Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Tonali has been absolutely fine in the main, but it's clear he isn't on the wavelength as team mates yet. The gap between him and Bruno is a bit too big and there's very little understanding with Trippier and Almiron.

Not a criticism of him as these things take time, but it's definitely contributed.

4 hours ago, astraguy said:

What Emery has just done after 18 minutes should of been what Howe did with burn or loelintin,we could all see it 

Took an injured player off then get beat 3-0? Dunno why he didn't think of that.

Re: Howe - 

He’s an incredible manager, one of the best tacticians and students of the game. The evidence is as clear as day since he’s taken over and with that there is legitimate improvement to nearly everyone he’s worked with at our club. I think he’ll right the ship, but, if he doesn’t - he will have to face the reality of the situation and we as fans will have to do the same. I think the entire board are patient, process and data driven and will give him the time or resources to fix what’s needed, and there’s another transfer window opening up in Jan. Remember we have Dan Ashworth as our sporting director, thank god for that too. 

Some awesome posts last page or so - we’ve been against 4 top football managers and sides. We destroyed 1 at home. Lost by 1 goal to the champions. Lost by 1 goal having done enough to win versus Liverpool and created more than enough to put Brighton out of sight in 15 mins before making costly mistakes to go behind and didn’t have enough to get something. Fine margins as always, we’re on 3 points instead 4,6, or 9. A simple pass, deflection, foot thru the ball on real chances and flash points. 

We rate Howe. We know what he’s capable of doing. He’ll cook up the plan to fix it, and it’s up to him and our players to execute that. 

Edited by Kanji

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Probably my biggest fear of all. When I think back to the gut-punches of losing Robson, Rafa, even Hughton... I dunno if I'm 'in' enough these days to retain the emotional connection if something ridiculously hasty happened in terms of Eddie Howe.

There's too much about modern football that's hateful for me to maintain the emotional connection I felt from childhood up to mid-twenties. So if NUFC became one of those impatient entities who randomly hired and fired managers at the first sign of trouble, a la Chelsea - denying us the full ability to develop a connection to people and characters - I think my strength of feeling would start to wane.

Of course if something dramatic happened this season and we found ourselves in a relegation battle, for instance, it would be difficult to argue against a change. But that's not going to happen and my fear is that we undo everything that's been fostered over the last two years with itchy trigger fingers. We don't know how our owners operate in a perceived (not actually a) 'crisis' yet, so I'm nervy as far as that is concerned. 

It would be disappointing but I could handle a lower top half finish as a cost for some great European nights/cup run(s), and on the proviso that we were clearly still building something sustainable and good. Fwiw that's been my prediction for this season since the start. 

Post of the year that sums up my thoughts, The media and alot of our fans are demanding cl again next season yet i couldn't give a fuck tbh top 8 would do be with the tough cl we have.Pep/Sir Fergie,Klopp all got given time and i can the act howe is we need him otherwise we'll go backwards fast like post Sir Bobby

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m beginning to land on Howe being a bit more of a motivator than a tactician.  Which I think goes some way to explain his streakiness. I’m interested in seeing how he evolves tactically this season and how his motivation and approach fares with European football. 

I'm not knocking your point, but in this day and age you can't get by with being just a motivator, and Howe doesn't seem like the pure motivational type.

Especially when you factor in that Gordon came out and said that it took him several months to get up to speed with Howe's system, and what he wants each individual player to do.

10 minutes ago, Stottie said:

It was mentioned in passing during the Liverpool-Villa game earlier, but last week Allison made eight saves, the most he ever has in a single match for Liverpool.

Really!? That sounds unlikely like. 8's not that much.

The only result that was disappointing performance wise was Brighton. Man City we played well- just a piece of brilliance that won the game. Liverpool we were just unlucky- Brighton we were poor. 

You don’t get major improvements from players that had been performing poorly for seasons just by being a motivator, especially when it’s over a period of 18 months. Howe is an outstanding coach who has improved pretty much everyone and being a tactician is part of that, knowing how to develop a player into a more flexible enhanced version. His in-game management is something that I think probably is weaker than some of the best managers around but it’s still an area he could go on to develop to a great level given that we’ve seen him succeed in every other area 

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m beginning to land on Howe being a bit more of a motivator than a tactician.  Which I think goes some way to explain his streakiness. I’m interested in seeing how he evolves tactically this season and how his motivation and approach fares with European football. 

deleted Twitter this week, might have to delete N-O … 

41 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You can't have a defensive record as good as ours and a press like we've used without some very good coaching. Was actually amazing how quickly he implemented such a drastic change in play style and got it working so well considering his starting block was a negative, unfit and tactic -less mess of a side. 

Even in our 'poor' runs it was more often than not poor finishing that cost us. We'd have finished third if we didn't underperform our xG so much and pick up all those draws. 

Been wondering when it was safe to come back into the football forum - looks like about now. :bluestar:

Howe will sort it - I have zero doubt.

I think that Tonali will ultimately become the deeper midfielder with Bruno and Willock playing ahead of him as as those 2 have the footballing intelligence to take advantage of Tonali's passing and movement, especially those one touch 90 degree passes through the lines that Tonali loves to play.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I'm not knocking your point, but in this day and age you can't get by with being just a motivator, and Howe doesn't seem like the pure motivational type.

Especially when you factor in that Gordon came out and said that it took him several months to get up to speed with Howe's system, and what he wants each individual player to do.

I just think he’s more that than tactician. Not that he doesn’t have  any tactics. Clearly there’s a defined style he wants to implement - it requires defined characteristics. But it doesn’t seem to change significantly or have massive variations. We’ve played 4 tough teams with different styles and from what I can see, the tactics have been largely the same. If Howe can motivate the players to do those tactics to the best of the players ability we do well. 

Pep is regarded as the master tactician. He adapts his tactics and line up to the opposition. As far as I can see, Howe doesn’t really do that.  I keep banging on about it but we had issues in the half space against Villa but the press overpowered, we’ve had the same problems against City and Brighton. But in glimpses against Brighton I see Howe’s intention. 

I still use it for football news and clips of games etc. Fuck clicking on the comments section though. Everyone of our club posts has something in the comments like "oilcastle,warra trophy,small club,getting grouped" etc. 

Just shite playground "banter" from spotty teens who go red when a girl says hi to them.

Ironically there was absolutely no one around when we really were a "small club"

Twitter in general has definitely gone to shit since Musk wanted to make it more down with the kids. Absolutely fucking ruined it.