Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Keane is more entertaining than interesting. Exactly the sort of guy you want as captain or "in the trenches" as they would say but ultimately he's not smart enough to be a football manager or someone who understands the finer points of the game.

It's very much a science nowadays and for some reason I can't see Keane giving time of day to staff who analyse stats etc.

Carragher and Neville are way more switched on to modern methods and ignoring their clear bias, offer much greater insight.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Keane is more entertaining than interesting. Exactly the sort of guy you want as captain or "in the trenches" as they would say but ultimately he's not smart enough to be a football manager or someone who understands the finer points of the game.

It's very much a science nowadays and for some reason I can't see Keane giving time of day to staff who analyse stats etc.

Carragher and Neville are way more switched on to modern methods and ignoring their clear bias, offer much greater insight.

:thup: Fully agree with all of this.

I think Carragher is the best pundit now, clearly is obsessed with the game and always does his research ahead of things away from the big 6 when on MNF et al. I still like Neville but I don't think he's as good as he was when he started in that period 2011-13. Been a bit wide of the mark when it came to Benitez for us but always speaks really highly of us as a club and has been brilliant on the wider issues in the game but I think he's started doing a bit too much away from football. His book, the hotels, real estate, politics and more he's involved in. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

39 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Of course they are real things.  Where have I said they're not?

He was referring to Bruno being in a good run of form, now.  Despite the fact he only played the last two games and was injured for a good few.  Only played about 3 games at the start of the season.  So is it just this season he is referring to when he mentions his 'rich vein of form?'  

I'm sure they have an army of analysts feeding them stats and clips.  Bruno has shown class and been our best performer since he signed in Jan and has been on all the statto's radars the last two seasons at Lyon.  Some run of form, that.  True to form, he's just going in with football cliches and throwaway comments, though.    

I just find he plays up to his character and Sky probably encourage it.  It's like Zlatan, I'm sure they've become self-aware and do it for the sake of it.  I find it all a bit tiresome.  Ooh wait for it.  Keane's going to be miserable when everyone else is waxing lyrical.  Oh and then everyone will laugh and he'll be there staring into the camera like a maniac.

There seems to be a massive lack of insight from all ex-pro's in the mainstream, TBF.  It's just easy to single out Keane as he makes everything so dull, boring and negative.  Plus he's clearly an absolute cunt.

Why so defensive?

Bruno's had excellent form since he's started playing regularly in the team. He is in a rich vein of form. He's still new to the division. He hasn't proven that he's an elite level player in the PL. But atm he's clearly a very talented footballer - who is in good form. Keane (mostly) doesn't say someone is an excellent, top top player until they've proven it for some time which is fair enough.

I watched it live but i'm re-watching now. He winces at "the best they've ever had" :laugh: which is fair enough.

"Good character.. fans have took to him.. added goals to his game, got football intelligence 3x". What's wrong with that? "Obviously a confidence player" is a stretch, Bruno might just be a confident player in the main.

24 minutes ago, STM said:

Agree with this. Prefer Carra as he is more fun. Neville can make the game seem too serious.

I enjoy the Keane and Micah dynamic. Need more Micah type characters and less Danny Murphy's.

I like Keane on punditry but he's never going to offer any really deep insight. 

The likes of Carragher and Neville spend all day rewtaching games and videos, looking at stats preparing for Monday night football. 

I don't think Keane was being harsh on Bruno but the praise seemed pretty generic, just came across that he's probably not watched him much other than highlights. You will rarely ever hear him talking about specifics with players like that. Think he just turns up and reacts to what he sees, he won't go out of his way to prepare or research much and just views it as an easy gig. Shearer was the same for the first few years he was doing it. 

On a wider point. Youtube pundits like JLA basically shit all over mainstream ex footballers etc.

More articulate, more balanced, less bias, more researched and also prepared to have a bit of fun and be creative with their points.

Sky and MOTD will barely move past possession or shots on target as talking points, where as the former will compare metrics of players all across Europe or use heat map comparisons.

It really is chalk and cheese.

The reality is that your average Sky Sports subscriber isn't interested in the finer details, that's why they won't delve any further.

4 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

👍🏻 He chews gum during each match like a kid just having a knock about in the park. CAF this guy. Love him 🥰

Looks like it's the loaded with caffeine type, mind. I imagine it's that little kick he's after rather than it being his kid-like charm at play here. :lol:

On 10/10/2022 at 17:39, STM said:

I don't know if its been said yet but the Bruno situation will be one helluva test for our new owners. 

If we end up selling him for 100m, do we reinvest like Spurs did after Bale or Liverpool did after Coutinho? We've seen how little money 100m actually is, in reality.

I'd be putting a new contract on the table very soon.  Double his salary and add a year to his deal.

They listened. :lol:

16 hours ago, STM said:

On a wider point. Youtube pundits like JLA basically shit all over mainstream ex footballers etc.

More articulate, more balanced, less bias, more researched and also prepared to have a bit of fun and be creative with their points.

Sky and MOTD will barely move past possession or shots on target as talking points, where as the former will compare metrics of players all across Europe or use heat map comparisons.

The reality is that your average Sky Sports subscriber isn't interested in the finer details, that's why they won't delve any further.

Your average Sky Sports subsriber likes Micah Richards laugh more than the insight a proper pundit would offer

17 hours ago, STM said:

Not too sure about this tbh. JLA is regularly on Sky now presumably because they see this themselves. Even then, even he doesn't have the quick insight to be able to come up with talking points at half time or straight after a match like the pundits are also unable to (Carragher and Neville aside). His fallout episodes are a few days later. 

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Rumours from Football Insider that we're going to offer him an improved contract of £200K a week.

I'm uneasy about this sort of thing. He's only just got here. 

When you have a world class player on your books, you need to do everything you can to keep him