Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

8 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Not his best game today but hopefully he just had an off day, looking forward to seeing him run the show against Everton.

Not his best game but he was being man marked the whole time so it was clearly their game plan which worked to an extent.

Goes to show how important it is that we get another midfielder with quality on the ball who can take that burden off Bruno.

I watched the whole game today, was curious on how he would perform against Fred and Casemiro who know each other really well since they've been playing for Brazil togheter for a while.

He had an ok game, clearly anchored on a deeper role, Bruno Fernandes started the game man marking him and then Fred took up that role later, also there was a point in the game were he received a ball free and after he was fouled Fred and Bruno F. got into a bit of a argument clearly indicating that they were instructed to both keep an eye on him.

What was most interesting for me today was his duel with Fred, he didn't lose one, was well pressed and kind of annulled his forward passing game, but, he didn't lose a single ball to Fred.

On the other hand he took two balls from Fred that I saw, one on the edge of the box. 

Still think that Bruno is clearly the better player between the two, I'm curious to see how well both will perform at the WC. 

1 minute ago, duo said:

Hopefully a new DM is on the shopping list for Jan to free Bruno in playing in a more advanced position.

Unless they get someone on the cheap I think they’ll rely on Shelvey this season and go for attacking options in Jan. definitely a new DM in the summer though. 

7 minutes ago, duo said:

Hopefully a new DM is on the shopping list for Jan to free Bruno in playing in a more advanced position.

5 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Unless they get someone on the cheap I think they’ll rely on Shelvey this season and go for attacking options in Jan. definitely a new DM in the summer though. 

Agree with both. If we sign a midfielder it needs to be a defensive minded one, hence why I really wasn't arsed about the likes of Paqueta, though the Maddison thing confuses me a bit.

I think we'll look at attacking players in January should we be in touch of Europe come the World Cup. Diaby, Maddison, that ilk. But where the latter fits into the 4-3-3 I don't know, unless it's in that RW slot which operates more in the half space but I'd have thought that position is Isak's when Wilson's fit (which is rare admittedly).

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree with both. If we sign a midfielder it needs to be a defensive minded one, hence why I really wasn't arsed about the likes of Paqueta, though the Maddison thing confuses me a bit.

I think we'll look at attacking players in January should we be in touch of Europe come the World Cup. Diaby, Maddison, that ilk. But where the latter fits into the 4-3-3 I don't know, unless it's in that RW slot which operates more in the half space but I'd have thought that position is Isak's when Wilson's fit (which is rare admittedly).

Players like Diaby and Harrison fit the bill for Jan. Maddison is quality but like you I don’t see where we play him but Howe is talented and I’m sure if he wants him he’d find a way. They must have got wind that he was interested hence the previous bids but I think it’s more likely he moves to someone next summer.

And yet when EH was talking about Bruno this week he openly admitted the goals he’s added to his game have been an unexpected bonus which you wouldn’t really say if scouted as a AM. He’s clearly been bought as our DM which I don’t see in him against the top teams.

what is clear at this point is that we are at the level of Man U. We are clearly progressing, good quality additions in the next couple of windows will see us competing with the best. I'm not sure the same can be said about the Man U situation, it reeks of something aint right

13 hours ago, LFEE said:

And yet when EH was talking about Bruno this week he openly admitted the goals he’s added to his game have been an unexpected bonus which you wouldn’t really say if scouted as a AM. He’s clearly been bought as our DM which I don’t see in him against the top teams.

I wouldn't see him as a DM. More so so.eo e who can do that as well as prompt and create, bit like Man City's midfield which often doesn't have a rigid DM.