More transfer rumours

midds

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not sure about that, I still have a lot of faith in Willock. 

Willock isn't asking for 150k/week either. I don't mind paying that for the right player, just not convinced Lingard has shown he's earned it. I'll be surprised if West Ham pay him that much in all honesty. But maybe they have a different policy where they will pay one or two galactico players a much bigger wage than the rest....and Lingard would be what they consider a galactico.

20 hours ago, madras said:

Dunno like. Lingard looked the business at West Ham.

He did but he's had another crap season at man u.

Maybe Wet Spam it was a freak purple patch.

Edited by Mountain

Just now, Mountain said:

He did but he's had another crap season at united.

Looking at other players at Man Utd I'm more inclined to think there's something wrong there.

3 minutes ago, Mountain said:

He did but he's had another crap season at united.

Purple patch for sure. He’s only scored more than 4 times a season in the PL once before. 

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

I agree but it's not always mutually exclusive.

Look at Donny, he's been uninspiring like usual at Everton.

And look at Lingard at West Ham ?

FWIW I'm not waving a flag for him. Is he worth 150kpw on a free ? Would he be worth 50kpw if we paid 10mill for him ?

Edited by madras

I think we should look elsewhere tbh. Picking up scrap from the top 6 rarely pays off, and if we want to be amongst the top 6, then surely buying their fringe players ain’t gonna help competing with them or overtaking them?

Edited by maze

1 minute ago, maze said:

I think we should look elsewhere tbh. Picking up scrap from the top 6 rarely pays off, and if we want to be amongst the top 6, then surely buying their fringe players ain’t gonna help competing with them over overtaking them?

Agreed, I would rather buy the best players from lesser sides than the dross from the top 6.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye it all depends on investment.

A lot of the player links are for £40m+ targets so I think we'll spend big. The club are putting out "modest" budget so we don't get fleeced imo but we'll see soon enough

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

All these journos/reporters downplaying our budget don’t have a clue, they said the same in January and have been wrong almost entirely over the takeover. We will spend, with sales incoming money, 150-200m IMO. I know for a fact we already have two deals all but signed, sealed and delivered from January. I assume one is Lingard and maybe that Carlos fella?

I think that’s wishful thinking, even Eddie has said similar. All the talk seems to be about sustainable growth, playing within Ffp regulations, augmenting a modest budget with player sales etc. I guess it’s slightly paradoxical if you take their statements about competing for the league title in 5 years at face value (naïveté on their part perhaps?).

You say journalists know nothing but I think it’s been established that this administration isn’t particularly great at keeping their cards close to their chests.

Just my opinion again, but I can’t see us spending the huge amounts you’re suggesting. Looking forward to being proven massively wrong! :) 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Failed to hold down a first team place at an underperforming Man U for the last 3 years. I mean it's hardly a glowing reference. Don't get me wrong, I think he's got talent, but there's obviously been something missing.

I suppose he's shown his max potential with his purple patch at them Hammers and he genuinely seems a decent pro, has ability and can't begrudge him wanting a final payday, but not that high an earner. It's unwarranted. 

Very wise move not paying Lingard daft money in my opinion. On the basis of half a decent season at West Ham it would be crazy. Yes there’s no fee involved, but in terms of the wage structure it would cause huge problems at an early stage going forward making him the benchmark.

Edited by Whitley mag

29 minutes ago, Mountain said:

I agree but it's not always mutually exclusive.

Look at Donny, he's been uninspiring like usual at Everton.

first 'United' and now 'Donny', is this Froggy in disguise?

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Very wise move not paying Lingard daft money in my opinion. On the basis of half a decent season at West Ham it would be crazy. Yes there’s no fee involved but in terms of the wage structure it would cause huge problems at an early stage going forward making him the benchmark.

yep.

11 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

I suppose he's shown his max potential with his purple patch at them Hammers and he genuinely seems a decent pro, has ability and can't begrudge him wanting a final payday, but not that high an earner. It's unwarranted. 

