Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I have to say I don't think it's all that important that the styles of Emery and Howe are totally different. The philosophy at the moment is clearly 'stay in the PL' and the style of play is probably, or at least should be, secondary to things like win %, success in the PL, getting the best out of poor players, etc etc. If we were a comfortably mid-table team it would be more important and I'd expect someone like Fonseca to have been more in the running. 

Edited by kisearch

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

The consortium's leaking of stuff is bit shambolic tbh.  Whoever is doing it to the press needs to stop it.  

Has this been confirmed it IS the consortium?!? 

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

He has a point about them being so different. 

The project is all about staying in the Premier League first and foremost. What's so different about that? Building for next phase is secondary

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

In the grand scheme of things - weve got decades of Saudi ownership to look forward too.

Waiting a couple of months for key positions to be filled isnt going to be that difficult. Though obviously the sooner a new manager can get to work with the players the better.

Even if we have Jones on board til January, so what? We could very easily buy our way out of trouble.

Even if we somehow get relegated this season, so what? Weve got decades of Saudi ownership to look forward too...

Im trying to look on the bright side here.

But maybe the first appointment should have been a DOF  - someone with the knowledge, the contacts, the reputation, someone who can sell the club to new players and the potential new manager.

The damage Ashley has done, it’s going to be a long healing process on all fronts and fans need to be a tad patient while that’s underway. I know we’ve been patient for over 14 years, but like you say, they will eventually get things right and success will come our way, and we must also accept they will get things wrong too. I’m relaxed.

I’m happy for them to be looking at two or more type of playing/managerial/system/structure philosophies even if they in say Emery and Howe are totally different, what’s the saying, don’t put all your eggs in the one basket…

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t know about that, they are completely polar opposites, I think it’s fair to be reticent if they are so far apart 

I think it’s of course fair to have his reservations. 

But being concerned by other people on the shortlist is bizarre in my book. 

Really trying hard not to criticise the new owners, but that doesn't mean they're immune from it. Yesterday I was, like everyone, completely made up that they were after a top manager who's in a job - one who essentially would have cost them £14m to appoint. Seemed their process we were told to trust was absolutely bang on.

It's obviously impossible for us to know who leaked it to the press (seems Ornstein was first, followed by everybody else jumping on the story not to be left behind), but it is poor form, especially given Villareal had a hugely important game to contend with. I'd be pissed if I was Emery/their owner too.

Not of the opinion that it's a shitshow (just yet), but the handling of the takeover in 2020 and of the Bruce situation were poor imo. No good leaking to the press without 100% certainty else you just end up with egg on your face, and a massive shitty stick for people to beat you with.

I don't buy into the fact it's completely dead either, owners on the continent generally use media as a mouthpiece. Many times we've seen owners say 'XYZ player is DEFINITELY staying' only for him to later leave, generally a ploy to get more £££. But the leaks from our side yesterday were ill timed and seemingly very premature. 

The sooner we appoint some proper football people in Sporting Director & CEO roles the better. It will come in time, but unfortunately time is something we do not have right now.

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

Has this been confirmed it IS the consortium?!? 

@TheGuvsaid it wasn’t the consortium, it can’t be Villarreal/Emery/Spain as the wouldn’t know about Howe.

Who is left? Those dealing with the work permit

8 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I have to say I don't think it's all that important that the styles of Emery and Howe are totally different. The philosophy at the moment is clearly 'stay in the PL' and the style of play is probably, or at least should be, secondary to things like win %, success in the PL, getting the best out of poor players, etc etc. If we were a comfortably mid-table team it would be more important and I'd expect someone like Fonseca to have been more in the running. 

That’s obviously the primary goal right now, but I do believe they are considering all factors for further down the line too and that’s probably why we are looking at Howe or Fonseca or Emery. All different types of managers and personalities with different ideas and levels of experience and pedigree. Again, I’m happy with that and I’d actually be worried if they weren’t doing such due diligence, they’ve just spunked 300 + million and settled a 1bn legal bill on a relegation threatened team with no win in ten, 6 points adrift and with a shambles of a team, coaching set up, academy and facilities. 

Edited by HTT II

Have to commend the new owners on maintaining the traditions of NUFC re manager appointments. Now, I don't mind taking time to get the right man but seemingly briefing the media that it's almost done when its anything but is so NUFC.

Edited by madras

Worst part of all this is if we don't end up with Emery, the whole world now knows whoever comes in isn't their choice. It's like Spurs this summer, except they weren't 6 points adrift and staring down the barrel of relegation. I've defended them taking their time to appoint one, but it's all going south very quickly at the moment.

The Howe thing is a sort of fair question but it's not as binary as just 'philosophy', is it? Howe may have been way down the initial list but everyone else has shown little interest, they might see Howe as a good shot-in-the-arm manager that is here for a year or two, but would rather have someone higher calorie like Emery to be here for many years.

Maybe Howe has learnt from his days at Bournemouth and has talked about more balance during the process?

Guest reefatoon

Let's all just make up reasons for the leak.

I am going to go with Jamie Reuben leaked it. Trouble in paradise at the top. He is in a massive huff as he wants his best mate Frank Lampard in charge, but the rest of the consortium think he is being a daft cunt, so he is stropping around, not turning up for the last match and leaking all sorts of shite so he can get Frank in............

Burnsie or Edwards can have that one if they want.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I’m genuinely puzzled why Charnley still has a job. It’s mind blowing 

Same here, I’d like them to be more ruthless, but I think they don’t want to be ‘unkind’ to anyone at the start of their process, that or they have taken pity on the cunt.

20 minutes ago, thomas said:

So, as much as I hate to agree with any of the completely OTT "this is a complete 3-ring shitshow circus" criticisms .... if it transpires that they were set to say yes to all his demands and get him in and somehow he was the last person to be informed of that, that is a bad look. Putting the media cart before the manager horse. Er. Yeah. We'll go with that. Need to not count their chickens before they're hatched.

Still probably not the apocalypse being reported but I guess we'll see.

I think it was more that they had done all the interviews and decided that they were going to go with Emery, and someone in the media got wind off it somehow. 

I think the idea was that today was when they were going to confirm with Emery and finalise everything.