Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

13 minutes ago, manorpark said:

You are incorrect.

I'm not.

In fact, Ashley has turned NUFC into the exact opposite of what you claim. They are a Championship club pretending to be a Premier League one.

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I'm not.

In fact, Ashley has turned NUFC into the exact opposite of what you claim. They are a Championship club pretending to be a Premier League one.

Oh just Fuck Off out of this thread, you miserable shit!   Without the takeover, the club is dead. Its a turd circling round the toilet bowl.  You may like wallowing in the misery of it but stop trying to drag everyone else to it!

57 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Oh just Fuck Off out of this thread, you miserable shit!   Without the takeover, the club is dead. Its a turd circling round the toilet bowl.  You may like wallowing in the misery of it but stop trying to drag everyone else to it!

Get fucked yourself, you muppet. If the truth hurts then that's your problem, not mine.

I've been following this club for nearly 40 years, so I'm qualified enough to recognise what kind of a state it's in.

22 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Get fucked yourself, you muppet. If the truth hurts then that's your problem, not mine.

I've been following this club for nearly 40 years, so I'm qualified enough to recognise what kind of a state it's in.

But weirdly unable to recognise what a thread about 'positive optimism' is all about :dowie:

6 hours ago, manorpark said:

I am not an optimist, I am (still) a realist.

Think back to when this Takeover was announced. We got to know the calibre (financial and otherwise) of the people who had bought our club, and we got to know that the club had been SOLD. What was then needed was the Premier League to approve our new owners.

THAT is still where we are at today, and the arbitration process will push this forward again, until our new owners are finally approved, which will inevitably happen. 

Out of curiosity, why do you push everything you say as facts?

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

Out of curiosity, why do you push everything you say as facts?

If you look at what I say, I am mostly just stating facts, many of which get happily ignored (and replaced with unsubstantiated and oft-repeated 'opinions') by the permanently downbeat amongst us.

Facts are facts.

Occasionally I will refer to the future (eg "when our new owners are finally approved" etc) which I do not need to say 'are not facts', because (obviously) I am talking about things that have not happened yet.

4 hours ago, ED209 said:

So Bruce is actually a genius and the kingpin in an international conspiracy to get Newcastle United relegated deliberately as part of a business master stroke?

I doubt Bruce would be in on it - he is just that bad a manager.  It is out there for sure but if we were to get relegated it certainly does open the door for a buyout without Premier League approval.  Who knows with this club.

No way Bruce would be in on it. Not a chance. His shoddy approach to team matters is an important cog in keeping up appearances.

It can’t look like we’re trying to get relegated. That would bring it's own set of problems, bringing the game into disrepute etc.

24 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

No way Bruce would be in on it. Not a chance. His shoddy approach to team matters is an important cog in keeping up appearances.

It can’t look like we’re trying to get relegated. That would bring it's own set of problems, bringing the game into disrepute etc.

So people are honestly now thinking we’re purposely trying to get relegated to get the takeover through. I’ve heard the lot now.

7 hours ago, et tu brute said:

So people are honestly now thinking we’re purposely trying to get relegated to get the takeover through. I’ve heard the lot now.

Purposely and not doing anything to stop it are not quite the same thing. The buyers and the seller have been talking throughout this season about various matters, you think the relegation that’s been written on the wall for the last month or so has never come up?

7 hours ago, et tu brute said:

This has been talked about for ages.

It sort of makes sense in a round about way, but it's not something I believe.

Remember, this is the 'positive optimism' thread, not the 'What's the fucking point in discussing anything takeover related' thread

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

The lack of engagement or action by the club is on another level to any of the previous messes we’ve been in. It feels different. It’s plain as day we’re going down and yet zero action to stop it. Why?

This plan b is the only thing that adds up

My take, I don't think we're getting relegated on purpose (despite Bacon boys best efforts). However, I think Ashley has washed his hands of it all, and perhaps there is agreement that the consortium will still proceed with the Takeover, should we be relegated. Hence, the lack of action - relegation may seemingly not end the takeover (subject to arbitration).

On the arbitration, would we even hear anything if/when it starts? After all, we only found out about the loss of having the panel member removed, once the decision was made. No-one knew we'd even done that. So could arbitration have started, and again, we won't find out until a verdict is made? That could be another reason for Ashley's lack of action. If it has started, and a result could be within weeks, then it may soon not be his problem anymore.

I still think a takeover depends more on the arbitration result. Sure I've read that the EFL tests are pretty much as stringent as the EPL tests, so not sure relegation makes a takeover any easier? Also, what happens if we are taken over and then get promoted next summer? Do we not just hit the same EPL roadblock again? Are we just going to try and make them stop us being promoted?

