Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

41 minutes ago, Bishops Finger said:

It's you that needs to get a grip. The thread is inevitably going to be locked again and all because you can't let people be positive about something. I'm hardly positive myself that the takeover is going to happen but there's no need for me to keep coming in this thread to piss on other people's chips. 

I come here to hear people's opinion whether right or wrong. I can take it or leave it, which obviously you can't 

A good point made below. I haven’t once said the takeover is off so don’t know how I’m pissing on anyone’s chips. I’m just bringing realism and debate. The whole point of the forum 

35 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You can be positive and still have debate man, it isn't an echo chamber.

Edited by gdm

5 hours ago, thomas said:

:lol: :lol: Except a lot of the time it's not even positive. It's blatant antagonism that tries to hide behind mealy-mouthed horseshit like "B-b-b-but a forum is for discussion, i get to post anywhere." when it's anything _but_ discussion.

I'll make this my last post on the matter,  as not to ruin the thread for others. 

Twitter is absolute poison. You have a group of individuals with an extreme opinion and they bunker themselves into an echo chamber. Any individual with a differeing opinion is demonised.

Individusls from opposing echo chambers then start winding them up, destroying any kind of healthy discussion.

Sound familiar?

Edited by The Prophet

I don’t do Twitter so I appreciate this thread as a deep dive into the speculative whilst using the other thread to keep a general track of the official state of play. 

I enjoy the coexistence.

But it’s going to be polarising as views are going to fundamentally differ based on recollection and interpretation of three or four loose but very polarising facts.

the divergence should be helpful in breaking conflict so I don’t really understand why the same people feel the need to bring conflict into this thread at all.

I suggest no one replies when someone brings their agenda in here. Once they realise they are being ignored they will leave.

meanwhile, only time will tell if the earth orbits the sun, or the sun orbits the earth.

1 hour ago, veriaqa said:

The only way PIF allowed to buy NUFC (if they still have interest in NUFC) is when NUFC are in the Championship (not champions league).

That way the PL will not have any say in the takeover. So, if you want the club to be sold to the Arabs pray for NUFC to be relegated

I believe the reason that wouldn't happen, is that on promotion back to the PL, the owners then face the exact same test that has delayed things so far. They could then be excluded from the PL until such a test is passed putting everything right back to square 1, of constant delays.

I'd speculate that might support no relegation being crucial. E.g., let's say we're relegated, then bought, then the arbitration goes against PIF, meaning they can't own a PL club. Where would that leave them?

Also, re objecting to one of the arbitration panel, they have brought potential conflicts into the open and ensured that the reasons for any decision are made public, rather than being hidden away (which would enable another lack of transparency on the decision). Well, that's the reasoning I've read - no idea myself.

51 minutes ago, James said:

I don’t do Twitter so I appreciate this thread as a deep dive into the speculative whilst using the other thread to keep a general track of the official state of play. 

I enjoy the coexistence.

Me too.

Yeah, it wouldn't help when they'd be subject to the same tests after promotion, which would definitely be subject of scrutiny given the history of it.  Although has there ever been even any suggestion that any team promoted to the premier league might have an O&D issue with their owner?  Seems like everyone else just gets rubber stamped and waved through.

I’ll never understand why anyone would invest this much time and emotional energy into overanalyzing every scrap of information, mostly nonsense, that trickles out. The takeover will happen or it won’t and not a single person on this forum will be involved in or responsible for either outcome.

Seems like an awful waste of time, but ho hum. Be kind to each other.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

FWIW, my own opinion is that both Big Picture and the ESL were blatant attempts to pull up the drawbridge on any competition. I think we all see it that way, so nothing controversial there, and obviously the whole collapse was delightful.

But now, rumours that some of these self appointed 'big' clubs are unofficially up for sale, which have two alternative optimistic points of view.

The first is that their long term growth projections were based on constantly expanding TV money; now they've been blocked, can't see a way to keep the whole bubble inflating, and want out, because their values would crash. Optimistically, that could cause a much bigger correction across the PL.

And / or, as complete speculation, do they fear a bigger competitor (or more than one) is already in the wings and are trying to bail out before they get in?

3 hours ago, ianovthetoon said:

There’s way too much time and effort being invested in this for there to be nothing happening. 

I would imagine that NDM isn’t cheap and there’s clearly someone spoon feeding snippets of information to this Keith fella. I’m not sure someone would take a year off work and invest so much time and effort just to get follows on Twitter. 

There’s clearly a lot of effort going in to trying to get the takeover done and dusted. Will it be successful? I hope so and I reckon the odds have possibly swung in our favour with the events of the last few weeks, but only time will tell. 

I’m optimistic there’ll be change of some sort in the summer. Whether that’s new owners or a change of tact from Ashley. The pandemic will have hit the club hard. Simple logic suggests they would at least try and get rid of the Corbridge cabbage in order to protect future revenue because as things stand I think they’re in for a shock if they think the fans will be back in droves to watch the shite served up by him. 

There was a lot of time and effort expended by Ashley when Debenhams went into administration and his stake got wiped out. Came to nowt though. 

1 hour ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I’ll never understand why anyone would invest this much time and emotional energy into overanalyzing every scrap of information, mostly nonsense, that trickles out. The takeover will happen or it won’t and not a single person on this forum will be involved in or responsible for either outcome.

Seems like an awful waste of time, but ho hum. Be kind to each other.

The takeover pessimists often write things like, "emotional energy", "mentally drained", "exhausted", "creating false hope" etc.

I think it just comes down personality type. I enjoy reading people's thoughts on what might be happening. I enjoy it more than Newcastle matches. Just as people like talking about what happened to the Mary Celeste or Lord Lucan. You'll probably never know but it's just a bit of mental masturbation that people enjoy.

Talking about the takeover doesn't exhaust me and I won't suffer any sort of mental capitulation if it doesn't go through.

Edited by Candi_Hills

Merge this thread with the Takeover Thread and let those that want to, duke it out.  Create a new thread for verified takeover news only (if/when there is any).

I check BOTH threads and scan them just in case there is some breaking news.  It's a painful experience as we all know.

If I was Charners I'd be looking at compensation for this, that little mole was arrested at his house and taking into custody, that could have massive implications at his next job as assistant manager at Pondstretcher