Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He's said himself that he's carrying an ankle injury and that it's pissing him off 

Plus he was pictured wearing a compression garment on his ankle weeks after that while meeting fans on a day off. There's no doubt he's carrying a problem.

Edited by 80

I don't think he's been the same player post-WC break, and unfortunately the decline in form has now arrived at a nadir; it is over half a year since he scored, for example, even though he has had plenty of shooting positions in that time.  I do think he's getting caught on the ball more as teams and coaches have thought of ways to handle him during that break - as mentioned earlier, the rolling the ball with the studs to buy space is getting caught out more, as is short burst driving the ball too.  This is a compliment to his talent; it is less of an issue if we have other midfielders of his undoubted skill level then it would free up space and time for him.

We'll know he's injured if he runs straight off for surgery at the end of the season - but I just don't see someone like Howe playing him if he isn't fit; gegenpress doesn't work if you're carrying players, particularly in centre midfield.  I just think the lad's form has dipped, and teams have some coping mechanisms to deal with him.  He's still an excellent footballer, so I don't doubt he'll hit form again - but some are probably starting to see why he's an excellent midfielder rather than a world class one.

Did I just imagine that he has confirmed in an interview that he needs treatment on his ankle when the season is over? Think opposing teams knows it as well. Been a few times now where they've gone in on his ankle intentionally to wind him up, and it seems to have worked a few times where he's been really angry and/or frustrated by some tackles, probably out of anxiety of making things worse.

17 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Did I just imagine that he has confirmed in an interview that he needs treatment on his ankle when the season is over? Think opposing teams knows it as well. Been a few times now where they've gone in on his ankle intentionally to wind him up, and it seems to have worked a few times where he's been really angry and/or frustrated by some tackles, probably out of anxiety of making things worse.

He said the following after the Brentford game

“I twisted my ankle in the warm-up,” revealed Guimaraes. “It is good to have a full week (without a game) now because I will get some time to rest.  

“I don’t know if I can say it, but it is p*****g me off with my ankle. I need to get some rest and see at the end of the season what we can do, but I am not happy with my ankle.

“I got some pills (painkillers), but the first half was very tough for me. I think I improved my game and helped my team-mates to get the result.”

After the summer we need him back bossing it from his #6 position, he is the key to us ticking going forward. His vision, range of passing and when he’s fully fit he’s very press resistant on top of that.. those qualities just are not easily replaceable in that position. 

The talk of switching to a DM there, I can’t see it and I was pondering that idea up myself up until the WC. We lose so much more than we’d gain by doing that imo, with Bruno at 8 you’d just get less from his best qualities. 

Edited by Nine

I think you'd get the best of Bruno as the more progressive half of a double pivot. So, like:

Bruno - New #6

Maddison - Willock - Joelinton

Isak

This is a midfield and attack with a structure that has control written all over it. We've missed control in a lot of key games this season despite how well we've done. 

On 15/05/2023 at 17:23, Smal said:

I think you'd get the best of Bruno as the more progressive half of a double pivot. So, like:

Bruno - New #6

Maddison - Willock - Joelinton

Isak

This is a midfield and attack with a structure that has control written all over it. We've missed control in a lot of key games this season despite how well we've done. 

Nah my current theory is double pivots are the devil and I'm glad they're out of fashion. I agree he should be more advanced but stick with classic 4-3-3 formation, no going back to 4-2-3-1s