Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

You could have one hell of a navy for that. Our aircraft carriers were only 6 billion each.  20 aircraft carriers, 1000 f35cs, 200 type 45 destroyer and 400 frigates, 100 or so attack and trident subs would cost less than that. 

Plus you could do a minor upgrade on the metro

Could deploy an iron dome against any pigeons thinking they can just come and die on the roof. Might actually magnify the problem but when has that stopped an arms deal?

Obviously the ideal scenario is to sign all of your players before pre-season and all at a fair price. However, that's almost impossible, particularly given our negotiating position/vulnerability to being fleeced. 

Getting Pope in early was critical in order to maximise the objective of having two goalkeepers pushing each other from the get-go. Then, getting the rest of the defence sorted as early as possible was also particularly important, because I think it's in Howe's DNA to build from the back. Allowing that really fundamental aspect of the team to bed-in as soon as possible is crucial. 

From here though, I don't see any huge rush. Assuming he's satisfied with our CM options, recruitment now is just about augmenting the attack with upgrades. And if it takes until deadline day to sign an attacking prospect who isn't absolutely essential to the basic functions of the team, so be it. Hopefully the winger we eventually get comes before the first match, but not the end of the world if not.

With Pope, Targett and Botman sorted, it's feet-up time from our point of view as observers. Hope folks can just enjoy the summer, let the signings arrive as and when they do. They'll come, just a question of who and when. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Obviously the ideal scenario is to sign all of your players before pre-season and all at a fair price. However, that's almost impossible, particularly given our negotiating position/vulnerability to being fleeced. 

Getting Pope in early was critical in order to maximise the objective of having two goalkeepers pushing each other from the get-go. Then, getting the rest of the defence sorted as early as possible was also particularly important, because I think it's in Howe's DNA to build from the back. It's therefore really important to allow that really fundamental aspect of the team to bed-in as soon as possible. 

From here though, I don't see any huge rush. Assuming he's satisfied with our CM options, recruitment now is just about augmenting the attack with upgrades. And if it takes until deadline day to sign an attacking prospect who isn't absolutely essential to the basic functions of the team, so be it. 

With Pope, Targett and Botman sorted, it's feet-up time from our point of view as observers. Hope folks can just enjoy the summer, let the signings arrive as and when they do. They'll come, just a question of who and when. 

Totally my thoughts.

Botman was key for me. He was their no1 CB target and someone who we would have found hard to find to replace.

Now we need some sauce in attacking areas, but there's an abundance of choice and we can afford to strike the best deals over the next 2 months.

I also think we need to wait for other clubs to start their business, that will open the door to sales and more opportunities.

I couldn't care less about Ekitike, it's time for us to make him and his agent stew.

I'm not interested in this guy anymore, his agent's blown it imo and Ekitike sticking with him and posting his stupid social media has confirmed it. I don't want players that are all about the money, regardless of how much we've got floating around.

On a side note, I think a new striker is key so we should be looking elsewhere so we can get them bedded in.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Getting Pope in early was critical in order to maximise the objective of having two goalkeepers pushing each other from the get-go. Then, getting the rest of the defence sorted as early as possible was also particularly important, because I think it's in Howe's DNA to build from the back. Allowing that really fundamental aspect of the team to bed-in as soon as possible is crucial. 

From here though, I don't see any huge rush. Assuming he's satisfied with our CM options, recruitment now is just about augmenting the attack with upgrades. And if it takes until deadline day to sign an attacking prospect who isn't absolutely essential to the basic functions of the team, so be it. Hopefully the winger we eventually get comes before the first match, but not the end of the world if not.

Good post.

I think we'll target a right winger and a striker. As you say, a winger isn't part of a unit as such and can slot in, whereas any striker signed is likely going to be deputy to Wilson for the time being anyway.

I'm really interested to see who starts in midfield. You'd think Bruno and Joelinton are nailed on which probably means Shelvey will play a bit deeper than those two. I appreciate we can't fix everything overnight, but it lacks a bit of balance and we'll continue to struggle in possession, particularly if Bruno misses any game time.

This deal has ekitaken a turn for the worse. Or has it?

Stepping back for a bit. He has had one breakout season, which was hampered a bit by injuries in the second half. Clearly very young and with time to develop, but you wonder whether he would slot straight into the first team in the PL anyway.

There's a risk signing any young player if they don't develop as you'd hope, and that's before all this noise about his agent.

I'm wondering whether it was better to pull out anyway, and maybe come back in a year or two if he develops. 

Yes there's a risk you end up paying far more for an established player later on, but there's already a risk in paying £30m for someone raw, who may not be happy, may not work and may not go straight into the first team.

And stepping back even further, from a transfer point of view, it's surely not be a bad thing to make a statement by turning down unreasonable demands.

It's not January and we're not Stewart Donald desperately trying to buy Will Grigg on Netflix.

It's just modern football got to expect and be prepared for financial wrangles and to persuade people to come here. Especially foreign players we haven't exactly been a big name the last few years have we. Even the biggest clubs go through this trying to get players or even getting their own players to sign new contracts now. If we just pull out of deals it will be our loss and some one else's gain.

I think we’ve put a bid in that reflects his potential. It’s a bit more than some of the other teams linked with him would be prepared to pay.

PSG won’t pay that for striker that is essentially fourth choice. Plus they just had a lad out on loan who is similar age and scored a similar amount. 

Dortmund obviously is an appealing situation for any young player but he’d be coming in as third choice behind the two lads they’ve just signed. Dortmund won’t pay £25m for a player that isn’t going consistently start. 

We hold all the cards more or less and are now just playing chicken with the agent. My feeling is that he will be forced to relent under pressure from Reims and likely  Hugo himself. We definitively walk away he’s potentially lost his biggest ever pay day (the agent).

