Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Spurs finished above Arsenal in 1993 and 1995 for what its worth

:thup:

May well be overthinking it.  But seeing as it has been over 20 years.  You would have thought the club and players would be well up for it.

Sunderland have 3 games left and only need 1 win and 1 draw... They have Watford & Everton still to play... I can see us beating Villa but unless we beat Spurs last game I think we will go down.  In that sense it is in our own hands I guess. 

If we do go down so be it but I really dont want to lose Rafa.

I just thought I would throw this stat in here.

Since they have came back up Sunderland have never been in the relegation zone at the 35 game mark.

They weren't this season either, it was our 36th game that took us above them - do you know if the same still applies?

I just thought I would throw this stat in here.

Since they have came back up Sunderland have never been in the relegation zone at the 35 game mark.

They weren't this season either, it was our 36th game that took us above them - do you know if the same still applies?

I looked to see if they had ever been in the relegation zone at the same stage as it is for them, they haven't. They have always been out of the relegation zone by this stage. I think the closest they have to being in the relegation zone at this stage is was at the 34 game mark and their 35th game took them out. Typically they don't usually gain many points at this stage either. I think they gained 6 points once, however that was a season when they finished mid table and had far more points than they typically do.

As much as we think they do last minute survivals they actually don't, they have usually clawed their way to safety at this stage and they typically finish a few places away from the relegation zone. An exception to this is last season when they finished 17th, however their survival was assured before the last day, and as I said they had done their survival work before now.

If they are usually out of the relegation zone at this stage, does that mean they are usually safe at that point?  In which case, it might just mean that once they are mathematically safe, they switch off - and then of course they don't bother playing until the following January when desperation once again kicks in.

fwiw, and sorry if Giggs, but Chelsea's away form, last eight played.

W6 D1 L1 F16 A4 19 points

That's best in the league.

Everton's is

W2 D4 L2 F10 A10

The losses were the Merseyside Derby (0-4) and at Old Trafford (0-1). Which means they've only conceded five in the other six games, in three of which they got clean sheets.

If Sunderland win both of those games, they deserve to stay up.

Regarding Norwich's fixtures, Man U have been a surprising soft touch away from home. They lost recently to both the mackems and WBA. Last eight away.

P8 W2 D2 L4 F7 A12

The hope is that with Man City also sleepwalking, Man U won't have given up on CL and can give it a go. I can't see it myself, but Norwich winning that early game would change the relegation picture again.

Both Norwich and Sunderland play Watford. Watford's away record vs. the bottom six is P6 W5 L1 D0. Watford's season form is CL or title winning against bottom half teams, and next to nothing against the top. Their record vs. the top five is P10 L10.

Anyway, just some numbers to contemplate when you look at our rivals' fixtures. The clearest trend of all is us getting nothing from away games, and that's the one that has to change.

Good stuff :thup:

People are looking into this far too deeply. Whatever has happened in the past has no bearing on the future results and will tell us nothing. Win our last 2 games and we will almost certainly stop up, beating Villa might be enough to keep us up. The mackems are under massive pressure and they could lose at anytime. If we beat Villa and the other 2 teams around us fail to win then the pressure on them will be as great as the pressure Spurs were under and look how they reacted on Monday.

I don't care if it takes until the very last kick of the ball to beat Villa, in fact that could be even better if Norwich and the mackems think we've blown it.

I can't wait for Saturday, this week is dragging.

If they are usually out of the relegation zone at this stage, does that mean they are usually safe at that point?  In which case, it might just mean that once they are mathematically safe, they switch off - and then of course they don't bother playing until the following January when desperation once again kicks in.

A bit of both. As it happens like I have said the same usually applies to other clubs as well, the majority of the work is usually done by now.

For the record Leicester were out of the relegation zone at this stage last season and a few places above it, so again as much as people think of teams doing last minute survivals it's actually rare.

Quite remarkable that Sunderland and Norwich's last two games will be against the same opposition, Everton and Watford.

Lets hope both are not at the beach, neither has anything to play for and looking like both will change manager in the summer so no-one to impress.

Sunderland have 3 games left and only need 1 win and 1 draw... They have Watford & Everton still to play... I can see us beating Villa but unless we beat Spurs last game I think we will go down.  In that sense it is in our own hands I guess. 

If we do go down so be it but I really dont want to lose Rafa.

On the basis of the scum winning one and drawing one (agreed, quite possible) a win for us vs Villa and draw against Spuds would keep us up (also possible)

Quite remarkable that Sunderland and Norwich's last two games will be against the same opposition, Everton and Watford.

Lets hope both are not at the beach, neither has anything to play for and looking like both will change manager in the summer so no-one to impress.

Their form against the lower clubs suggests they've not given up yet. Last six games vs. bottom half.

Everton W3 D2 L1 (W7 D7 L2 for the season)

Watford W4 D2 L0 (W9 D5 L2 for the season)

Both teams are mid table due to an inability to beat anyone good. Everton's record vs. top half is the same as ours, and Watford's is worse.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez is now facing the media and he starts with an injury update - Gareth Barry and Seamus Coleman have an "outside chance" of facing new Premier League champions Leicester on Saturday.

Spaniard Gerard Deulofeu is likely to miss the rest of the season but captain Phil Jagielka could return for the final game of the season against Norwich on 15 May.

:milner:

http://i.imgur.com/eU4qRCB.jpg

At least we're the Wildlings.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(From the Men In Blazers Game of Thrones themed episode)

That's ace :lol: Can you link me to where it came from, was it a TV show or something?

-3 – in Rafa we trust!

I’m confident but I’d be a hell of a lot more so if it wasn’t for that injury time (handball!) goal at Norwich as we’d be two ahead of Sunderland and Norwich would be virtually gone now!

Guest Howaythetoon

Regardless of what happens, Rafa has came in and in such a short space of time especially given how his methods and ways usually take time to work, has given us a real chance of staying up and the team are now fighting for their Premier League lives. Fans also now can hope and believe that we can stay up. Before Rafa I actually wanted us to go down. Now, although it would hurt Ashley and be what the club and some fans deserve, I want us to stay up. For him, for the players that do care, Townsend, Darlow, Dummett even, Lascelles. The players that have a future at the club. I want us to stay up as well because I think Rafa can be the best thing to happen to us since Sir Bobby. Providing the cunt of an owner relinquishes full and absolute control to him of course.

Regardless of what happens, Rafa has came in and in such a short space of time especially given how his methods and ways usually take time to work, has given us a real chance of staying up and the team are now fighting for their Premier League lives. Fans also now can hope and believe that we can stay up. Before Rafa I actually wanted us to go down. Now, although it would hurt Ashley and be what the club and some fans deserve, I want us to stay up. For him, for the players that do care, Townsend, Darlow, Dummett even, Lascelles. The players that have a future at the club. I want us to stay up as well because I think Rafa can be the best thing to happen to us since Sir Bobby. Providing the c*** of an owner relinquishes full and absolute control to him of course.

Beautiful as always mate!