That's it basically. I actually quite liked him as a player at one time, but I think he had long enough to stand out at Man U where they had some pretty tasty forwards by most people's standards. He was there alongside Rashford and Martial, not exactly poor quality players to be rubbing shoulders with, and they had decent managers too.

He's a good player, just don't think he should be asking for 150k a week when he couldn't hold a place down in an underperforming Man U team.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

I got some shit on here a while back because I said we wouldnt be pushing our wage structure very far past around our current top earner in Bruno at 120/130k, I still think this will be the case. As you said it could be pushed a bit further for the right player but Howe is very big on squad harmony and the unity of this club that hes carefully moulded since he came in.. this is why I just cant see players coming in on close to 200k a week. Step by step we will get to that number with new contracts for our current core along the way, possibly next summer? 

”Got some shit” :lol: 

At first you said something like we won’t offer more than 120k/week and then after that it was a bit of backtracking saying  “not much higher” or similar. 

Im still certain that we will offer 150k or even slightly more IF the right opportunity arises and that’s what is needed. We will try to keep the wages down as well as possible, but that’s just the aim imo. We will never offer the likes of Lingard 150k+.  

I doubt many teams will be rushing to take Lingard at a straight 150k a week, so ask to be kept in the loop and see how it plays out. The lack of a fee may be a big plus factor, or it may not, none of us really knows.

I suspect our form with Wood up front, Fraser on one side, and Bruno on the bench was even better than West Ham's was during the Lingard purple patch, so there is also the chance that the Lingard ship has sailed. He would have been useful in January for sure, but we probably now need someone better and have more than one month to find him.

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

”Got some shit” :lol: 

At first you said something like we won’t offer more than 120k/week and then after that it was a bit of backtracking saying  “not much higher” or similar. 

Im still certain that we will offer 150k or even slightly more IF the right opportunity arises and that’s what is needed. We will try to keep the wages down as well as possible, but that’s just the aim imo. We will never offer the likes of Lingard 150k+.  

To be fair, I did like - personal insults thrown around and everything [emoji38] Its all good though

And like I just said, I think 120/130 will be the top end of what we offer this summer BUT theres always a chance we go higher for the right player. Not sure how thats back tracking but okay. Agree on Lingard, hes not worth that at all.

Edited by Nine

16 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I think that’s wishful thinking, even Eddie has said similar. All the talk seems to be about sustainable growth, playing within Ffp regulations, augmenting a modest budget with player sales etc. I guess it’s slightly paradoxical if you take their statements about competing for the league title in 5 years at face value (naïveté on their part perhaps?).

You say journalists know nothing but I think it’s been established that this administration isn’t particularly great at keeping their cards close to their chests.

Just my opinion again, but I can’t see us spending the huge amounts you’re suggesting. Looking forward to being proven massively wrong! :) 

What else are they meant to say?

IMO if we sign a 40-60m attacker they will be our highest earner around the 120-175k mark. 

I definitely believe we’ve enquired for Coutinho and Nunez and that’s what they would expect. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

What else are they meant to say?

IMO if we sign a 40-60m attacker they will be our highest earner around the 120-175k mark. 

I definitely believe we’ve enquired for Coutinho and Nunez and that’s what they would expect. 

Coutinho is on 400k+ pw at Barca iirc, Villa are probably paying around half of that right now. 

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

To be fair, I did like - personal insults thrown around and everything [emoji38] Its all good though

And like I just said, I think 120/130 will be the top end of what we offer this summer BUT theres always a chance we go higher for the right player. Not sure how thats back tracking but okay. Agree on Lingard, hes not worth that at all.

Not what you said in the beginning back then though :lol:  But yeah, whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Coutinho is on 400k+ pw at Barca iirc, Villa are probably paying around half of that right now. 

Villa are paying 125k at the moment towards his wages.

Wages won't be an issue for us with the right player. We might even pay 300k a week or 500k if it was Haaland, but we aren't at that stage yet. It will take another couple of seasons before we are in a position to attract the very best, but I still think we will pay plenty high enough wages to attract some CL talent from around the world. Bruno standard is what we'll be looking for in the summer, however many signings we make.