We should absolutely be pursuing other targets for this position in the meantime.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Good post.

I think we'll target a right winger and a striker. As you say, a winger isn't part of a unit as such and can slot in, whereas any striker signed is likely going to be deputy to Wilson for the time being anyway.

I'm really interested to see who starts in midfield. You'd think Bruno and Joelinton are nailed on which probably means Shelvey will play a bit deeper than those two. I appreciate we can't fix everything overnight, but it lacks a bit of balance and we'll continue to struggle in possession, particularly if Bruno misses any game time.

We need another CM like, it's similar to the Dubs situation in that Shelvey is fine but if he get's injured we're playing Longstaff (he improved a lot but he cannot maintain possession and knock the ball about like Shelvey - he seems more suited backing up one of the no.8 roles).

I have near wet dreams of Eriksen pulling the strings there while Joelinton and Bruno run about like mad cunts.

I can see us ‘pulling out’ and then the transfer eventually going through in a few weeks time.

We’ve had a deal agreed with Reims for about a month now. For all the talk of Dortmund, PSG, Madrid etc their counter offers are conspicuously absent. It doesn’t suggest that the great and good of European football are that desperate to get their hands on him - at least not at the price we’re willing to pay.

I’m not suggesting that is a warning sign, but it does look like his agent is overplaying his hand. The minute we fuck off I reckon everyone will come to his senses.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

City didn’t buy a bunch of 29 year olds to win the league. 

Aguero, Hart,  Lescott, Toure, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero, Balotelli, Milner, Dzeko, Johnson all younger than 27 when city signed them surely. 

They did sign a bunch of stepping stone players like Bellamy, the other Toure etc. But we are doing the same - that’s everyone we’ve signed so far bar Botman and Bruno.  We are unlikely to make a profit on anyone else we’ve signed. 

Were those all Mark Hughes signings?

The situation around football is beginning to turn, PSG, the main one’s driving the lunacy have stated a shift in policy, they want homegrown Parisians in the side.

Yeah they just did that with Mbappe contract but you have to ask why? It’s not that they think the same system and strategy will win them a champions league.

That ship has sailed. Messi coming in was last throw off the dice as far goes their serious CL ambitions and it didn’t work.

The reason for that signing is the same end goal as keeping Mbappe, it’s about their (Qatar’s) self image before the World Cup starts.

They couldn’t be seen letting their star player leave for Madrid and were prepared to strangle themselves financially (ffp) to do so. They might try to sell the club afterwards, but if they don’t, it’ll be a total cutback compared to how they’ve been doing it.

World Cup will be over, and so will the motivation.

Spain is a hard one to make sense of, if reports were to be believed, Barca would be in danger of bankruptcy, Madrid too when that stadium work needs to be paid for, yet they continue to spend, albeit far far less than what they once did.

The PL will set the tone once PSG exit the stage.

Man City will be ok for a few more years, relatively young squad etc, at least they’ll only need to add one or two quality signings each summer to keep things fresh, but when the overall squad needs an overhaul, they might have to drop back a bit, their success also depends on how long Pep stays.

Man Utd have such high turnover that they could afford to keep throwing money at a problem they don’t know how to fix, but there’s no sign yet that they have a clue where to start. It’s a 2-3 year rebuilding job, unless Ten Haag is the worlds best manager? I just can’t see anything other than history repeating from previous seasons.

Liverpool are well run, refusing to pay the money that their players can get elsewhere, which means players coming in are joining for sporting reasons, something we should aspire and stick to at all costs. But financially they will be vulnerable to clubs like us when we eventually get to their level, they won’t be able to compete for signings if we’re happy to pay that extra 10m etc. (ie Lille holding out for us over Milan)

It may not necessarily be a case of the party being over but thankfully I think that Mbappe deal was the peak of it, or as Hunter Thompson wrote.. 

“and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark — that place where the wave finally broke, and rolled back.”

42 minutes ago, christ said:

I can see us ‘pulling out’ and then the transfer eventually going through in a few weeks time.

We’ve had a deal agreed with Reims for about a month now. For all the talk of Dortmund, PSG, Madrid etc their counter offers are conspicuously absent. It doesn’t suggest that the great and good of European football are that desperate to get their hands on him - at least not at the price we’re willing to pay.

I’m not suggesting that is a warning sign, but it does look like his agent is overplaying his hand. The minute we fuck off I reckon everyone will come to his senses.

This is where I’m at, too. As far as we know there’s not even another offer for him, let alone one anywhere near our amount.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Shane he can't get it right about moving from Carlos to Botman then, when it was the other way round. Rather simple thing to get wrong/check up on.

Not really. We wanted both. Carlos the short term priority in January and Botman the long term plan but wanted to stay until Summer so was was always likely going to sign now if at all. We’ve moved on from Carlos as we got Burn for the immediate impact instead. Basically what he said 🙂

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not really. We wanted both. Carlos the short term priority in January and Botman the long term plan but wanted to stay until Summer so was was always likely going to sign now if at all. We’ve moved on from Carlos as we got Burn for the immediate impact instead. Basically what he said 🙂

He didn't say that though he said we moved on from Carlos to Botman, which is incorrect. We were in for Botman first and only turned to Carlos when Lille made it clear he was not for sale. We then turned to Burn when Seville put the block on things. 

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We were in for both though, the initial plan seemed to be to replace both Schar and Lascelles but Schar (and Burn) bossing it negated any real point of us going for Carlos this summer. 

Maybe we were (though there was no mention of Carlos if I remember correctly until the Botman deal was a no go), still doesn't alter that's not what he said in that clip.