Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

3 minutes ago, duo said:

Did he bring in Welbeck? 

You do realize bringing one player in thats a bit of a dud doesn't mean he should be discarded and is awful at his job right? Like if thats the metric people are judged on there wouldnt be a single DoF or Manager around :lol: 

Is Welbeck even a dud? Hasn't he done okay-ish at Brighton, despite obviously succumbing to injury again? I assumed he was basically like our Carroll signing; free, cheap, clearly past his best, bit of a gamble, fills a squad place. Only in Welbeck's case he's actually managed to get on the scoresheet half a dozen or so times... before inevitably getting injured.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

:lol: I don' know enough about him to have an opinion, but this nonsense. The reason people wanted Overmars or Emanalo is their dremonstrably elite results at elite clubs. That isn't because they had "foreign names".

You'd also think it's possibly easier to achieve that at "elite" clubs.

15 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

:lol: I don' know enough about him to have an opinion, but this nonsense. The reason people wanted Overmars or Emanalo is their dremonstrably elite results at elite clubs. That isn't because they had "foreign names".

And completely ignores Michael Edwards being at the top of most people's lists 

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Is Welbeck even a dud? Hasn't he done okay-ish at Brighton, despite obviously succumbing to injury again? I assumed he was basically like our Carroll signing; free, cheap, clearly past his best, bit of a gamble, fills a squad place. Only in Welbeck's case he's actually managed to get on the scoresheet half a dozen or so times... before inevitably getting injured.

He's not a dud at all, he's a good player with high ceiling for low money. Injury record obviously being the downside. 

I do understand people being underwhelmed by being linked to candidates from Brighton rather than from elite clubs in Spain or The Netherlands, for example. We do have sizeable financial backing so you'd have thought we'd be able to attract the best but we're also knee deep in a relegation battle with below par 20th century infrastructure and so that might not appeal to a lot of the more elite directors of football, which is understandable too. Although it does present a good challenge someone can really sink their teeth into. Maybe an issue with candidates based overseas is they may have a certain degree of reluctance to move abroad, certainly to Britain, whilst there's still uncertainty surrounding whatever wave of covid we're amongst at the moment or that is being faced in the country they're residing in now. Could be further complicated if they have children in school or other such logical factors that are made a wee bit more tricky at the moment. Eddie Howe himself has similar concerns/experiences and he's just travelling within the country. Probably just installed Zoom or Microsoft Teams though. 

There are many factors, loads that I don't comprehend or understand, I'm just excited to see how it all works out!

22 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's not a dud at all, he's a good player with high ceiling for low money. Injury record obviously being the downside. 

Wow this exchange had me check out what Welbeck's been up to of late. Didn't realise he's 31. I feel old.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Sean negative about a decision taken by the new consortium shocker.

Aye, that stopped me right in my tracks. :lol:

I thought, "Sean doesn't fancy this........WHAAAAT???

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

He could be called Cunty McCuntface for all I care. My expectations aren’t going to be lowered on his fucking name.

We’re still not in a position to be able to go out and immediately hire the best in the business across every area. Do you you know if he’s had to work within certain parameters at Brighton? No. We’ve had a tea boy/secretary doing everything for years and whenever a new role has been created it’s been down to cronyism. 

The context of not rating a man called Dan Ashworth, is few English coach or football person has spearheaded major European success. There's few Englishmen that have been at the cutting edge of the game in the last 20 years. You have dude who was at Leicester, Michael Edwards at Liverpool but there are not many.

You've focussed in on the name part. But overall, it's not the most exciting appointment. He's not brought in numerous players peanuts and sold them on for £50m+ or sold to big clubs like Southampton a few years ago. Brighton don't have a production line of prospects. No genius managerial appointments. If it's a foreign name there's a possibility they've been involved in some of the massive successes abroad that we don't know in detail e.g. RedBull key people, Sevilla, Benfica production line, Ajax revival and production line, Atalanta, Sassuolo, key people behind THAT Monaco team etc.

1 hour ago, James said:

Thanks for sharing. A lot of this is creating links between FA & Clubs. And as I thought, a lot of this is down to the Clubs improving their youth systems but Ashworth definitely seems intelligent and capable.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Let's hope so. Too many of our fans expecting us to compete with Man City next season.

Fair point.

City won their first league title with Brain Marwood as DoF who join the year of the Takeover. He did a good job, brought in Mancini, Silva, Aguero etc. then City hit a cieling and moved him upstairs. It was then they brought in Txiki & co. from Barcelona and they've gone to another level.

I think Ashworth could be a great appointment and his CV from a on the field perspective seems to be solid, competenent work in difficult circumstances. But it's not exciting. He's not been closely involved in anything regarding the ELITE in European football that some of us were perhaps hoping for.

Edited by The College Dropout

Based off what I read, I see a bright and intelligent man who's modern thinking, set up some fantastic structures at the international level with England and at Brighton for the last few years. Those articles are exciting. Give this guy a real competitive budget and see what he can do. 

19 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Based off what I read, I see a bright and intelligent man who's modern thinking, set up some fantastic structures at the international level with England and at Brighton for the last few years. Those articles are exciting. Give this guy a real competitive budget and see what he can do. 

Yeah read a bit of one of those articles, and he seems a million miles from Charnley. Could turn out to be a top, top appointment just based on what I'm reading, seems really tuned in and the interviews suggest a high level of expertise in running a football club.

Have to say, I agree with both WBCP and TCD.

It’s perfectly fine to look at this guy’s CV and be underwhelmed, particularly when stacked against the names that’ve been mentioned previously. At the same time, we’re probably not in a position to land a top tier candidate. So we have to take a flyer on a guy who may be underrated and looking for his first big break.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Boils my piss when people are scoffing at properly run clubs like Brighton being the best they can be.

We are literally the only club in the top flight who have been run the exact opposite way, intentionally crippled. Ashley literally took the copper wiring out of the building when this club was sold.

A shell of a stadium, shell of a club structure, shells of players.

This isn't speed chess, rebuilding this i mean, this is start from scratch while somehow attempt to get a tune out of the first team. It's going to take time.

The news of this guy being interviewed just shows they are playing a long game and not making panic decisions and also seem to have faith in an English run structure, which has surprised me.

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Boils my piss when people are scoffing at properly run clubs like Brighton being the best they can be.

We are literally the only club in the top flight who have been run the exact opposite way, intentionally crippled. Ashley literally took the copper wiring out of the building when this club was sold.

A shell of a stadium, shell of a club structure, shells of players.

This isn't speed chess, rebuilding this i mean, this is start from scratch while somehow attempt to get a tune out of the first team. It's going to take time.

The news of this guy being interviewed just shows they are playing a long game and not making panic decisions and also seem to have faith in an English run structure, which has surprised me.

Surprised me too, for the better . Be a great appointment.