Callum Wilson

Strawberry

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I might be wrong. But I’m sure Howe alluded to him playing through it and that he wouldn’t have been playing, if it wasn’t for needs must. Very out of character for Howe to say stuff like that. 

So no, I disagree there. Everyone said how much more off it he looked and it got more and more strapped every week. 

He is top class. But you do wonder with his frame and his game being about dribbling and pace. 

Hopefully I am massively off the mark and being OTT. But it’s ‘worrying’™️ 

I thought his knee was hampering him but he had it taped up against West Ham and was class, started brightly against Dortmund too. Looked back to his old self. Might've been something else.

My worry with Wilson is he's 32 in the new year and if anything these injuries will only become more of an issue. When we found out Isak was out for a few weeks every man and his dog knew Wilson would be very lucky to get to the end of those fixtures in one piece, given Isak's own injury record I'm not sure if we can rely on that going forward. Its not good to have two injury prone players for the one position because you're always likely to have to rely on one to do the job week in week out for several weeks at a time like we are now. 

41 minutes ago, Decky said:

My worry with Wilson is he's 32 in the new year and if anything these injuries will only become more of an issue. When we found out Isak was out for a few weeks every man and his dog knew Wilson would be very lucky to get to the end of those fixtures in one piece, given Isak's own injury record I'm not sure if we can rely on that going forward. Its not good to have two injury prone players for the one position because you're always likely to have to rely on one to do the job week in week out for several weeks at a time like we are now. 

Should be looking to replace him in the summer really or someone who can step up a year later.

Edited by Aiston

I did actually find it odd we didn’t end up signing some auld cunt of a CF to basically play in a match like today. Last season I recall Wood playing away to Southampton and his opening goal turned the entire cagey shite match on its head and we walked away winners and went on a run. 

You'd think we'd have learned from last season that Isak and Wilson's injury records just don't stand up and that inevitably we'd be without them both for periods longer than the odd match.

Can't believe there's an argument that we should have retained Wood :lol: but do think we should have either taken an older striker happy to provide cover (bit like when Llorente was at Spurs or even a PL-level Daryl Murphy type) or just take a punt on a £5-£10m young striker from the continent. Gordon playing through the middle means we lose out on his wing play and we're now reduced to bringing the 2023 edition of Phil Airey or Tom Heardman into a PL game as a sub.

9 minutes ago, Pilko said:

You'd think we'd have learned from last season that Isak and Wilson's injury records just don't stand up and that inevitably we'd be without them both for periods longer than the odd match.

Can't believe there's an argument that we should have retained Wood :lol: but do think we should have either taken an older striker happy to provide cover (bit like when Llorente was at Spurs or even a PL-level Daryl Murphy type) or just take a punt on a £5-£10m young striker from the continent. Gordon playing through the middle means we lose out on his wing play and we're now reduced to bringing the 2023 edition of Phil Airey or Tom Heardman into a PL game as a sub.

Should have been pumping the youth teams with new strikers. I'm over the moon with the youths coming through to the 1st team recently but there seems to be zero striker prospects. Something like what we had in Nile Ranger, without all the drama. 

Howe said at the start of the season that he was happy with those 2,and Gordon to cover, think Big Joe was mentioned as well. 

Aye the quality of striker is a massive drop off but 3rd and 4th back up options? Not bad. 

We'll get there. 

With all due respect the historical injury records of both Isak and Wilson do warrant another experienced head to slot into a day like today. We keep around the likes of Dummett for the league cup we outta have one in attack. 

9 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Situations like this is where over a decade of under investment in to our academy comes home to roost. Ideally you'd have a young academy prospect who could fill the gap in parts.

What's Adam Campbell up to these days? 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Arsenal are a good example. They have Jesus and Nketiah who are both pretty unreliable injury wise, but they have Saka and Martinelli, so it's not a big deal if Trossard has to fill in for a few games.

Trossard is also really good at CF/false 9. 

interestingly the Arsenal wingers are more like inside forwards. So having a striker that drops deep is great for them (Saka and Martinelli).  Which is why Trossard is a great fit. Our wingers are more like wingers staying wider with a more isolated striker that needs to hold it up.

I don’t think Nketiah is unreliable. Modern football demands a lot from players these days.  Some players are seemingly bullet proof like Mo Salah. Lad doesn’t miss a game. Usually plays in every game even if it’s 45 minutes. Mane was like that too. But now Liverpools other strikers do pick up injuries. Livperool have 5 top class attackers but 1 is usually injured sometimes more. We need to get to a place where we have a solid top class 5 - Isak, Gordon, Barnes, Wilson, new player. Then Almiron & Murphy on the fringes if needed. Our Harvey Elliott’s.  

Edited by The College Dropout

4 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

We aren't making top 4 this season we need to forget about that

Probably right, although still a tad early to be so definitive - I think 6 or 7 and European football would be an undoubted successful season given the circumstances

(Edit to add I believe 7 is good for Conf league this season?)

Edited by Upthemags

Just now, astraguy said:

nah disagree, perfect time for us with a break and close to the transfer window plus i believe we'll exit the cl in the next game 

Still going to be massively short after the break though, only Isak is expected back for Chelsea.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye forgot about that, still think with Chelsea, PSG and Man Utd in a week it’s a massive ask regardless of a 2 week break.

It was going to be a big ask regardless, up until the New Years Day we're more or less playing 3 games a week.

Saturday: Chelsea

Tuesday: PSG

Saturday: Man Utd

Thursday: Everton

Sunday: Spurs

Wednesday: Milan

Saturday: Fulham

Tuesday: Chelsea

Saturday: Luton

Tuesday: Forest

Monday: Liverpool

Saturday: FA Cup