The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Struggling to picture any Geordie wanting Leeds to stay up tbh.  Or Forest for that matter.  Would happily see that lot go again.  Everton would obviously be hilarious, with West Ham just behind that.  Leicester also would be funny, and anyone who ever visited Filbert Street would shed no tears.

I’m utterly indifferent to Palace, Southampton and Bournemouth, so I wouldn’t be arsed about them staying up.  But if I still travelled to away games, I would happily not make those trips next year.

Can’t we just relegate all of them?

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Their fans are notorious cunts and their team was notoriously dirty and boring for like 20 years. 

As much as I don't particularly like them, I'd still much rather have them in the league than a lot of others. 

Yeah it’s more having them than some no mark team like b mouth/saints. It’s good to have a hateable team that had history and good crowds 

I'd be very sad to see either Leeds or Forest go. If they can both get settled in the league then you'd think they've got the catchment and the prestige to actually go from strength to strength, which I don't believe to be the case for most of the other yo-yo-ers/toilet-bowl-circlers.

Disappointed that it didn't work out for Marsch at Leeds; feel like the Gracia appointment was absolutely desperate and I do worry for them. As much as I'd like them to stay up, my money is probably on them for 18th. Forest's home form will help them keep their heads above water imo. 

I thought Southampton's recruitment was really interesting in the summer and had them as my dark horses for a European push, but clearly that was a dreadful take. They're the only ones now that I'm convinced will go. Bournemouth for the other spot.

2 hours ago, samptime29 said:

Ideally I would want: Leicester, Everton and West Ham to go down.

This is the correct choice.

It would be great to see West Ham's stadium in the Championship.

The last time Everton were in trouble they were deemed too big to do down, and it would be nice to see that proven wrong.

Leicester is a big meh, but if then going down means maddison is up for grabs then so be it.

Think its a tad bit under the radar how dire Leicester are atm. They've lost 16 matches and conceded 46 goals. Watched their last 3 games and they've looked pathetic in all of them. Wouldn't expect them to drop like but something is drastically wrong there.

It's fantastic just sitting back watching it all unfold as a neutral.

I'd also like to see Leeds stay up. I'm not old enough to remember / experience any shenanigans in the 70s or 80s, and I really like the city, and I think the Premier League is better with them in it. Also only an hour and a half away, and nice to have more Northern teams in the league, especially in big cities.

I'd also like to see Forest stay up, for similar reasons to the above. I'd probably prefer Leicester to stay up as well with them doing well recently and moving away from being a Norwich, West Brom, Watford type where they could go up and down every season and no neutral would bat an eye-lid. Wolves are pretty harmless.

So that leaves 5. 7 London teams is pretty ridiculous. Yes, it's a big city, but not over a third of England's population, so to have 7 teams out of 20 is crazy, so for that reason, I'd be happy to lose either or both Palace or West Ham. Southampton and Bournemouth could drop as far as I'm concerned as well. Most neutrals wouldn't miss them, and it's a hell of a journey as well. Neither should really affect us, whereas a West Ham, Leeds, Everton possibly could challenge if they got their house in order, certainly a lot more potential anyway, but it's another US owner in Bmouth's case, and it's probably in our best interest for now to ensure that number doesn't get close to 14.

I'm not as fussed of Everton dropping as I was last season, probably with us pushing on so much and them being less of a direct rival, but it would be quite funny and significant if they were to go.

Probably hope Southampton, Bournemouth and one of West Ham or Palace go, but it's so hard to call at the moment and for what seems like the first time in years, there's not one obvious candidate to drop after 26/27 games.

7 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah it’s more having them than some no mark team like b mouth/saints. It’s good to have a hateable team that had history and good crowds 

I love how a fan of a club like Newcastle go around talking about another team being no marks or no history.

History may be written by the victors, but it needs the other side for it to be worth writing about. A history in the lower leagues has just as much soap opera and stories to tell as one of regular failure for multiple generations near the top. The stories may not be as well known outside the supporters of that team, but they exist and in this case go all the way back to 1899.

I really hope you're not going to go down the Man City fans route now the money has arrived. They used to be a decent lot. You were, and I hope mostly still are, a fan base that respected other clubs, no matter their level, and with whom it was always worth a beer and good football chat without the entitlement you get with supporters of certain other clubs getting in the way.

As for the tip, I get that it's a horrible journey. Same goes in both directions. However, if the dates are good then visiting Newcastle is a good weekend away, and the same can be said for Bournemouth for your fans, albeit in a slightly different way. Very different places, both worth a weekend.