Edited by TK-421

9 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

But weirdly unable to recognise what a thread about 'positive optimism' is all about :dowie:

Positive Optimism regarding a takeover of the club while it is still in the PL is absolutely fine. What's not fine is claiming that the club's value will remain the same if relegated or that any buying party would happily pay the PL price when the club is in a league below.

The icing on the cake though is stating that NUFC has such a high standing that it has some kind of entitlement to be viewed as a top tier club, even if it's not in said top tier. Now we have the additional suggestion that the club is actually trying to get relegted to facilitate a takeover, when the grim reality is that it's just gross incompetence that is likey to make that happen, not some clever masterplan.

There needs to be three takeover threads on here. One for general discussion, this positive optimism one and now there needs to be a delusional optimism one.

58 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Positive Optimism regarding a takeover of the club while it is still in the PL is absolutely fine. What's not fine is claiming that the club's value will remain the same if relegated or that any buying party would happily pay the PL price when the club is in a league below.

The icing on the cake though is stating that NUFC has such a high standing that it has some kind of entitlement to be viewed as a top tier club, even if it's not in said top tier. Now we have the additional suggestion that the club is actually trying to get relegted to facilitate a takeover, when the grim reality is that it's just gross incompetence that is likey to make that happen, not some clever masterplan.

There needs to be three takeover threads on here. One for general discussion, this positive optimism one and now there needs to be a delusional optimism one.

Happy with just the 2 myself. I'm happy to ignore the delusionals in the positive thread and the relentless assholes in the general. 

11 hours ago, duo said:

I doubt Bruce would be in on it - he is just that bad a manager.  It is out there for sure but if we were to get relegated it certainly does open the door for a buyout without Premier League approval.  Who knows with this club.

Aye. there is no way Bruce could be trusted in such a plan. He'd probably go on to win the league.

Edited by Happinesstan

I'm not sure Mike would just let the club slip through the trap door on the premise they will buy the club regardless.

What if they don't? What if it all falls through? He still needs to protect his investment you'd think?

7 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

The value of the club must have already dropped without being relegated. I don't believe that we are trying to be relegated. If that was the case why bring in ASM, Wilson and the others

ASM came in before The Saudi deal, Wilson, well he was basically our only cash signing last summer. Not a massive outlay.

I’m not saying the club decided last summer to get relegated, I think the arbitration process is proving difficult, don’t forget, even when it’s done and even if we get a favourable ruling, that just sets the parameters within just one small section of what the PL can make a judgement on.

The whole test has to start again at that point, or at least pick up from that very early point in which it stalled.

I think the buyers just want to get on with it. Now the club suddenly look like being relegated, there has to have been a conversation about the implications of this. There is also no way Mike Ashley would wipe 100m off the value of something he’s actually trying to sell this time.

He’ll have a hard on for the post pandemic opportunities for someone with cash in the bank, like the vulture he is. He needs this sale to spend money on the things he really wants 

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’ll have a hard on for the post pandemic opportunities for someone with cash in the bank, like the vulture he is. He needs this sale to spend money on the things he really wants 

Bootcut jeans and winkle picker shoes?

It’s quite simple I believe, Ashley has sold the club for an agreed price and in his eyes he’s just waiting on approval. Forking out 4 million in compensation would probably come out of his pocket now. 

As the poster above has stated, it is unquestionable that relegation has not been discussed privately between buyer and seller at this stage. I certainly don’t think where deliberately trying to get relegated as i believe the arbitration ruling will stand regardless if we’re in EFL. Remember Rick Parry is on the payroll of project big picture so no way he waves this through.

What I do believe however is that the deal will be structured in a way Ashley is not worse off once add ons have been paid. He will be very confident that the prospective owners have the cash to bring us straight back up. Also the prospective buyers are so rich that they will have no issue with paying the balance on promotion.

So in my eyes it’s all on arbitration and relegation isn’t a deal breaker.

30 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s quite simple I believe, Ashley has sold the club for an agreed price and in his eyes he’s just waiting on approval. Forking out 4 million in compensation would probably come out of his pocket now. 

As the poster above has stated, it is unquestionable that relegation has not been discussed privately between buyer and seller at this stage. I certainly don’t think where deliberately trying to get relegated as i believe the arbitration ruling will stand regardless if we’re in EFL. Remember Rick Parry is on the payroll of project big picture so no way he waves this through.

What I do believe however is that the deal will be structured in a way Ashley is not worse off once add ons have been paid. He will be very confident that the prospective owners have the cash to bring us straight back up. Also the prospective buyers are so rich that they will have no issue with paying the balance on promotion.

So in my eyes it’s all on arbitration and relegation isn’t a deal breaker.

Excellent summary.