Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, gdm said:

If he can’t get up for playing for Juventus the last couple of years he isn’t coming in to a relegation battle and hitting the ground running. It’s too much of a risk. We have half a season to get out of the shit. Players need to be ready from the off. 

I wouldn't be making him a priority. He wants to leave, Juve want to give him away. If we have space towards the end of the window, and we have secured our targets then I'd take a punt on somebody like him.

8 hours ago, thomas said:

still years away I reckon, so while I agree in principle I'm also not opposed to the odd high quality journeymen or two coming in on 2-3 year contracts while we build

Again, that's fine, I don't need players to believe they're going to be there when we lift the first trophy (fingers crossed) but especially now I don't want anyone that will see the first sign of struggle as time to down tools and wait out the season.

Only thing with Ramsey is the position we are in we are still looking at angles - contracts expiring, out of favour - and it being January, were not deploying the original plan for me or a showcasing an ethos.

Were it the summer and we were safe I'd much rather not.

Figure anything we bring in is an improvement and gives us more of a chance at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Players like that need to be looked at towards the end of the window. It'd be nice to add them to the mix when we've secured the core.

I'd hope our "end of window" signings would be from that spectacular buffet of superb players who'd be free to walk away for free in the Summer - and not a bunch of flawed big names. We've got a bit of money and clubs would rather get some money than lose the player for nowt in six months. Ginter, Lingard, Sule, Dybala, Kessie etc. If they haven't moved by the last week of January, their clubs may be tempted by a reasonably large offer.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

We should be avoiding plsyers like Coutinho, Ramsey and PEA. Once quality players, now on the decline and looking for a payday.

Completely agree. As mentioned above, if Ramsey was to come in as a loan at the end of the window with us already having signed another CM, fair enough. But as our only option I'd steer well clear.

Guest HTT II
Just now, The Prophet said:

We should be avoiding plsyers like Coutinho, Ramsey and PEA. Once quality players, now on the decline and looking for a payday.

We should, I feel the more sensible signings will be coming from our 20% stakeholders, where as any daft signing or ‘trophy’ signing may come from PIF, I’ve been told a few times they would sanction a massive statement signing like a Coutinho or Dembele or PEA as he’s being mentioned now. I’d prefer sensible, but quality signings. 

Guest HTT II

We have to remember as well, we are in an odd situation, if the club feel say Ramsey would help us avoid relegation even on loan I’d back them, same if they went for PEA, long-term they are not the answer at all. 

2 minutes ago, Emotic said:

I'd hope our "end of window" signings would be from that spectacular buffet of superb players who'd be free to walk away for free in the Summer - and not a bunch of flawed big names. We've got a bit of money and clubs would rather get some money than lose the player for nowt in six months. Ginter, Lingard, Sule, Dybala, Kessie etc. If they haven't moved by the last week of January, their clubs may be tempted by a reasonably large offer.

I'd hope we'd already secured those kind of players. And I'm not saying Ramsey is the one I'd go for, just that he's in the bag with the likes of Lingaard, who might have joined West Ham by that time.

25 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Ramsey on loan with Juve paying some of his wage sounds like a decent idea to me. 

just don’t tie ourselves to him on a permanent transfer unless he proves himself on loan. 

They aren't really asking for a loan fee by the looks of it, so not sure they will want to stump up wages as well. Unless he really is a crock. I was against him coming here initially, but seems like he is fit, just doesn't like the coach. 

Sometimes quality managers can get a tune out of these sort of 'on the decline' players and make a bargain out of them. I'm sure Bobby used to take an interest in that sort - he brought Kluivert here (who might not be the best example since he wasn't brilliant, but reckon Bobby might've done well with him given the chance). Anelka's one like that I wish we did get. I'm not really advocating for these players, I'm just open to them.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

They aren't really asking for a loan fee by the looks of it, so not sure they will want to stump up wages as well. Unless he really is a crock. I was against him coming here initially, but seems like he is fit, just doesn't like the coach. 

He's on £400k/week, allegedly.

Reckon Juve need to pay at least some of that, it's crazy money that nobody will touch.

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We have to remember as well, we are in an odd situation, if the club feel say Ramsey would help us avoid relegation even on loan I’d back them, same if they went for PEA, long-term they are not the answer at all. 

With PEA, the only question against him would be his laziness which has got him on the wrong side of Arteta. I would never have him here on a permanent move, but on a loan it would make absolute sense to cover Wilson's injury. If it's true he is open to coming here, then get him in. He would have a point to prove to Arsenal so would be champing at the bit. 

7 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

A half fit Ramsey is still better looking and a better footballer than all our other midfielders, J7 aside. 

A one legged blind donkey is better looking and a better footballer than all our current midfielders J7 aside (only on current form....want to see his improvement last at least half a season before believing its not just a purple patch/new manager bounce)

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Reckon Juve need to pay at least some of that, it's crazy money that nobody will touch.

If the 130k p/w for Trippier is true, then there is no fucking chance we will offer the cookie bodied Ramsey much more.

Just now, Chris_R said:

This is it for me. I don't want to pay anywhere near that. He has to accept he's been exceptionally lucky to earn that and take a rather humble 100k a week, for me.

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Sometimes quality managers can get a tune out of these sort of 'on the decline' players and make a bargain out of them. I'm sure Bobby used to take an interest in that sort - he brought Kluivert here (who might not be the best example since he wasn't brilliant, but reckon Bobby might've done well with him given the chance). Anelka's one like that I wish we did get. I'm not really advocating for these players, I'm just open to them.

It can be fine if you mix them in with a good balance of hungry, young players. The problem is we'd be integrating them with our current crop of players who are almost all on the decline. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Wtf? :lol:

Thats' about 4x as much as I thought he'd be on. Still it's probably around £8m in total, so I suppose they might say that should cover the loan fee. But yeah too much, would have to come to some sort of agreement. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

It can be fine if you mix them in with a good balance of hungry, young players. The problem is we'd be integrating them with our current crop of players who are almost all on the decline. 

Hell, even Fat Sam managed to get a tune out of mid 30's Okocha, Campo, Hierro and Nakata

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Douglas saying a centre back and striker in before Watford is the aim.

Lets hope he is right.

I would be extremely impressed.

One thing I still don't get about football is, why are deals rarely ever sorted in advance?  Transfer window opens, 5 players arrive the day it opens.  I know its not the case but it's almost like clubs wait till the window opens before negotiating.