Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Must admit that I was neutral but I wasn't aware of how he'd used his time after leaving Bournemouth to learn and improve. Trippier says that Eddie spent a period at AC Milan while he was there and that they had spent a lot of time together. He travelled to learn from different coaches and I really admire him for that. 

I could never be arsed to start going through old posts but there were some crazy takes at the time.

I'll always take umbrage at the idea the team was performing as bad as under Bruce with no indication of progression. If it was Mclaren-like and showed no progression by the end of the season I would've been asking questions but you could pretty quickly see the way he was trying to go even if it didn't produce results. In the same way it did with Rafa, albeit it took a bit longer, it was going to take time to wash the stink off. 

Edited by wormy

I genuinely don't know why people always bring up "i always believed in him!" or the opposite. 

He's fucking mint. One of the best in the league, in europe and in world football since he took us over. 

I barely post in this thread anymore as what is there to say? He’s a phenomenal manager. Not only are we having the best season since I was a kid in terms of results but I don’t think I’ve enjoyed football by us as much, apart from the Keegan years part 1.  We’re so solid that I don’t fear for us in any matches, we carve teams up and our football is likely only going to get better. Can’t wait for him to win a trophy with us 

Hands in the air I was concerned about his defensive record, I wasn't a fan of the 3-4-3 he sometimes used at bournemouth and concerned he wasn't tactically sophisticated to play a modern high press. (Having said all that that isn't to say I wasn't willing to give him a chance, I absolutely was)

I was completely, utterly wrong and very glad to be. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Reading back my posts from then and seeing I never turned on him and more or less what I thought should happen in regards to signings ended up happening.

XaASxNI.gif

I remember me and you defending him at the time, as I distinctly remember every game we lost being positive in some way, and he wasn't getting the rub of the green :lol:

On 03/05/2023 at 12:06, Rich said:

I'm not sure there's a non-NUFC player/ex-player I've ever liked more than Ian Wright, mind. Proper chad.

If there is one player I'd have liked to see in a B&W shirt it's Wrighty. He'd have been loved up here, and I think it would have been reciprocated. He's always been complimentary about us, from my memory.

23 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I barely post in this thread anymore as what is there to say? He’s a phenomenal manager. Not only are we having the best season since I was a kid in terms of results but I don’t think I’ve enjoyed football by us as much, apart from the Keegan years part 1.  We’re so solid that I don’t fear for us in any matches, we carve teams up and our football is likely only going to get better. Can’t wait for him to win a trophy with us 

Well, usually.

;-)

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Bizarre time anyway. I'm still not fully shifted from the negative mentality change which the club has done so well to remove. I still don't fully believe, I'd still be on the boo box with the scorpions as Im not sure I'll ever shake the bad things ready to happen to us.

Same here. If you've been following the club for long enough then the last 18 months simply isn't enough time to wash away the doubt. The cup final defeat simply maintained the doubt for me, to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If there is one player I'd have liked to see in a B&W shirt it's Wrighty. He'd have been loved up here, and I think it would have been reciprocated. He's always been complimentary about us, from my memory.

He was pro Pardew iirc when he was having his initial bump at Palace. Shearer's obviously had words. :lol: Love the bloke to bits now. 

On 03/05/2023 at 12:06, Rich said:

I'm not sure there's a non-NUFC player/ex-player I've ever liked more than Ian Wright, mind. Proper chad.

Spurs supporting friend said he would give them the ‘wanker gesture’ but from under his shirt whenever he had to collect the ball near them. ? 

Despite our form in the second half of last season, if anyone had said in the summer that Howe would have us sat in a Champions League spot in May they would have been laughed at.

We are 14 points behind Man City which isn’t much at all, it is the same distance between ourselves and Spurs/Villa if we win our game in hand.

With 3 or 4 quality signings there is no reason that we can’t make gains in closing that gap with City, we have both lost 4 yet we have drawn 7 more games, coincidentally we drew 7 games against current bottom half teams.

it is crazy how far he has taken us in the last 18 months and I think he’s capable of taking us further over the next few years.

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He was pro Pardew iirc when he was having his initial bump at Palace. Shearer's obviously had words. :lol: Love the bloke to bits now. 

Cheers. I was going to say I recall hating him for some of his NUFC-related takes before he and Shearer became mainstays on MOTD, but I couldn't remember what takes they were. :lol:

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree it's annoying, but understandable to a degree that he backed him considering they played together at Palace from 87 - 91. Annoying in the same way Shearer was backing up Bruce until the last month/weeks of his stay here.

4 hours ago, jack j said:

Whats your brothers thoughts thesedays?

Admits he was completely wrong as have I about some of my concerns about the defensive side of things. He was far more sceptical than me. Blimey you pulled this one out of the past ?

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Admits he was completely wrong as have I about some of my concerns about the defensive side of things. He was far more sceptical than me. Blimey you pulled this one out of the past ?

That was a realistic concern, which I shared at the time, although I was never anti-Howe. Normally, the first priority for a team fighting relegation is to strengthen the defence. We had an attack-minded manager, and I didn't think we had the players to handle a more attacking game. We had spent the previous 5 years playing defensive football so it needed a complete turn around in mentality, which was very difficult to imagine, with the pressure we were under.

In a sense, we were all wrong - it's only a question of degree. I thought Eddie was a good manager, but I didn't realise how good. What he has achieved with this squad is breathtaking.

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe says that the club’s long-term aim is not just to finish in the Champions League but to “overtake everybody”.

Asked whether Sunday’s opponents Arsenal were the next target in Newcastle’s progress up the Premier League table, Howe replied: “The aim is to try and catch and overtake everybody.

Love that.

33 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe says that the club’s long-term aim is not just to finish in the Champions League but to “overtake everybody”.

Asked whether Sunday’s opponents Arsenal were the next target in Newcastle’s progress up the Premier League table, Howe replied: “The aim is to try and catch and overtake everybody.

Love that.

This is exactly what we want to hear. Ambition.