Jamal Lewis (on loan at Watford)

joeyt

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Absolutely. He’s not in the squad as much for his playing ability as he is for his leadership abilities. Was one of the few that actually gave a fuck last season and kept us up. 

To be clear - are you advocating him playing over Lewis? 

I feel like you could get that same quality from Ritchie without him needing to play. I do acknowledge those intangibles but he's also finished physically. 

Personally, i’d have dropped Krafth from squad but I think the decision has been made on positional flexibility. Lewis plays LB and no other position. Krafth has already filled in at CB alongside RB this season. 

5 hours ago, Anderson said:

Confirmed as out the squad, alongside Clark & Hayden. Harsh, would’ve dropped Krafth or Dummett myself.

Richie - the goals he has cost us this season. Poor decison by Howe to stick with him imo totally down to Bournemouth connection.

I'd have had Dummett over Lewis because he's more of a sure thing; the latter has been absolutely appalling basically every time he's played, but for one or two surprises recently. Dummett's never been that bad, just obviously has limitations whilst being prone to the occasional good bit of form. Meanwhile every manager who's worked with him seems to love him. 

Howe likely thinks that Ritchie's competitive nature and versatility adds to the relegation fight, even though he has been poor for some time. There might be other reasons but Lewis locking himself to 6 games this season rather than going out on loan is not the right decision imo. Ritchie is not the future and we might move him on this summer but Lewis' lack of game time is not going to help him, when he could try to impress during a loan.

5 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

[emoji38] it's mad like. He has some Manson like cult following that I was never aware of.

Reiterating what has been said but Paul Dummett is historically a solid and reliable left back who can also play in a back 3. Matt Ritchie is a winger.

Both will very likely see game time through necessity this season (Dummett at LCB and Ritchie at LW), Jamal Lewis would likely not play a single minute.

3 players had to leave the squad, Howe has made that decision and personally I'm 100% behind him and would made the exact same choice, he was validated further by Clark and Lewis preferring to sit around picking up wages rather than go on loan.

Fair enough they might be in the huff but football is a business where you have to promote yourself and prove you are the best at what you do, their attitude makes Howes decision more valid.

I think the Athletic pointed out it’s a risk for a player to go out on loan in January as if it goes wrong it could sink them for a summer move. 

Either way. He’s well within his rights to sit out his contract should he choose to. 

Choosing between Lewis, Ritchie and Dummet as to who to keep or not is like choosing between dog shit, cow shit or horse shit you’d prefer to step on or not!

Gave a little bit of reason for the omission which might explain his decision to turn down a loan if he feels he'd rather use it as a chance to get right before next season.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/eddie-howe-reveals-he-left-jamal-lewis-out-of-newcastle-uniteds-premier-league-squad-3557506

Lewis missed out on a place in Newcastle United’s 25-man squad along with Ciaran Clark and Isaac Hayden. Howe signed five players, among them left-back Matt Targett, before last week’s transfer deadline.

Asked about Lewis’s omission, head coach Howe said: “Jamal has been struggling with a long-term groin injury for probably the last year. He’s been fit, but not 100% fit.

"So he’s gone away the last few weeks and tried to get that groin right. He’s had a hamstring problem as well recently. So I felt with Jamal not being 100% fit to play, and Paul Dummett getting injured against Leeds, that we needed to sign a recognised left-back, and that mean then that, just with the numbers of the squad, that he had to miss out.

"As I say, he’s not been quite right, and I felt that was the right decision.”

Howe went onto explain regarding Ciaran Clark's omission: "We had some tests run, and it turns out his brain tissue is composed entirely of faecal matter, which was a surprise to some of the staff at least. As such I didn't feel confident guaranteeing him a place in the squad."

• 1 month later...