13 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

I love how a fan of a club like Newcastle go around talking about another team being no marks or no history.

History may be written by the victors, but it needs the other side for it to be worth writing about. A history in the lower leagues has just as much soap opera and stories to tell as one of regular failure for multiple generations near the top. The stories may not be as well known outside the supporters of that team, but they exist and in this case go all the way back to 1899.

I really hope you're not going to go down the Man City fans route now the money has arrived. They used to be a decent lot. You were, and I hope mostly still are, a fan base that respected other clubs, no matter their level, and with whom it was always worth a beer and good football chat without the entitlement you get with supporters of certain other clubs getting in the way.

As for the tip, I get that it's a horrible journey. Same goes in both directions. However, if the dates are good then visiting Newcastle is a good weekend away, and the same can be said for Bournemouth for your fans, albeit in a slightly different way. Very different places, both worth a weekend.

Just to add a bit of balance to the force, here's my lass's dad, Len, who's now adopted Bournemouth as his second team due to his undying love for Edward and after watching the minus 17 documentary.

Screenshot_20230313_211022_Messages.thumb.jpg.68d808a76e93568406d28eb3aaff936d.jpg

34 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

I'm afraid I don't think it's a 'we've come in to money and turned in to snobs' thing. I've seen similar comments well before the takeover and have commented on here how strange I find it to look down on teams like Bournemouth as some sort of 'nothing' club.

At what point is 'history' made if traditionally unfancied clubs can't upset the apple cart? And who gets to define what 'history' is anyway? Is it better that we continue watching Everton fuck around in the PL achieving shit all because they won titles 40 years ago? Is it fuck. :lol:

10 hours ago, Stifler said:

No idea why people dislike Leeds to be honest.

My mate at work is the UK manager for 3 on my team and we get on very well. He's a born and bred Leeds man so I always pull for Leeds for that reason only.

Traditionally/historically big clubs going down is always newsworthy and  generates interest. I'll admit I'm getting a bit bored of seeing Watford, West Brom, Norwich etc constantly bouncing up and down season after season and I just want a bit of variety. I've got nothing against them really but seeing Burnley, Boro and Millwall come up would be ideal. Likewise seeing Everton, West Ham and Leeds drop down would be far more interesting. 

Don't think anyone is deliberately slagging Bournemouth here but seeing a bigger club relegated would be more interesting 

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

No idea why people dislike Leeds to be honest.

A couple of my best mates are Leeds fans. They’re not cunts, but trust me, they’re the exception within that lot. ‘Us victims fighting back against the world’ mentality on roids.

If you support a club with, err, let’s say, a recent history of thinking about relegation way more than most would like (ie us, you) this season is definitely the one to have pulled away from it. 

it is so tight down there. Going to be fucking nerve shredding for a few clubs. 

Anyway, I would like Wolves with their “finish above Villa for first time in about 50 years, so invent a rivalry that never existed and sing about us every single match” dynamic to fuck off back where they belong so they can play their actual derby again. 

Someone asked about Leeds. It’s an age thing I think. Growing up in the 70s they were thugs on and off the pitch, the dirty cheating bastards. I also remember their cunty fans throwing bottles at kids and families before the 96 LC final so fuck them too. 

Finally, Everton, for having the worst home support (screaming penalty or handball every thirty seconds) and the worst away support too (sitting down, FFS, and making no discernible noise). 

So those three for me. 

A mention in despatches also for Leicester City. 

6 minutes ago, brummie said:

If you support a club with, err, let’s say, a recent history of thinking about relegation way more than most would like (ie us, you) this season is definitely the one to have pulled away from it. 

it is so tight down there. Going to be fucking nerve shredding for a few clubs. 

Anyway, I would like Wolves with their “finish above Villa for first time in about 50 years, so invent a rivalry that never existed and sing about us every single match” dynamic to fuck off back where they belong so they can play their actual derby again. 

Someone asked about Leeds. It’s an age thing I think. Growing up in the 70s they were thugs on and off the pitch, the dirty cheating bastards. I also remember their cunty fans throwing bottles at kids and families before the 96 LC final so fuck them too. 

Finally, Everton, for having the worst home support (screaming penalty or handball every thirty seconds) and the worst away support too (sitting down, FFS, and making no discernible noise). 

So those three for me. 

A mention in despatches also for Leicester City. 

Who is Wolves ‘actual derby’? West Brom?