Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle United - 18/01/2021 - post match from p22

Disco

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “We gave as good as we got and got into ourselves some decent opportunities but that little bit of confidence has ebbed away for sure. We were caught in the second half where we didn’t see it coming from the first-half performance.

“I certainly think in the first half we got ourselves into decent positions but that little bit of quality has gone as a confidence thing and that happens when you are on a run like we are.

“The only way it comes back is with a couple of victories. We just have to keep working at it.

“We have tried. To win a game you have to score a goal. We always knew we entering a really difficult run of games. To play Arsenal, Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City we always knew it was going to be difficult against these top teams.

“You have seen their [the players] approach. We are disappointed because we have been caught trying to get forward. Two passes and they are in on our goal. That is something we have to learn from and understand. The reason we have been defending deep was to avoid situations like that. We have to get the balance right and we will keep working on it."

On his own position: “I am trying to do the best I possibly can as always but you will have to ask others about that.”

Lacelles is such a company man now too.

Shame on him.

Most players just trot out the company line, hard to read too much into it really.

He didn't trot out the company line, at Southampton all those years ago (which is why Rafa made him captain)

Bollocks to him.

Lacelles is such a company man now too.

Shame on him.

Most players just trot out the company line, hard to read too much into it really.

He didn't trot out the company line, at Southampton all those years ago (which is why Rafa made him captain)

Bollocks to him.

I lost respect when he was tonguing Ashley’s hoop the other year.

Am I mis-hearing or has Carragher suggested that the difference in performance between Sheff Utd and Arsenal like having a new manager? :lol:

Said at HT we were offensive - I found that comment offensive too

We were fkn tripe start to finish

Wuh gave as good as wuh got

20210118-223521.jpg

We're the only team in the league to yet have over 50% possession in a game, with our average before tonight being 37% iirc, which is the lowest in the league. So we even managed to worsen that stat, despite being too attacking :lol:

So a few things:

Lewis:  I know you are young but you aint a premier league player.  He needs to be removed from the firing line and brought on as a sub only.  Needs to ideally go on loan.  His positioning and body strength is just so weak.

Kraft:  Crap at crossing and defending - sell and play jacob or the other right back (I can't even remember his name)

Shelvey:  Just don't play him again and sell.  4 year extension for this dick - can't run, can't tackle, can't be arsed and a nice pass 1 in 10

Joelinton:  He is not a striker, he is not a left winger so the only place is to play him at No 10.  Ideally NUFC will just admit defeat and loan him out.  £40M for him, £40k is too much.

Bruce:  He has no idea, he has lost the dressing room and I can't see where the next goal is coming from, never mind the next win.  If you are going to play Carol up front then play wingers that can cross the ball and tell him to play on the last man.  No point him dropping deep as he doesn't have the legs for it.  look for the knock on's to Wilson.  That is it, that is your sole job other than come back to defend corners.

Summary:  Without change of owner and manager, NUFC is going down and will continue to go down thereafter.

“They’ve got poor players, they’re poor defensively and poor going forward, it’s tough for Steve”

He is right as I’ve said we are largely a squad of championship players, the likes of Joelinton, Almiron, Murphy etc are not decent premier league players and I would argue we don’t have a single serviceable central midfield pairing at the club. Any new manager would have a huge job on their hands still and it would still be shit to watch. And I’m the biggest Bruce hater going. New owner is the only answer as the club is a shambles top to bottom.

Yeah, I find it difficult to think of a midfield that isn't going to struggle. Our more skilful players - the Longstaffs and Shelvey - are slow and don't defend well. Hendrick and Hayden are poor in possession. Murphy tries hard, but his better role is probably wing back. Joelinton is too cumbersome for the Premiership. Almiron and ASM can make things happen, but we end up hoping for a flash of individualism rather than a good combination - which is perhaps our best bet.

I had hopes that Fraser might do well, but injury and now suspension has kept him out of the picture.

Weird how S. Longstaff and Almiron (along with Lascelles, Schär, Lejuene & Dubravka) looked like top 6 players under our previous manager.

Not so much weird as complete fantasy.

Are you forgetting that he was part of the EFL owners who wanted to give the likes of Man Utd powers that would allow them to block takeovers like ours?

Him saying that is like putting out your windows and saying you could with some double glazing.

No definitely not. I don't believe the premier league have much to do with the EFL. Nor do I believe that Gary Neville has much influence with the hierarchy at Man U when it comes to matters of this scale. If he did I'd imagine he'd be dissuaded from encouraging attempts at any sort of takeover.

I haven't got a clue how any of you still have the inclination to put a scintilla of emotional investment into this anymore. You're all still having the same conversations you were ten years ago.

"I sure hope someone goes on Sky and explains that we don't expect to qualify for the Champions League!"

Just give it up.

I haven't got a clue how any of you still have the inclination to put a scintilla of emotional investment into this anymore. You're all still having the same conversations you were ten years ago.

"I sure hope someone goes on Sky and explains that we don't expect to qualify for the Champions League!"

Just give it up.

This. Basically at the battered spouse level now.