Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

I wouldn’t really expect someone to resign who gets paid millions if they get sacked. 

I don’t understand why managers have to be paid when they get sacked, surely some level of performance failure should enable them to be sacked for free? 

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I wouldn’t really expect someone to resign who gets paid millions if they get sacked. 

I don’t understand why managers have to be paid when they get sacked, surely some level of performance failure should enable them to be sacked for free? 

It would turn in to a cluster fuck. You'd have managers suing for unfair dismissal citing insufficient transfer backing, injuries etc.

If that little nest egg was removed from contracts, as in, you’ve done really shit at your job and we have to fire you oh but here’s a few million for your troubles..

It would have such a positive knock on effect in terms of British coaches. They would have incentive to actually do better and become better at their jobs.

As none of them are in a position to actually win anything, success for a PFM is avoiding relegation and having said “safe as houses contract” - it enables cunts like Steve Bruce to keep moving like a leech from club to club and making a lucrative career out of it

28 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Whenever I do it, it always ends up going to the last game of the season.

We basically need to beat Sheffield Utd and one of West Ham or Arsenal at home or Burnley away. If we win 2 games ahead of the Fulham game it'll be in our hands. Albeit we'd need to avoid defeat on the final day to stay up.

Villa vs Fulham is a big one after the international break. If Fulham lose that it'll be 3 defeats on the spin and any momentum they did have will be gone. Need to hope Grealish is back.

If we do stay up then Bruce has achieved his target and will likely stay on for another season / remainder of his contract. There is so much to look forward to as  Newcastle fan. 

42 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We had to offer him something to leave the mighty Sheffield Wednesday. I suspect that he was so in demand than he could basically ask for whatever he wanted. We were very lucky to get him. Sorry, very very lucky.

Edited by Shearergol

26 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

If that little nest egg was removed from contracts, as in, you’ve done really shit at your job and we have to fire you oh but here’s a few million for your troubles..

It would have such a positive knock on effect in terms of British coaches. They would have incentive to actually do better and become better at their jobs.

As none of them are in a position to actually win anything, success for a PFM is avoiding relegation and having said “safe as houses contract” - it enables cunts like Steve Bruce to keep moving like a leech from club to club and making a lucrative career out of it

They all kiss the badge and say "Money Money Money!"

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Just listened to Alex's bit on 5 Live.  I like Richards, but he came across badly.  Never really had a point, just didn't want to criticise his mate.  

As for Sutton.... Well, we all know what a whopper he is.  But he was just making points for the sake of an argument and was just wasting valuable air time with nonsense.  When we could have been listening to Alex, who came across very well, by the way.  Going into more detail about how poor we are under Bruce. 

At least he was honest about it. Sutton just plays the bad faith actor/contrarian role to keep himself relevant. He's good at it to be fair but it sure doesn't improve discourse around us, football or in the wider media where we see it so much.

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Chappers was pretty good.  Actually challenged the 'experts' on some of their views.  Not sure who the Rory fella was, but he also 'got it.'  Shut down Sutton for yet another one of his inane points, which was particularly enjoyable.  

Rory Smith, NY Times. Not a gobshite.

RE: doing the predictor it's pretty pointless IMO, there's always a barrel load of freak results between now and the end of the season usually and that's without Covid/nee crowds adding to it. Bound to a game too where the opposition doesn't turn up because they're on the domestic beach. Wouldn't shock me if our GD ended up being the deciding factor.

44 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

If we do stay up then Bruce has achieved his target and will likely stay on for another season / remainder of his contract. There is so much to look forward to as  Newcastle fan. 

He wouldn’t last 2 games with the fans back in stadium. He already looks like he’s cracking 

The sole reason this prick took the NUFC job was because, in his head, he saw it as one last easy payday. Fail in the job just like he has in every other and he gets the windfall pay-off. He's made a fortune off doing it with other clubs.

Except this time he has come up against Ashley, who is going to make him suffer, rather than be taken to the cleaners by a chancer. After all, nobody recognizes a wide boy like another wide boy.

To be honest, as much as I hate Ashley, I have a sneaky admiration of his stance here. He's certainly got balls, and is prepared to risk the vast loss in the value of the club if relegated. I guess, even at this level & no matter how much money is stake, it all comes down to ego and not being shafted by someone.

26 minutes ago, RS said:

No training. No strikers. He’s actively trying to get sacked. Mexican stand off between him and Ashley now

Yes but the difference is that Bruce isn’t in on the joke. We get relegated we get our takeover. I’d even go as far to say that PIF are still committed to giving Ashley his 300m as a gentleman’s handshake for facilitating it.

There’s no way he would actively sabotage the potential sale money if that was an issue. His total inactivity to do anything (this time) is far more deliberate.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yes but the difference is that Bruce isn’t in on the joke. We get relegated we get our takeover. I’d even go as far to say that PIF are still committed to giving Ashley his 300m as a gentleman’s handshake for facilitating it.

There’s no way he would actively sabotage the potential sale money if that was an issue. His total inactivity to do anything (this time) is far more deliberate.

Why are you so certain of this? PL and EFL tests are quite aligned now aren't they?

Just did that Chronicle predictor. Even without predicting any shock wins for Brighton they have plenty games you'd fancy them to grind out a draw in. Have them 7 points clear of us purely through an accumulation of draws and a win at Sheff Utd.

Everything points towards our last game against Fulham being a cup final to stay in the league, and there's absolutely no way you could back us in that type of game.

Said it a while back, it'll probably end up being a Mitro winner to send us down despite him barely featuring this year. Maybe Maja.

Even that hinges on us managing to put away Sheff Utd mind.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It must be in their contract that if the club want rid of him before the end of the contract compensation must be paid.

I wish I had a contracts like that in the jobs I've had.

33 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Why are you so certain of this? PL and EFL tests are quite aligned now aren't they?

The basic tests that the consortium would have sailed through yes but the difference is that the EFL are not beholden to BeIn, Qatar, or any of the lobbying by clubs like Liverpool or Spurs and certainly not the PL.

I don’t have any inside information, just strong intuition. I’ve been negative about the takeover for a while but now seeing what’s happening on the pitch, the club, there isn’t even as much as a fight to get out of this mess, it looks like a deliberate self inflicted wound. How can it not be?

I’m guessing the arbitration is not going well or is going to take too long. So this is a strong plan B which they have agreed on.

Sticking with Bruce ensures this as a reality, the time to act was a month ago and they didn’t. Our fixtures from here on out are horrendous. Even a change of manager at this stage would do very little. They went into this with their eyes open. Jones was a token gesture, I suppose they can’t make it look too obvious what they’re doing..

I believe that Ashley likes him and doesn't care. He'll never employ another ambitious manager as he can't be arsed with the hassle.
That's the easiest answer - if Bruce does go, we'll get a compliant clone in the shape of a Hughes or a Warnock.

So - what's the point?

Edited by Pons Alias

12 minutes ago, Ben said:

Aye, to late to change now, I think i want Bruce to own this relegation 

Don't understand this way of thinking? How’s it too late? A new manager lift, even just a manager that picks the right players (ie not Jeff Hendrick or Joelinton) could be enough to get 2-3 wins 

Aye don't think it's ever too late to make a positive change. It might not have the impact it needs but sacking Bruce is a low-risk move at this point. You could even recoup the four mill if you went on a run and finished a few places higher.