More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Do people think if it gets close to the end of the window we will bite the bullet and pay over what we feel is a players value ? 

Maybe. But the closer to the end of the window we get the more we will have to pay. (If really close to the end) 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Maybe. But the closer to the end of the window we get the more we will have to pay. (If really close to the end) 

Or clubs reduce their asking price the closer to the deadline we get

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Or clubs reduce their asking price the closer to the deadline we get

Obviously. I meant it more like if we leave it too late then the club we buy from might not have enough time to get a replacement in and then don’t wish to sell. Unless it’s the other way that they want to get rid as they just have signed a replacement for the to be sold player.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Isn’t that why the selling clubs are fucking about so much.

You have to admire how City go about their business. Virtually no public haggling they never lowball with their offers but aside from Grealish, don’t seem to overpay much.

I thought Sterling at 50 million all those years ago was mental money but it was astute. They knew it was going that way so they just paid what seemed at the time a massive fee that Liverpool couldn’t turn down, but it was actually buttons on what he’d be worth at the same age now.

Watched Anderson this afternoon for the first time and I think he could well save us a few quid this summer. We've been banging on about seeing a bit of youth coming through and pushing for time on the park this season and I think he's more than worth a look. He's raw but he's also hungry and has a point to prove, I'd be including him the squad more often than not and giving him the odd 30 mins here and there in the first few games, we've got 5 subs to use now and he might just surprise a few people. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Isn’t that why the selling clubs are fucking about so much.

You have to admire how City go about their business. Virtually no public haggling they never lowball with their offers but aside from Grealish, don’t seem to overpay much.

I thought Sterling at 50 million all those years ago was mental money but it was astute. They knew it was going that way so they just paid what seemed at the time a massive fee that Liverpool couldn’t turn down, but it was actually buttons on what he’d be worth at the same age now.

Liverpool are the best at it considering they don’t have the riches of City 

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Watched Anderson this afternoon for the first time and I think he could well save us a few quid this summer. We've been banging on about seeing a bit of youth coming through and pushing for time on the park this season and I think he's more than worth a look. He's raw but he's also hungry and has a point to prove, I'd be including him the squad more often than not and giving him the odd 30 mins here and there in the first few games, we've got 5 subs to use now and he might just surprise a few people. 

Been thinking this all summer. Now is the time to get him in there. 

6 minutes ago, midds said:

I'm not say we should stop looking as Anderson is the answer to all of our problems but I think he's another option. We've all been thinking that if Wilson drops out then it's armageddon and we're utterly doomed but that's not quite the case. We do have options if he pulls up after 12 games and Anderson could fill a temporary gap as and when from the very little I've seen. He's a player and his time at Bristol confirms it. 

1 minute ago, Decky said:

Been thinking this all summer. Now is the time to get him in there. 

Howes quotes are spot on. They will do whats best for the club and for Anderson when the time comes. He wont be getting shipped off until around deadline day if it happens. He doesn't count towards squad size and is obviously a talent. With 5 subs, unless we sign two more wingers and a playmaker you would have to think he has a shot at getting minutes with the 5 sub rule. If we have some significant additions come and minutes are limited then he will go out on loan. No rush at all though. He has looked good solid so far.  

While I'm on I think the World Cup being timed when it is will benefit Wilson. He's had injuries in the past but placing the World Cup in the middle of the season means he only needs to stay fit for about 15 games, then he gets a big break then it's back to it to complete the season. If we're canny with him and manage him then I see no reason why we can't get 35+ games out of him, either side of the WC. 

He doesn't have the relentless grind for 9 solid months, he can partition his season and use the natural break to keep himself fresh and fit. 

5 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I know most see him as a lb but they have a very good lb already, so assuming they want him for midfield? Surely they can't be after Paqueta aswell.

As I understand it he wants to play in midfield and they promised that, but if Tierney is injured, and he is most the time, then Arsenal's next left back is Tavares and he's rubbish so something tells me he will end up there quite a bit. I do not understand Arsenal after Paqueta tbh, they have Odergaard, Martinelli, Saka, Fabio Viera, Emil Smith Rowe for creative attacking mids. They need another deeper central mid if anything even after zinchenko cos Partey is good  if fit (or something else) Xhaka, Elneny and...Lokonga are not much...

1 minute ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Of any of the new owner's signings...were any "out of the blue"? I feel like they were all telegraphed ? 

I'd say Trippier and Botman were heavily linked but the rest weren't so

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

I'd say Trippier and Botman were heavily linked but the rest weren't so

To some extent they were out of the blue as well, we'd been linked with Trippier but it was a surprise when it happened and everyone thought the Botman deal was dead in the water before it suddenly went through.

38 minutes ago, midds said:

While I'm on I think the World Cup being timed when it is will benefit Wilson. He's had injuries in the past but placing the World Cup in the middle of the season means he only needs to stay fit for about 15 games, then he gets a big break then it's back to it to complete the season. If we're canny with him and manage him then I see no reason why we can't get 35+ games out of him, either side of the WC. 

He doesn't have the relentless grind for 9 solid months, he can partition his season and use the natural break to keep himself fresh and fit. 

Football doesn’t work like that 

He could very easily get injured in the first minute of the first match , no matter how fit or how rested up he is 

If the body / muscle / tendon/  goes it goes 

You can do your best to prepare but the game takes its out on the body / legs as you get older 

Willson will pick up knocks / strains / injuries as normal 

As will most players 

We need strength in depth upfront 

for him to be able to put a good long run of being fit , he might need to be rested in a few of the  (so called easier games) and maybe have a few extra days off 

Even then , it’s all about how each game pans out and how his body holds up 

He’s had two massive injuries at Bournemouth that kept him out for multiple months at a time 

Plus that hefty calf injury last season 

Yes he has decided to move up to the north east but I would be very surprised if he manages 15-16 games in a row !

47 minutes ago, midds said:

Still a massive risk to go into a season with him as the only striker.

Regardless of how we might try wrap him in cotton wool, he’s been injury prone for years and will likely get injured at some stage.

Not getting a striker in would be a failure. I’d put that as the most important position to strengthen right now, closely followed by RW and CM.