Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Newcastle United- 27/09/20

Greg

First half s***. Second half we improved without creating much. Lucky at the end but will take it.

How can you improve without creating anything? We had an extra 4% possession, huge gains.

First half and second were absolutely dreadful and our skins were saved due to a combination of Spurs’ finishing, a few Darlow saves and a ridiculous rule/decision.

We clearly improved second half. First half was dire and should have been 2 or 3 behind.

2 shots on target in 3 games if you don't include the pen. But you think this is a negative board. :lol:

It's a negative board because a large majority get upset when we don't lose.

Nah mate, I was genuinely looking forward after the West Ham game, but back down to reality after the last two league games. Bruce is going to have us watching this sort of rubbish all season, he has no idea how to do anything else.

This is like paying for a prostitute and acting as though you actually conquered a woman.

:lol: Wonderful analogy.

Conquered :lol: Courtship is using one's armies to block her trade routes and a protracted siege of her important outposts until she capitulates.

I must confess I got a bit carried away with the ol' optimism after watching us string passes together against West Ham. After two more games though, it is clear that nothing has changed, well, actually scoring from a penalty perhaps (cheers Callum!), and we are indeed the same team as last season. Darlow is looking like a decent keeper as another unexpected small mercy, but other than that, it is the same old reheated hanging-on-for-dear-life shite that brings me little joy. I'm just pleased I had some cycling to watch today until the final twenty minutes.

“96:20 - Since Opta began collecting exact Premier League goal times in 2006, Callum Wilson's penalty equaliser is the latest any side has scored with their first shot on target in a match in the competition. Grab.”

:lol: Lord.

It was a crap performance mostly and very jammy but why wouldn’t you be more pleased with the draw than defeat? It was (tightly or wrongly) in the rules. Because Bruce is lucky and going to get praised again foolishly? I mean yeah that’s annoying but why care too much about that? 😂

This is like paying for a prostitute and acting as though you actually conquered a woman. The result is the result, but this was given and not earned.

That’s a cracking analogy but doesn’t explain why a defeat is more pleasing. I’m not ecstatic at all but I’ll take the point as whoever is our manager, I don’t want us relegated.

I know it’s the popular thing to do to smash on VAR handball pens at the minute but a defender jumping with his arms in the air and the ball hitting it has been a penalty for as long as I can remember? Maybe I’m biased but those have been given for years.

It was a crap performance mostly and very jammy but why wouldn’t you be more pleased with the draw than defeat? It was (tightly or wrongly) in the rules. Because Bruce is lucky and going to get praised again foolishly? I mean yeah that’s annoying but why care too much about that? 😂

This is like paying for a prostitute and acting as though you actually conquered a woman. The result is the result, but this was given and not earned.

That’s a cracking analogy but doesn’t explain why a defeat is more pleasing. I’m not ecstatic at all but I’ll take the point as whoever is our manager, I don’t want us relegated.

My hope is that doing badly enough means we have to change manager before it's too late and we manage to stumble on someone even half decent. Hard to imagine anyone worse than Bruce. Although, knowing Ashley he'd probably manage it.

Because the manager is terrible and at this point almost anyone else would be better. He shouldn't be in the job.

I don’t rate the manager or disagree he shouldn’t be in the job, but I’m not going to be annoyed at a point away to Spurs, jammy as it was. If it looked like Bruce leaving was imminent and we’d get a top manager in then fair enough... but can’t see either of those happening soon. Anyway many fans don’t rate their own managers but that’s football - no point letting it ruin everything.

My hope is that doing badly enough means we have to change manager before it's too late and we manage to stumble on someone even half decent. Hard to imagine anyone worse than Bruce. Although, knowing Ashley he'd probably manage it.

I can’t see anyone decent coming in with Ashley in charge. Bruce is sadly the sort of manager we’d expect. For all his flaws he’s some good spells/seasons. Not like he’s of John Carver ilk.

I know it’s the popular thing to do to smash on VAR handball pens at the minute but a defender jumping with his arms in the air and the ball hitting it has been a penalty for as long as I can remember? Maybe I’m biased but those have been given for years.

Nah, that might’ve normally resulted in Carroll moaning for a pen but would’ve been waved away.

I’m not saying it’s logical just that those types of pens seem to have be around forever.

I didn't see the game but from that replay, it looks like it barely affected where the ball was going.

If it was a full on block of the ball, your thought would be fair.

The free kick leading up to the penalty was incorrectly given. Joelinton tripped or lost his footing and shoulder barged into the Tottenham player.

Dier had his back to the ball, and thus didn't see it and was pushed in the back right before, leading to his arm going like it did.

Understood, but personally I am describing why I derive no true pleasure from this at all, not describing why I would prefer the team to lose. This also gives me no pleasure. Some people on here actively support the team to fail, which is their right, but I am not one of these people, frankly. At the end of the season, one more point is appreciated, but when that match ended, my initial reaction was anger at the state of officiating in the sport, tbh.

Understood, but personally I am describing why I derive no true pleasure from this at all, not describing why I would prefer the team to lose. This also gives me no pleasure. Some people on here actively support the team to fail, which is their right, but I am not one of these people, frankly. At the end of the season, one more point is appreciated, but when that match ended, my initial reaction was anger at the state of officiating in the sport, tbh.

:thup:

One thing this controversy has done is it will mask how rubbish we were for the whole game. The focus in the media will very much be on the incident, rather than how rotten a side we are.

I see what you mean, but perhaps not.

I think a big part of the uproar has been down to how terrible we were, which made the whole thing even more farcical.

Absolutely criminal decision.  VAR ruining the game.  In my opinion any nufc fan celebrating that needs to give their heads a shake.

So celebrating an injury time equaliser, means you need to give your head a shake? You are fucking weird.

An injury time penalty where Dier committed a foul on Carroll I could see your point but c'mon mate...  Can you not see that that decision was so fucking wrong its unreal but because we were the beneficiaries we've to just go 'get in'?!!  Is that the direction you want the game to go in?

Anyway, we equalised in a game we should have have been hammered in, yet again!!  All media will be on about the decision, Bruce and Ashley get away with it. 

Maybe it is me... maybe I need to step away from watching this version of nufc.  It's getting like the Pardew era where a win/draw is just extending the torture.