Elliot Anderson

joeyt

13 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s like the real Ronaldo after a few knee injuries took away his explosiveness. Such a strong frame to hold people off while retaining his balance 

Steady on now :lol:

This guy reminds me of a young Elliot Anderson, I knew when I first saw him playing in the 22/23 season that he'd be a world class player. You could tell by the way he used his walk. It was no surprise he went on to win the Balloon Door. 

If Anderson genuinely is ready to play for the first team then maybe we don't need another wide player?

Anderson and Willock fighting for the LCM position, allowing Joelinton to play LW more often... with Gordon and Almiron being options on the right?

(Obviously we have a number of player who can play a number of positions but I do think you should always have a primary position)

Miley also looks like he could be the 6th choice CM behind Willock, Anderson, Bruno, Tonali and Longstaff. Mostly sub appearances and starting cup games.

If we don't have to spend on another attacker... I'd love us to go big on a LB. Theo Hernandez links earlier in the summer resurfacing would be tasty.

22 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think Theo, great player though he is, is too attacking for our system and current defensive line personally. Not sure we could get away with both him and Trippier in the same side.

Think we'd have to go 4-2-3-1 or some equivalent to make it work which probably suits Tonali and Guimaraes but none of our other central midfielders.

30 minutes ago, Shak said:

If Anderson genuinely is ready to play for the first team then maybe we don't need another wide player?

Anderson and Willock fighting for the LCM position, allowing Joelinton to play LW more often... with Gordon and Almiron being options on the right?

(Obviously we have a number of player who can play a number of positions but I do think you should always have a primary position)

Miley also looks like he could be the 6th choice CM behind Willock, Anderson, Bruno, Tonali and Longstaff. Mostly sub appearances and starting cup games.

If we don't have to spend on another attacker... I'd love us to go big on a LB. Theo Hernandez links earlier in the summer resurfacing would be tasty.

Was thinking similar. Anderson and Miley being so positive and bright talents means we can invest in those key LB and CB positions we don't have much quality in depth with. I love young players breaking through and doing well, really rooting for them.

50 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think Theo, great player though he is, is too attacking for our system and current defensive line personally. Not sure we could get away with both him and Trippier in the same side.

I'm assuming we're going to evolve beyond the current system though?

I guess the type of LB we bring in will tell us a lot, I assumed the defensive LB setup was out of necessity rather than design but maybe Howe wants to stick with it as it does allow us to push more men forward from CM with one of the fullbacks staying back.

But in my above scenario where Joelinton, Barnes, Almiron and Gordon are the primary wing options, it's not exactly the most crafty set of wide men we could have, is it? Feels like having a LB who does on that side what Trippier does on the right really helps mitigate that, which is why I could see us going for a proper attacking LB.

Would be kind of weird, having fullbacks whose best attributes are their ability going forward and wingers who excel at defending.

1st goal against Brighton was peak preseason defending. One of the defenders looked like whoever controlled him on FIFA had put the controller down and gone for a piss. Second goal was very very good.

I think his best role will be more central - he doesn't have the pace that one would like for a wide player. The difficulty is that he really needs more experience before taking on the responsibilities of central midfield in the Premiership.

So I think it's tricky. Ideally, I'd loan him out to the Championship for a season, but our squad isn't big enough to enable us to do that.

Feels like the role that Willock plays for us is where he's got the best chance of making it as a top player, really great to see he's come back in such good condition and ready to go.

I know short term it would be exciting as fuck if we went out and spent £500m on building a squad full of world class players but the likes of Anderson and Miley coming through and contributing would be so satisfying.