Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Bizarre time anyway. I'm still not fully shifted from the negative mentality change which the club has done so well to remove. I still don't fully believe, I'd still be on the boo box with the scorpions as Im not sure I'll ever shake the bad things ready to happen to us.

Same here. If you've been following the club for long enough then the last 18 months simply isn't enough time to wash away the doubt. The cup final defeat simply maintained the doubt for me, to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If there is one player I'd have liked to see in a B&W shirt it's Wrighty. He'd have been loved up here, and I think it would have been reciprocated. He's always been complimentary about us, from my memory.

He was pro Pardew iirc when he was having his initial bump at Palace. Shearer's obviously had words. :lol: Love the bloke to bits now. 

On 03/05/2023 at 12:06, Rich said:

I'm not sure there's a non-NUFC player/ex-player I've ever liked more than Ian Wright, mind. Proper chad.

Spurs supporting friend said he would give them the ‘wanker gesture’ but from under his shirt whenever he had to collect the ball near them. ? 

Despite our form in the second half of last season, if anyone had said in the summer that Howe would have us sat in a Champions League spot in May they would have been laughed at.

We are 14 points behind Man City which isn’t much at all, it is the same distance between ourselves and Spurs/Villa if we win our game in hand.

With 3 or 4 quality signings there is no reason that we can’t make gains in closing that gap with City, we have both lost 4 yet we have drawn 7 more games, coincidentally we drew 7 games against current bottom half teams.

it is crazy how far he has taken us in the last 18 months and I think he’s capable of taking us further over the next few years.

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He was pro Pardew iirc when he was having his initial bump at Palace. Shearer's obviously had words. :lol: Love the bloke to bits now. 

Cheers. I was going to say I recall hating him for some of his NUFC-related takes before he and Shearer became mainstays on MOTD, but I couldn't remember what takes they were. :lol:

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree it's annoying, but understandable to a degree that he backed him considering they played together at Palace from 87 - 91. Annoying in the same way Shearer was backing up Bruce until the last month/weeks of his stay here.

4 hours ago, jack j said:

Whats your brothers thoughts thesedays?

Admits he was completely wrong as have I about some of my concerns about the defensive side of things. He was far more sceptical than me. Blimey you pulled this one out of the past ?

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Admits he was completely wrong as have I about some of my concerns about the defensive side of things. He was far more sceptical than me. Blimey you pulled this one out of the past ?

That was a realistic concern, which I shared at the time, although I was never anti-Howe. Normally, the first priority for a team fighting relegation is to strengthen the defence. We had an attack-minded manager, and I didn't think we had the players to handle a more attacking game. We had spent the previous 5 years playing defensive football so it needed a complete turn around in mentality, which was very difficult to imagine, with the pressure we were under.

In a sense, we were all wrong - it's only a question of degree. I thought Eddie was a good manager, but I didn't realise how good. What he has achieved with this squad is breathtaking.

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe says that the club’s long-term aim is not just to finish in the Champions League but to “overtake everybody”.

Asked whether Sunday’s opponents Arsenal were the next target in Newcastle’s progress up the Premier League table, Howe replied: “The aim is to try and catch and overtake everybody.

Love that.

33 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe says that the club’s long-term aim is not just to finish in the Champions League but to “overtake everybody”.

Asked whether Sunday’s opponents Arsenal were the next target in Newcastle’s progress up the Premier League table, Howe replied: “The aim is to try and catch and overtake everybody.

Love that.

This is exactly what we want to hear. Ambition. 

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Love that.

In the eyes of the EPL we’re like Lord Sauron trying to rule the big six with the One Ring of Power. 

Sir Edward Howe: “We’re not here to simply compete, we want to be the One Team, To Rule Them All!!!”

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

Was it the Maddison offer than had the champions league clause in it that everyone laughed at us about? Not laughing now are they. 

Good point actually. Wonder if there's many clubs out there kicking themselves for missing out on a tidy bonus that they may have laughed us out of the room for making. 

18 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

There are some on here who have a history of going off the deep end about everything. Pilko is not one I would put into that category at all. He was measured and talking a lot of sense when some of the weirdos on here were talking abouit how Benitez was done and was going to relegate us back in 2017-18. There are others on here who would doom merchant over potential sponsors. It's like their version of a German fetish with just a little less shit to clean off the chest.

So painful reading back over those posts from page 560 man, and all the usual suspects show up like clock work.

What I don't understand is why they always speak so matter of factly, and with such certainty, about how shit someone is after such little time?!

I can understand expressing some concern and not being sure if he was the right hire for the predicament we were in, but some of the proclamations of him being shit, or a wet blanket, or clueless, or no better than Bruce! ... my God.

Edited by KaKa

Loved the bit in the presser where he's asked about Allardyce's comments and how he stacks himself up against Pep, Klopp, etc. Just says he concentrates on himself and being the best version he can be. It was perfect really and a timely reminder, given Allardyce's return, that we've moved so far past the self-obsessed unjustified arrogance of their ilk.

I sometimes wish he'd come out swinging a bit more, sure, but the novelty of having a manager I don't hate will never wear off. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Loved the bit in the presser where he's asked about Allardyce's comments and how he stacks himself up against Pep, Klopp, etc. Just says he concentrates on himself and being the best version he can be. It was perfect really and a timely reminder, given Allardyce's return, that we've moved so far past the self-obsessed unjustified arrogance of their ilk.

I sometimes wish he'd come out swinging a bit more, sure, but the novelty of having a manager I don't hate will never wear off. 

He’ll prove his abilities with silverware!  :indi:

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've never really been a fan of all that sort of bravado. Those types of managers typically don't ever take full responsibility when their teams struggle and always start throwing the players under the bus or some other nonsense, and don't look at what they can improve.

Think Howe is first class in his temperament and approach to when things are both going well and also when they are not going so well. We are very very fortunate to have such a manager.

He's the second coming of KK man, except this time we will end up with a trophy.

I was definitely sceptical at the appointment, mainly due to the fact we openly courted Emery and were rejected by him. My heart was set.

Looking back - and indeed forward - I can't think of a bloke more suited to being Newcastle manager than Howe. He's just perfect for us in every way.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

He's the second coming of KK man, except this time we will end up with a trophy.

I was definitely sceptical at the appointment, mainly due to the fact we openly courted Emery and were rejected by him. My heart was set.

Looking back - and indeed forward - I can't think of a bloke more suited to being Newcastle manager than Howe. He's just perfect for us in every way.

Our true new King to be crowned on Sunday ? :indi: