Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

12 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

Switzerland frequently play a back four, as recently as their draw against Italy when they qualified for the World Cup, a match that Schär playedin; I’m not convinced by the argument that he’s only suited to a back three. In fact he was our best defender v Leeds in a back four

International football is a slightly different kettle of fish to the premier league though. There’s a reason Rafa bought him and played him in a 3, he just doesn’t have the right attributes to be one half of a central defence at this level. He is more of a luxury progressive CB that needs to be covered.. not saying he’s absolutely dogshit in a 4 im just saying he’s a lot better suited to a 3. Agree he did have a good showing against Leeds although that has been the exception for him this season. 

Edited by Nine

Think that probably had more to do with the break in play halting Leeds' momentum than it did Longstaff coming in though. 

I do think Longstaff is a bit underrated though, as is any player who's main attribute is just running towards people [emoji38]

Joelinton does need to refine himself though and nail down an actual position as it would be a massive waste to just replace him in the summer. 

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

International football is a slightly different kettle of fish to the premier league though. There’s a reason Rafa bought him and played him in a 3, he just doesn’t have the right attributes to be one half of a central defence at this level. He is more of a luxury progressive CB that needs to be covered.. not saying he’s absolutely dogshit in a 4 im just saying he’s a lot better suited to a 3. Agree he did have a good showing against Leeds although that has been the exception for him this season. 

Bearing in mind this is the Bruno thread, I don’t want to bang about this but I would far rather see Schär in a back four playing with a naturally left footed fellow centre-back and with a strong right-back and right sided midfielder who can do the defensive yards meaning he’s not going to be dragged out wide too often than Lascelles who is coughing up possession too easily at the moment. Long sentence, hope it makes sense😀

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Has to be said, we looked far better at Elland Road when Joelinton came off. While he's improved greatly, he needs to learn some discipline to play in that midfield role, he's all over the show. 

I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing though. He’s great at winning the ball back for the team and I’m pretty such I read that the stats since moving to midfield put him number one in the league at doing that. He needs someone behind him that can sit back and have the athleticism to pick up the pieces when he finds himself out of position - Shelvey can’t do that and that’s our main problem which hopefully Bruno can help to solve

Edited by andyc35i

Lascelles isn't coughing up possession though. Howe has him distributing the ball short (mainly to Trippier I think). It's clearly tactical and looking at recent passing stats Lascelles is more than capable of it. Not a chance he drops him imo, Burn will come in on the left with a licence to be a bit more possitive in possession.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

4 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing though. He’s great at winning the ball back for the team and I’m pretty such I read that the stats since moving to midfield put him number one in the league at doing that. He needs someone behind him that can sit back and have the athleticism to pick up the pieces when he finds himself out of position - Shelvey can’t do that and that’s our main problem which hopefully Bruno can help to solve

That's why Bruno is going to be so transformative to us as a team.  It's an absolutely key role and position.  Him and Big Joe are going to boss the midfield and either Shelvey or Willock will be free to venture further up the pitch pushing us on.

I'd like to see:

Dubravka 

Schar    Lascelles      Burn

Trippier                                         Targett

Bruno        Joelinton 

Wilson    Wood     ASM

I think Wilson, once back, will get the most benefit from having Wood on the pitch. Far too often, he was being marked by two CBs.

If you have Wilson, Wood and ASM on a front line, Bruno and Joe have enough to break up play and get the ball forward. Trippier and Targett to support in the wide areas.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd like to see:

Dubravka 

Bruno        Joelinton 

Wilson    Wood     ASM

I think Wilson, once back, will get the most benefit from having Wood on the pitch. Far too often, he was being marked by two CBs.

If you have Wilson, Wood and ASM on a front line, Bruno and Joe have enough to break up play and get the ball forward. Trippier and Targett to support in the wide areas.

I think that is a decent team but again I worry about having Joelinton in a midfield 2 even if we have 3/5 at the back. He's going to have to learn extremely quickly if that's where he'll be playing. I feel like he's being used in midfield as more of a stop gap. I doubt he'd have been playing there at all if Hayden wasn't injured.

Edit: I'm not saying he hasn't been fantastic there btw, because he has been. It's just that it is a postion in which experience of said position is key.

