Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

This is what happens with managers like Gerrard, who are primarily motivational. You get instant results, players who were sick of their previous manager play out of their skin. Craig Shakespeare springs to mind. Once that wears off they crumble though. See it time and time again. It will happen here too 

Feel like Gerard could be an easy sack. If he goes on of a run of say five defeats, questions will be asked and he’ll be gone and be on the managerial   merry go round. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Leicester players look shot of confidence all over the park.

Just been browsing their forum.

Unanimously Rodgers out it seems. Reckon the FA Cup win has masked 12 months of being shite.

Didn’t realise they have Spurs, Everton, Liverpool & Man City after us. Ouch. A similar Christmas period to us :lol: 

37 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

This is what happens with managers like Gerrard, who are primarily motivational. You get instant results, players who were sick of their previous manager play out of their skin. Craig Shakespeare springs to mind. Once that wears off they crumble though. See it time and time again. It will happen here too 

Gerrard isn't getting things sorted with us through being motivational.

We are clearly 10 times as well organised under him than under Dean Smith, way more organised. Not only that, he understands the concept of game managements and using subs to change the game.

We have way more defined shape, a way of playing, and he has turned Marvelous Nakamba into a really decent footballer, and all in a few weeks.

I was decidedly not a fan of his appointment, but his backroom staff (Beale especially) clearly know what they are doing, and he has retained the members of our staff who knew what they were doing. 

He's really impressed me so far. He's also clearly used to winning and has a winning mentality. Five defeats on the bounce to three wins and a creditable defeat to Man City is impressive, but it is down to far more than new manager bounce.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Gerrard isn't getting things sorted with us through being motivational.

We are clearly 10 times as well organised under him than under Dean Smith, way more organised. Not only that, he understands the concept of game managements and using subs to change the game.

We have way more defined shape, a way of playing, and he has turned Marvelous Nakamba into a really decent footballer, and all in a few weeks.

I was decidedly not a fan of his appointment, but his backroom staff (Beale especially) clearly know what they are doing, and he has retained the members of our staff who knew what they were doing. 

He's really impressed me so far. He's also clearly used to winning and has a winning mentality. Five defeats on the bounce to three wins and a creditable defeat to Man City is impressive, but it is down to far more than new manager bounce.

Yep :thup: 

I'm not usually a fan of ex-Liverpool players so I don't really want to give him credit, but everything I've read from players who worked under him has been impressive. Villa suddenly look tough and determined. City had a difficult time putting them away last week, they knew they'd been in a game by the end of it. 

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Very impressed with Gerrard so far, I didn’t want him here just because he’s a legend of a club I don’t really like. But he looks a good manager from what I’ve seen. 

Yup, was a superb player who had a canny ability to read the game and turn it on its head. Agree with a lot of what @brummie said, however, have to believe there's still that new manager bounce element and Gerrard probably has motivated this lot with his pedigree alone. 

Either way, he and Villa have been impressive since his appointment. 

Good results again for us today. I think Leeds-Brentford drawing is probably the best outcome of that. Obviously Leeds are closer so we don't want them winning, but also want to keep Brentford looking over their shoulder and worried about getting dragged in. Leicester losing and not finding form prob good too.

I would have been quite excited to have Gerrard here. I think it'd have been more of a gamble than Howe, Emery etc, but could also see it paying off. Makes sense us not going for him, Howe is a better appointment based on evidence, but can see Gerrard proving himself with time. Gerrard and Villa seem a funny fit to me - he's such a passionate figure, and there are not many PL clubs I associate less with passion than Aston Villa.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

9 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Hard to understand the antipathy towards Gerrard by many when he was a player, he was quite brilliant imo.He's started well at Villa but I wouldn't swap him for wor Eddy 

Cos he was a bit dirty, and he doesn't carry that reputation that much in media? Remember him getting away with a horrible tackle on Nobby. My dad fucking despised him and seemed to be mostly cos 'he's a dirty cunt'. I've never hated him. You'd obviously love him if he was yours.

2 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Cos he was a bit dirty, and he doesn't carry that reputation that much in media? Remember him getting away with a horrible tackle on Nobby. My dad fucking despised him and seemed to be mostly cos 'he's a dirty cunt'. I've never hated him. You'd obviously love him if he was yours.

He had his moments,nothing out of the ordinary I'd say. Hauled that side over the line quite often when they were bang average

16 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Definitely had an edge to him, Scouse vibes 'n all that. 

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

Hard to understand the antipathy towards Gerrard by many when he was a player, he was quite brilliant imo.He's started well at Villa but I wouldn't swap him for wor Eddy 

He's Liverpool through and through. When they come calling he will go. The only reason he's not there now is Klopp is just too good. Tbf, he really wanted the job here, but we would still be his second choice. Why would you trust Gerrard or Brenda when they left massive clubs in Scotland when the second clubs came calling from the PL? The first ones being us. 

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's Liverpool through and through. When they come calling he will go. The only reason he's not there now is Klopp is just too good. Tbf, he really wanted the job here, but we would still be his second choice. Why would you trust Gerrard or Brenda when they left massive clubs in Scotland when the second clubs came calling from the PL? The first ones being us. 

If Gerrard gets Klopp's job from here, then he will have done a pretty extraordinary job here, so I'll accept that.

Think of some of the utter, utter gash that has managed us and you the last decade or more. Those are the facts we're having to deal with.

Some of our most recent managers have been Tim Sherwood, Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert and Steve Bruce. Fuck me. All of those should have felt lucky to get a job in an Amazon warehouse after their showings with us, let alone Liverpool.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

If Gerrard gets Klopp's job from here, then he will have done a pretty extraordinary job here, so I'll accept that.

Think of some of the utter, utter gash that has managed us and you the last decade or more. Those are the facts we're having to deal with.

Some of our most recent managers have been Tim Sherwood, Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert and Steve Bruce. Fuck me. All of those should have felt lucky to get a job in an Amazon warehouse after their showings with us, let alone Liverpool.

:lol:  Fair play mate. Honestly I think you did well with Gerrard. I think we both did well with our appointments, the Dean Smith to Norwich still leaves me scratching my head. Sean Dyche turning up in his shirt in the snow also makes me think he's full of shit. 

16 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Remi Garde was my favourite

Felt sorry for him, he inherited an absolutely out-of-control juggernaut headed directly towards a cliff edge.

That cunt Agbonlahor being the ringleader taking the piss out of him.

If you look at some of the players we had then - Veretout, Amavi, for example, they've gone on to do very well. The club was effectively riddled with cancer.