Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

2 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Add to the Scotland manager dropping him from the squad last summer etc.

Just seems that maybe the attitude, commitment drops when faced with adversity?

Whilst others such as Lascelles would be putting 100 percent in for that one chance.

He was dropped from Scotland for skipping a match seemingly to train with us and get in Howe’s good books when he’d just arrived :lol:  Howe’s gotten his long revenge for what happened at Bournemouth 

1 hour ago, Zero said:

Sounds like he wanted to move in January but couldn’t find any club interested 

Or maybe the clubs weren't willing to cough up his wages and expected us to pay most of them. Maybe he refused to take a pay cut by moving elsewhere and decided he'd be better off picking up full wages here while watching Netflix.

Worked hard for us under Howe and was great at 'winning' free kicks.  But his pace has gone and looks a bit of a mess these days, considering he's a pro-athlete :lol: 

Was really excited about the signing when he first came in.  He has been pretty dreadful/useless the whole time here.  Bar a 5-10 game spell under Howe.  Which was more to do with workrate, than actual out and out quaility. 

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

He was dropped from Scotland for skipping a match seemingly to train with us and get in Howe’s good books when he’d just arrived :lol:  Howe’s gotten his long revenge for what happened at Bournemouth 

Or maybe Fraser is just a bad apple when things don’t go his way. Utterly pointless in speculating.

2 hours ago, gdm said:

That was a bit different. His contract was up and was looking to move elsewhere he had no interest in extending it for a month or so. I guess it would suggest he’s been looking to move on in January and it’s not worked out so he’s downed tools till the summer 

Actually it's the same. He downed tools for the entire last season with us as he wanted to move on. The summer prior there had been rumours Arsenal were after him as he was, I think, second top in the Premier League assist stats for the season before. We wouldn't sell though. Don't get stuck on the contract thing, that isn't why he is so disliked at Bournemouth. It's what went during the season prior to the covid break that upset us after he didn't get his move. He blatantly wasn't trying, and was only interested in avoiding injury so he could get a bumper contract when he moved on after it expired. He even admitted it in an interview that he hadn't been trying. Unfortunately, due to an injury crisis, we were forced to play him. His lack of trying backfired though as he went from having interest from a club in the top six to signing for a club who were at the time battling near the bottom. That's two years and a lifetime ago in supporting Newcastle when you look at how things have changed.

Eddie had invested a huge amount of time in helping him develop up until that point. Not just on the coaching field during the day, he took him for 121 dinners, got him to change his eating habits etc. Also changed his build and got him to bulk up so he was more robust and able to ride tackles. He arrived with us very slight but lightning quick so defenders often picked up yellows trying to tackle him. As we went up the leagues though, the defenders were better so he needed some strength to go with his speed. So I can imagine there was a feeling of betrayal over that from Howe. I thought he'd moved past it but it's starting to look like it was a temporary thing until he didn't need him anymore.

I don't hate Fraser as a person as there's no point in that, but I've rarely disliked someone as much as a footballer. What's really stupid is if he gave his all in that final season then nobody would have begrudged him the move and he would have been welcomed back with open arms. He had talked about retiring to the area at one point, but not sure I'd recommend that anymore. Nathan Ake got a fulsome round of applause from the home crowd when subbed off last week for Man City. However, even though he knew Man City were after him, Ake was throwing himself in full blood in the last games of that season for us. I still remember him going almost beyond full stretch to win a ball in what looked like a challenge that would kill his hamstring and possibly cost him his move. That's all Fraser needed to do. Commit on the pitch and he could have walked away. He chose not to.

So this is classic Ryan. Stops trying when he isn't getting what he wants.

2 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Actually it's the same. He downed tools for the entire last season with us as he wanted to move on. The summer prior there had been rumours Arsenal were after him as he was, I think, second top in the Premier League assist stats for the season before. We wouldn't sell though. Don't get stuck on the contract thing, that isn't why he is so disliked at Bournemouth. It's what went during the season prior to the covid break that upset us after he didn't get his move. He blatantly wasn't trying, and was only interested in avoiding injury so he could get a bumper contract when he moved on after it expired. He even admitted it in an interview that he hadn't been trying. Unfortunately, due to an injury crisis, we were forced to play him. His lack of trying backfired though as he went from having interest from a club in the top six to signing for a club who were at the time battling near the bottom. That's two years and a lifetime ago in supporting Newcastle when you look at how things have changed.

Eddie had invested a huge amount of time in helping him develop up until that point. Not just on the coaching field during the day, he took him for 121 dinners, got him to change his eating habits etc. Also changed his build and got him to bulk up so he was more robust and able to ride tackles. He arrived with us very slight but lightning quick so defenders often picked up yellows trying to tackle him. As we went up the leagues though, the defenders were better so he needed some strength to go with his speed. So I can imagine there was a feeling of betrayal over that from Howe. I thought he'd moved past it but it's starting to look like it was a temporary thing until he didn't need him anymore.