Edited by Mazzy

18 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

A few of them seemed to stay seated and barely even look interested in the hand shake. I’m obviously just an old fashioned grump, but stand up and have a bit of respect FFS. 

Saw this yesterday and hesitated posting thinking am I just getting old but totally agree. I see it hasn’t went unnoticed on Twitter. Always defended Clark but that was very poor from him. Probably his introduction should’ve been more coordinated but thought it was very telling of the modern day footballer as Clark wasn’t the only guilty party.

1 hour ago, STM said:

I'd like to see:

Dubravka 

Bruno        Joelinton 

Wilson    Wood     ASM

We look a team when Wilson is back 

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Saw this yesterday and hesitated posting thinking am I just getting old but totally agree. I see it hasn’t went unnoticed on Twitter. Always defended Clark but that was very poor from him. Probably his introduction should’ve been more coordinated but thought it was very telling of the modern day footballer as Clark wasn’t the only guilty party.

Have to admit. My first thought when I saw the video was Clark playing on his phone.

Perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt, he knew there was filming going on and perhaps was a bit camera shy. On the flip side, Shelvey who gets loads of grief, seemed perfectly welcoming.

Hi lads, first post on the forum, I'm brazilian and a fan of Paranaense, signed up here just to see how well Bruno's gonna do for the magpies and to see the repercussion .

I've been watching him since his debut for my club in 2018, in 3 months, he got picked from our u-23 who plays the regionals for us, to the main team with Renan Lodi.  Both were essencial in our south american and brazilian cup titles in 18 and 19, but specially Bruno, even scoring on the first match of the Brazilian cup final. 

By the start of 2019 the other players were calling him and Lodi "blank check's", that's how good and important these kids were for the team (and they weren't wrong, Bruno's transfer to Lyon was the biggest my club who is known in Brazil for selling well ever had, also, the 20% from the newcastle transfer is the 3rd or 4th biggest transfer fee we ever received as well).

I've seen comparsions between him and the like's of Fabinho and Fernandinho here at this thread, i'd say he's neyther.

He's not a true anchor man like Fabinho and also lack's the physicality Fabinho has but passes and progresses way better, Fernandinho is an amazing player (and another player my club actyally formed, alongside the likes of Lodi, Alex Sandro and Otavio from Bourdeax) but for me, Bruno has something that even Fernandinho (who was a 10 here in Brazil and a excelent dribbler/ball carrier) doesn't have and that are his trough passes and ability to dictate the tempo of the game, you're gonna see, his passes are like he has the triangle button of a video game on the tip os his boots, if he adapts well you're gonna have a player to make history on the club.

Really hope he adapt's fast to the intensity of the EPL and the team, since I hope he can take Fred's spot on Brazil's lineup for this year world cup, I really believe he can become an amazing regista like player and make an amazing midfield trio with Casemiro and Paquetá.

Brazilian tip, the easiest way to pronounce his last name woud be something like "Geemarains" the ÃE sound in portuguese is fairly similar to the AIN in english.  

P.S. I've started a save with the Magpies in Football Manager in November, he was my first signing followed by Lodi, became THE owner of the midfield playing alongside Willock and Longstaff and later I brough C. Gallagher to complete the trio with him and Willock.

Seeing your squad today I'd go after the likes of Onana for the goal, Milenkovic (Fiorentina) or Koundé instead of Carlos as cb, Lodi for the LB (Targett is a good player but Lodi is an amazing offensive fullback) and Raphinha for the other wing, at least speaking of starting 11's your's would easilly be top 10 material in the EPL

A lineup like that would be amazing to watch and you certainlly got the cash to make it happen in 2 or 3 transfer windows.

Onana

Trippier, Kounde, Milenkovic, Renan Lodi

Willock, Bruno G., Gallager

Raphina            ASM

Wilson

Edited by JNK

5 minutes ago, JNK said:

Hi lads, first post on the forum, I'm brazilian and a fan of Paranaense, signed up here just to see how well Bruno's gonna do for the magpies and to see the repercussion .

I've been watching him since his debut for my club in 2018, in 3 months, he got picked from our u-23 who plays the regionals for us, to the main team with Renan Lodi.  Both were essencial in our south american and brazilian cup titles in 18 and 19, but specially Bruno, even scoring on the first match of the Brazilian cup final. 

By the start of 2019 the other players were calling him and Lodi "blank check's", that's how good and important these kids were for the team (and they weren't wrong, Bruno's transfer to Lyon was the biggest my club who is known in Brazil for selling well ever had, also, the 20% from the newcastle transfer is the 3rd or 4th biggest transfer fee we ever received as well).

I've seen comparsions between him and the like's of Fabinho and Fernandinho here at this thread, i'd say he's neyther.

He's not a true anchor man like Fabinho and also lack's the physicality Fabinho has but passes and progresses way better, Fernandinho is an amazing player (and another player my club actyally formed, alongside the likes of Lodi, Alex Sandro and Otavio from Bourdeax) but for me, Bruno has something that even Fernandinho (who was a 10 here in Brazil and a excelent dribbler/ball carrier) doesn't have and that are his trough passes and ability to dictate the tempo of the game, you're gonna see, his passes are like he has the triangle button of a video game on the tip os his boots, if he adapts well you're gonna have a player to make history on the club.

Really hope he adapt's fast to the intensity of the EPL and the team, since I hope he can take Fred's spot on Brazil's lineup for this year world cup, I really believe he can become an amazing regista like player and make an amazing midfield trio with Casemiro and Paquetá.

Brazilian tip, the easiest way to pronounce his last name woud be something like "Geemarains" the ÃE sound in portuguese is fairly similar to the AIN in english.  

P.S. I've started a save with the Magpies in Football Manager in November, he was my first signing folloed by Lodi, became THE owner of the midfield playing alongside Willock and Longstaff and later I brough C. Gallagher to complete the trio with him and Willock.

Seeing your squad today I'd go after the likes of Onana for the goal, Milenkovic (Fiorentina) or Koundé instead of Carlos as cb, Lodi for the LB (Targett is a good player but Lodi is an amazing offensive fullback) and Raphinha for the other wing, at least speaking of starting 11's your's would easilly be top 10 material in the EPL

A lineup like that would be amazing to watch and you certainlly got the cash to make it happen in 2 or 3 transfer windows.

Onana

Trippier, Kounde, Milenkovic, Renan Lodi

Willock, Bruno G., Gallager

Raphina            ASM

Wilson

Welcome and thanks for the incite. We’re so excited to see what Bruno can do. Cannot wait for him to feel the love  :smitten:

42 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Class post! Love this line:

It's totally true, wait till he adapts, i've always got the feeling he has a knack for even knowing how fast his teammates are so he can pick the right weight on the pass. 

42 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Welcome and thanks for the incite. We’re so excited to see what Bruno can do. Cannot wait for him to feel the love  :smitten:

I'm gonna leave two highlight videos of him playing in the red and black shirt. I haven't even seen the long one yet, but that's some of the magic he created for us in less than 2 years as a starter, mind you he was 20/21 at the time and 2018 was his first year in top level football (as good as it get's here at least).

At 2:20 the assist against the white team is a game with Boca Juniors on the group stage of the Libertadores we won 3-0.

This last video has all 10 goals he scored for us, the second was against our local and bigest rivals with our u23 and they with the main squad, the last one at 3:40 was the goal on the Brazilian Cup final.

here's the goals on the second leg, he didn't assist or score but was essencial to the team, I'd recommend watching the second goal around 1:34, it's one of the most beaultiful goals i've ever seen in a top tier final. (the dribble our player does is even hard to describe, just fine football, the guy who was dribbled was so shocked he couldn't even run after our attacker)

Other 2 things you should know, we call him Bruxo(Wizard) Guimarães in our town. Yesterday we were comenting on a whatsapp group the video of his arrival, saying that he clearly wants to play so much in the EPL that he arrived yesterday wearing his "game clothes" for the presentation.

btw there's an expression in Brazil that says "Joga de terno" wich translates to "Plays in a suit". 

The other and really important one, he loves the big games! 

Thanks for the wellcome guys! Gonna be checking in kinda frequentlly, I'm really excited about this transfer (even for my club it was really good $) and like I said, I wanna see how well he does in the EPL so we can have him start for Brazil.

He needs to experience these big games more often if he wants to start at the World Cup and the EPL is sure the place for that, god forbid if we have to start Fred in November.  

Edited by JNK