit those teams being down. Can you argue Leeds don’t deserve to go up while Norwich are given another year?

The virus isn’t going to go away quickly. Even if the Euros is cancelled can you really push the games into the summer and then have a short turnaround into the next league season?

Based on the arguments I’ve read I think I’m in favour of ending the season and having the table listed as final standings. It’s going to be incredibly harsh on some teams but I don’t see any other way forward. You can’t void the season as it’s too harsh on teams that have worked to get into current positions and although it’s harsh on teams that will be relegated there’s been enough games to merit those teams being down. Can you argue Leeds don’t deserve to go up while Norwich are given another year?

The virus isn’t going to go away quickly. Even if the Euros is cancelled can you really push the games into the summer and then have a short turnaround into the next league season?

Going to have to do it because of that clusterfuck 2022 World Cup timing next year, may as well have a dry run.

No reason to void the season, that'd be an awful decision.

Just give everyone a month off, then pack the final 10 games into 6-7 weeks. End in early-mid June, which is fine without any Euros.

Sounds like this is roughly the plan (for now). April - June, maybe May - July.

The virus is not going away soon unless a vaccinne can be found. Just end the season as it is. Next season can start if by chance the virus is gone. No point continuing this season if there is even a slight chance someone can get hurt from it. Not worth it imo.

You could probably put together an argument for Norwich, but 4 points cover 5 places above them. With 10% of the season to go you can't just say to Villa and Bournemouth sorry but you are down without the league getting tied up in legal cases for months.

Leeds, West Brom etc will massively kick off form the other side if the season is voided but legally it would be easier to defend.

Cancelling the regular season then having small round robin competitions with the top 6 (one game vs each team, home or away luck of the draw), the bottom 6 (same rules) to determine Europe and relegation and then the same for the top 6 in the Championship etc to determine promotions.

That's 5 games, which you could fit in over 3 weeks with midweek games