Dele Alli

Yorkie

Just now, Tiresias said:

Do wonder if there's something going on with him not public before jumping to him just being lazy and greedy, it is a terrible shame considering how good he used to be, just baffling

Despite Mourinho’s shortcomings, he’s generally pretty protective of his players in public. I doubt he would’ve come out and called him “fucking lazy” or whatever the quote was, if there were other private issues involved. The way he’s been discarded by so many clubs and managers would suggest otherwise too. 

I think in 5 years or so we'll be hearing about his the extent of his mental health issues. When the elite are separated by a very low %, it must be hard when you are struggling, especially when you are perceived to have everything.

Luckily for him Everton have offered him a daft contract which will see him comfortable way beyond the end of his career, which was about 2 years ago. 

The Spurs 'All or Nothing' series showed Alli in a terrible light and ever since then I've never wanted him. You could see him just walking around in training and Mourinho tried to give him a big warning about his attitude in his office. Looking back Mourinho was 100% spot on with his words 

Pretty sad really :sad:

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Never understand the whole it's a shame thing with these type of bellends

Probably because it's a shame to see potential go unfulfilled and immediately assuming someone's a bellend based on more or less nothing is a bit weird.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Heard some rumours from his time at MK Dons involving addiction. Which may be complete bollocks, of course and is all just rumours. Would perhaps explain the complete drop off the last few years, mind. 

Some Spurs supporting mates just point to him basically playing as a second striker, in some kind of free role. Then never working at other aspects of his game. So totally going missing when put into a structured system. There does always seem to be a perceived lack of effort and a bad attitude. Mourinho’s comments in the Spurs doc kind of put weight behind that line of thinking. 

Personally always thought he came across as an absolute cunt and a snide shithouse on the pitch. So I loved his fall from grace, at first. But it is a waste of talent and it’s sad if he does have some personal demons. 

Hearing from some Spurs fans that his attitude or work rate isn't the problem here, it's moreso a combination of actually just not being very good and that he fulfilled a specific role that isn't need anymore. 

I feel like it has to be multiple reasons, not just laziness for a decline like this.

Was absolutely class for a few seasons, really good passer who found space and could score goals as well. Hence why he found himself in the England team. 

I used to dread seeing his name on the team sheet when we played Spurs as he seemed to always have a good game vs us. 

Seemed a complete knob with a massive ego after watching that spurs documentary. 

To think of the players him and wilshere really could have been, it is a massive shame. 

Don’t believe for a second that he’s not good enough, he showed for 2-3 seasons that he was one of the most exciting talents of his generation. His vision and quality was there to see most games. Clearly he’s got major issues with either his attitude or his mental health as his drop-off is amongst the worst you could imagine. That’s probably fed into him not being fit enough. When you think about what’s required to be at the top level, you can’t coast or go backwards when the majority of players are desperate to push on

Him and Eric Dier always seemed canny on Gogglebox. 

I think some people reach a point where they're pretty content with their lot and have achieved more than they set out to achieve, especially if their youth was very humble and/or challenging. If you take your foot off the gas at an elite level then you'll go downhill quickly. 

Agree there could also be stuff come out about his mental health or that he's fallen out of love with the game. I do think it's a shame as he was a silky, effective player who was fun to watch, and his decline has been drastic. 

Think he only really suited that 4231 that alot of teams were using for a while. The free role with no defensive responsibility and total freedom in attack. 

Don't really think he fits in anywhere in a 433 or 3 ATB or any side that likes to press as a team. 

Clearly other issues as well, mind. When he played for Everton he looked like he couldn't be arsed at all. 

It was interesting that Spurs only just pipped us to him when he was signed. For years I thought what a steal at 5m, what could have been etc etc, and he's obviously more than repaid their trust in him with his first few seasons. 

But if he had signed for that shell version of NUFC - we probably wouldn't have even seen those amazing few seasons. So much of a players career depends on environment, right place right time, right coach etc.

He's not the first who can only play very well under one manager. I do wonder if him going to Poch, no matter what team he's at could be the last thing to salvage his career. Someone who truly understands how to get the best out of him. 

It also could be Owen style - burned out too soon, shone very brightly but for only a brief period. Played more senior level football in his teens than perhaps he should have, as his body was growing. 

I find if players are ‘lazy’ maybe there’s something a bit more complex going on with their personal life, mental health. I really doubt he’s satisfied with his professional situation the past few years - sure he would much rather the days of being an exciting talent than washed out, moved around clubs and getting booed by fans. He’s still a young lad and had a difficult upbringing, so I’d imagine still needs the right guidance to set him straight. 

I do also agree his position might not be the easiest to stay effective in and maybe his attitude has resulted from his frustration to find form again. 

Has to be a mental health reason. Same as Nile Ranger. People always tbh ought of the letter as a dickhead which is probably true, but there can’t be any other reason for such little desire when you have the world at your feet.

Admitedly, I've not watched the Spurs documentary but I can't recall him doing too much wrong outside of football for people assume he's a bellend.

He's always seemed in pretty good nick, fitness-wise, you never see him looking like he's carrying weight or struggling for fitness.

I'd like to see him turn it around. It's a huge shame for him to end a career, written off in Turkey, where people only ever play for one last pay cheque.

I'd be interested to see how he'd fair in the MLS given he's much younger than the typical England International who winds up there for a few quid and nicer weather for their families for a few years (Gerrard, Beckham, Robbie Keane, Rooney etc).

Would be an interesting experiment to see if a younger, still in his physical prime, player of that quality could rip the MLS up.

Might be a nice way to get his career back on track too...