Football governance

Nobody

6 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

JP Morgan, apparently.

A big investment from them then, which is obviously a good start, but this is supposedly forever more. Fail to see how they can sustain it. The great contradiction at the heart of all of this is that these clubs need the CL/PL too. When it comes the the global audience, their popularity/marketability has been built on their performance in traditional football competition; from them being the best. Remove that earned validation and you surely, surely lose a lot of the attraction. And if they're not in the PL/other leagues, they won't have their homegrown fans to fall back on. 

I just don't see any world where we lose these teams from the leagues unless, like I say, relying on the 'global'/consumer audience is really enough to sustain a full breakaway league forever more. I doubt the compromise they'll eventually find will be especially palatable, but I'm not sure about how much we're really on a precipice here. Just feels more like a very big play. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

A big investment from them then, which is obviously a good start, but this is supposedly forever more. Fail to see how they can sustain it. The great contradiction at the heart of all of this is that these clubs need the CL/PL too. When it comes the the global audience, their popularity/marketability has been built on their performance in traditional football competition; from them being the best. Remove that earned validation and you surely, surely lose a lot of the attraction. And if they're not in the PL/other leagues, they won't have their homegrown fans to fall back on. 

I just don't see any world where we lose these teams from the leagues unless, like I say, relying on the 'global'/consumer audience is really enough to sustain a full breakaway league forever more. I doubt the compromise they'll eventually find will be especially palatable, but I'm not sure about how much we're really on a precipice here. Just feels more like a very big play. 

They think they’ll earn up to 10 billion a year within a few seasons.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

You can basically blame Leicester City and Atalanta for this. They've upset the apple cart and these cowardly wankers now want to hide themselves away from competition. It's worse than just greed in that sense, they're actually scared of their 'brands', that they thought were untouchable, being damaged by the act of sport itself. They've decided they want the financial rewards of sport but without having to earn it, even when they start with a massive financial advantage anyway! 

Personally, I don’t think it has anything to do with the competition from these clubs. It’s a pure capitalist move to increase revenue. 

As NUFC fans we have been at the sharp end of this. The game we grew up loving no longer exists. It’s simply another revenue stream to increase portfolio diversification. 

15 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I don't think there's any way to redeem this and judging by the plans, they don't intend to make any effort to either.

Think you're right. We need to go to German model, the experiment really has now failed. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Remove that earned validation and you surely, surely lose a lot of the attraction. And if they're not in the PL/other leagues, they won't have their homegrown fans to fall back on.

Look at the NFL, that’s the model here. Which I think leaves the very real possibility that these clubs get repackaged and moved across the Atlantic after a couple decades. Why grow a league from scratch when you can just import one?

Europe/European conspicuous in its absence from the branding...

Nah it’s a disaster waiting to happen. It’ll be a novelty for a year or so and then ratings will drop. The PL can keep going but it won’t quite be the same brand by the time the others come crawling back.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Personally, I don’t think it has anything to do with the competition from these clubs. It’s a pure capitalist move to increase revenue. 

That competition diminished their revenue streams though by taking their leagues and European spots..

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s more about control than money in the long term at least. As far as these clubs are concerned Uefa are a middleman man who is no longer required. As the clubs became richer and more powerful this kind of thing became inevitable. 

This is exactly it like. Become bigger than the organisation and take over. Such shit decisions made for small term gains created this whole thing. Lax, Laissez Faire governance gave away the power held by millions who give a fuck to a small few who fucking don't, and now they want the whole fucking lot. Any fan of any of these clubs that agrees with this wants shot with shit. 

I can see the potential marketing from TSL to potential advertisers too. "Have your brand viewed by millions in 20+ markets and associated with the best clubs and footballers in the world. This unique marketing opportunity to increase your brands reach cant be matched. We offer TV ads, stadium branding, email communications, merchandise, cuck players who will advertise absolutely fucking anything cos their contracts dictate they do, shirt, shorts AND sock ad space. Contact our Account Management team now to secure your opportunity to join the most exciting spectacle in the world."

