Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Shelvey has improved lately but this guy looks like he's gonna slot into his position easily.

Looked very classy with every touch and his closing down was better than anything we have had all season even in just a few minutes. 

His little cameo there might suggest hes capable of playing higher up the pitch in place of Willock rather than it being either him or Shelvey, if this is how Howe sees it then we could see him start next game.

We need people in midfield that can dictate the pace of the game, press, progress the ball up the pitch with passes and possession and look to get forward to support Wood and co. To help with chances and goals. As we don’t have many in this team and Wood looks poor as a lone striker.  

I’m not sure Shelvey offers any of that. He is static and slows our play down whilsy sitting deep. Yet somehow not screening the back 4. He only wants the ball when he is 70 yards from goal with nobody pressuring him. 100% should be out the team for Bruno. But I can’t see it. He’s a Howe favourite, I think. 

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

His little cameo there might suggest hes capable of playing higher up the pitch in place of Willock rather than it being either him or Shelvey, if this is how Howe sees it then we could see him start next game.

I think we might end up with Bruno in Joe’s position, and Joe in Fraser’s position, which is where he impressed with his pressing in Howe’s first few games. 

You’re right though, Bruno G. looks like he wants to go and win it up the pitch rather than wait for the attack to breach our midfield line and reach the defence. He’s not a shield he’s a sword!

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

He should have been sent off as well, he was very lucky imo. Minging tackle 

Yep. Then he also disappears even further from the game when he is on a yellow. As he can’t risk any more lunging slide tackles. 

He has improved under Howe and he has been one of our better players in a few games. But he is just so immobile and poor off the ball. He is a passenger for large chunks of the game.