Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United - 24/04/21

Disco

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think the amount of wrong decisions was excessive before VAR, it’s was just the focus of the media and the conversation for some reason. They prefer that than talking about why teams actually won and lost.

Personally I think we should just accept that football isn’t an exact science and that there will be mistakes. 

A form of VAR works in the NFL because that sport exists to magnify tiny margins allied with stats. It's all wrapped up in their package with advertising and it's what the game demands. Our football, it's far too fast paced and it just doesn't work overall. Even if the decisions were correct most of the time, it wouldn't feel right, the game loses too much of it's essence.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Surely there is a technology now, like them vests that all footballers wear, that can automatically tell you when a player is offside. If you can know the exact moment a ball is passed, the vest or whatever tech would be able to pick up whether the forward or defender is further ahead of the play.

The players might not want radio waves on their nipples.

I think the magnitude of the game has a lot to do with it. A mistake in a meaningless game without VAR would go down to "that's football" but when it's the World Cup final at stake everybody would be begging for VAR to award the correct decision. 

In needs competent people to run it and the rules need to be made clear and consistent. 

Edited by Scotty66

Just now, Joey Linton said:

Its simple for me. Is the technology (a) getting all the decisions right, and if not (b) is it at least improving the game as a spectacle. 

If the answer to both is no then its not worth the hassle. 

Thing is, the technology doesn’t even make half the decisions. It just creates another set of circumstances that a human can use to mess up. May as well just let them mess up in the normal way and keep the game flowing. 

It was interesting to hear Peter Walton's analysis of the decision, and a good counterbalance to the remarkable ignorance of the laws displayed by these professional pundits who are paid handsomely for their so-called expertise. FFS, is it too much to ask for these guys to spend a bit of time keeping on top of their subject?

It's tough when it's your own side, but I'm not convinced that it would have been a goal pre-VAR either, assuming the ref had seen it. Even if the handball had appeared accidental, I think most refs wouldn't have given it - partly out of erring on the side of caution, given the importance of the decision, and partly from an instinct that goals shouldn't be scored when a handball precedes it in that way.

The thing that annoys me most about the VAR decision is that TAA clearly pushes him in the back just before he gets to the keeper. Anywhere else on the pitch and it's the clearest foul ever

55 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think the amount of wrong decisions was excessive before VAR, it’s was just the focus of the media and the conversation for some reason. They prefer that than talking about why teams actually won and lost.

Personally I think we should just accept that football isn’t an exact science and that there will be mistakes. 

Agreed. Keep the goal line thing and get rid of the rest.