I don't hate Fraser as a person as there's no point in that, but I've rarely disliked someone as much as a footballer. What's really stupid is if he gave his all in that final season then nobody would have begrudged him the move and he would have been welcomed back with open arms. He had talked about retiring to the area at one point, but not sure I'd recommend that anymore. Nathan Ake got a fulsome round of applause from the home crowd when subbed off last week for Man City. However, even though he knew Man City were after him, Ake was throwing himself in full blood in the last games of that season for us. I still remember him going almost beyond full stretch to win a ball in what looked like a challenge that would kill his hamstring and possibly cost him his move. That's all Fraser needed to do. Commit on the pitch and he could have walked away. He chose not to.

Thanks, more perspective is good :thup: 

Could a bit of it be what Potter was talking about the other week with too many players affecting training? If he's doing certain drills with the forwards and wingers and he's a spare part because he's prioritising ASM, Almiron, Murphy, Gordon, Willock, etc, it's pointless him being involved?

3 hours ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Lot of dinners that

Edited by RUHRLYASLEEVESUP

3 hours ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

However, even though he knew Man City were after him, Ake was throwing himself in full blood in the last games of that season for us. I still remember him going almost beyond full stretch to win a ball in what looked like a challenge that would kill his hamstring and possibly cost him his move. That's all Fraser needed to do. Commit on the pitch and he could have walked away. He chose not to.

Not excusing doing it all season, but regarding the restart Ake was still under contract for at least the next year. If Fraser had snapped his leg, would Bournemouth had paid him beyond his contract? Given the bad blood, I'm sure it would have leaked from the club that they had offered him say 12 months insurance in case of injury. I totally get why he did that, but still didn't like we signed him. Mixed emotions there :)

I mentioned before, the club had moves lined up in January, loan with obligation to buy. Would have required a slight drop in salary at the clubs involved. He declined and opted to pick up his wages for another 2 seasons.

He’s got form for making bad decisions. He’s a very likeable lad but whoever is advising him is doing nothing for his reputation.

It feels like the end of the Ryan Fraser story at NUFC was always inevitable to be like this.  What he did to Bournemouth was always unpleasant, and not exactly suggestive of a solid character.

I know that our squad will look very different in a couple of years time, but at least most from Fraser’s time at NUFC have done themselves nothing but credit, and while they won’t exactly go down as legends or greats, have at least earned the respect of most.  The likes of Lascelles etc won’t provoke a negative reaction after they leave. 

3 hours ago, Teslact said:

Not excusing doing it all season, but regarding the restart Ake was still under contract for at least the next year. If Fraser had snapped his leg, would Bournemouth had paid him beyond his contract? Given the bad blood, I'm sure it would have leaked from the club that they had offered him say 12 months insurance in case of injury. I totally get why he did that, but still didn't like we signed him. Mixed emotions there :)

I don't think Bournemouth fans have too much of an issue with him not wanting to play beyond the contract

It was the lack of effort running up to the end of the contract, that's unacceptable 

Surely this is just a case of Fraser knows he’s not getting game time here so he wants away and therefore Eddie doesn’t want to waste time with him by putting him with the senior team when he’s not going to use a player who wants away.

Not sure there’s any huge sensational story or falling out here. 

12 minutes ago, LV said:

Surely this is just a case of Fraser knows he’s not getting game time here so he wants away and therefore Eddie doesn’t want to waste time with him by putting him with the senior team when he’s not going to use a player who wants away.

Not so sure. If that were the case he'd be training with the senior squad and Howe wouldn't say what he said. He's clearly not happy with the wee lad.

2 hours ago, LV said:

Given a complete lack of leaks regarding any form of official bust up I’m guessing your take is the correct one. 

24 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Given a complete lack of leaks regarding any form of official bust up I’m guessing your take is the correct one. 

I guess I'll ask, is it normal to send a senior squad player to train with the U21? Legitimate question.

Does that happen often?

6 minutes ago, McDog said:

I guess I'll ask, is it normal to send a senior squad player to train with the U21? Legitimate question.

Does that happen often?

Yeah under 21 are just the reserves. 

im sure Fraser is unhappy and has been chirping about it as he should imo. 

but ultimately he’s surplus to requirements and needs to find a new club. 

12 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't think Bournemouth fans have too much of an issue with him not wanting to play beyond the contract

It was the lack of effort running up to the end of the contract, that's unacceptable 

Pretty sure he came out and said he'd have saved them from relegation if he played those extra games as well. Which didn't help [emoji38]

His legs have gone completely, it speaks volumes that a manager who knows him better than anyone has barely played him - consider his wages and the length of his contract / contributions made since signing, he's been an awful signing.