Best thing to do is for everyone to shut them out and make an example of them. They might draw international tv money right now but not for long with the same teams. Call their bluff and fuck em off them make them start from the bottom when they come crawling back. 

There has to be some expectation of literally global brand toxicity given the backlash so far. :lol: Wouldn't sponsor them for shit if I was a fortune 500.

Edited by thomas

Just now, Disco said:

That competition diminished their revenue streams though by taking their leagues and European spots..

To an extent yes, but this new structure will compensate for that. 

They definitely crave guaranteed income, makes it much easier for them to raise more debt. 

Turns out Spurs didn’t need that loan from the Govt after all :lol:

3 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Look at the NFL, that’s the model here. Which I think leaves the very real possibility that these clubs get repackaged and moved across the Atlantic after a couple decades. Why grow a league from scratch when you can just import one?

They’re not moving these clubs to the U.S. man, come on. :lol: nobody in the States has any idea this shit is happening, nor cares.

Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

They’re not moving these clubs to the U.S. man, come on. :lol: nobody in the States has any idea this shit is happening, nor cares.

:lol: my man's on that OCK podcast shit. Gets up in the middle of the night to piss, stubs his toe, and mutters "Damn Americans!" under his breath :lol: :lol:

3 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

They’re not actually saying that are they?

Imo they are by saying it's about progressing the game, they imply they'll look after all football.

When in reality it's about them getting their mitts on money, if anyone thinks they have any other thoughts that their own greed, that person(s) should be put in a mental asylum.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

This is exactly it like. Become bigger than the organisation and take over. Such shit decisions made for small term gains created this whole thing. Lax, Laissez Faire governance gave away the power held by millions who give a fuck to a small few who fucking don't, and now they want the whole fucking lot. Any fan of any of these clubs that agrees with this wants shot with shit. 

I can see the potential marketing from TSL to potential advertisers too. "Have your brand viewed by millions in 20+ markets and associated with the best clubs and footballers in the world. This unique marketing opportunity to increase your brands reach cant be matched. We offer TV ads, stadium branding, email communications, merchandise, cuck players who will advertise absolutely fucking anything cos their contracts dictate they do, shirt, shorts AND sock ad space. Contact our Account Management team now to secure your opportunity to join the most exciting spectacle in the world."

You’ve hit the nail on the head here. :thup:

The way I see it is, football over the last 30 or so years mirrors society pretty damn well. 

After all, greed is good according to our politicians. And we are “extremely relaxed” about these people getting filthy rich. 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

As NUFC fans we have been at the sharp end of this. The game we grew up loving no longer exists. It’s simply another revenue stream to increase portfolio diversification. 

The two are linked though, no? Increased competition from "smaller" teams diluting the returns available from the "bigger" teams. Kill the competition guarantee revenue. Cant have Liverpool not making the CL and not getting paid. If only people gave them the resect they deserved. 

The 15 of them can fuck off, like. UEFA tried bending over backwards for them but it wasn’t far enough.

The Premier League ‘big 6’ wanted to filter money down the leagues but in return expected the League Cup to become extinct and the Premier League to go from 20 to 18 clubs. Just go away the lot of them.

6 minutes ago, Anderson said:

That's some James-level conspiracy thinking there.

Give up the guaranteed eyeballs and income from a still rich continent so you can move Real Madrid to Cleveland to be the 5th most popular team in town behind the NFL, NBA, Baseball and College Football.

Imagine for example being the Liverpool owner and just shitting all over the Champions league and all it represents to the club, and thinking it was a good idea. Really quite staggering. :lol:

Edited by ElDiablo

Can't decide if this is just a massive elaborate threat to call uefas bluff or if this genuinely is like the death of football as we knew it. 

Stand by my initial feelings though of kicking them out and letting the rest of us fight it out. Would feel like the championship at first. But eventually it would rebuild and could actual be the reset button that football always needed by leveling the playing field.