Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

41 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

My apologies, I’ll be optimistic so I think we’ll beat them 9 - 0 and to quote the great SBR “you can’t score any more than that”.

[emoji38]

I mean I'm not telling you how to feel, only yesterday I said we will get beat 0-2.

Just geeing up the troops!

HWTL:indi:

31 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Just looked through their recent results and they're not exactly impressive.  

Lost to Brentford, only managed to win by 1 against Everton.  

Exactly, their form is no better than ours and we've faced stiffer competition. We're on equal points with them over the last 6 and 8 games. We're 2 points behind them over the last 10 (a stretch includes the arsenal, leicester, liverpool, and man city loses). They're 2 points better off than us in that time. Not spectacular.

Also, contra an earlier comment,  regarding Villas scoring prowess. Villa have managed to score 3 goals in exactly one game since Gerrard took over. Leeds, on the other hand, have managed to score 3 goals three times in their last fives games.

32 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

One being a fantastic free kick that don’t happen every game and one a crazy deflection - don’t expect that every game. Before the Everton game you have to go back to the 20th November against Brentford for the last time we scored more than one goal.

Thankfully, football doesn't work that way. Never underestimate confidence and momentum.

I'm certainly not saying we should expect to win but we have reasons to go into this game with a positive mindset.

I think we need to stop having an inferiority complex any more. Those days are over.

This is a new era, new owners, new players, new hope. None of this ‘we’re Newcastle, nothing good ever happens’. We need to have optimism and belief and meet any setbacks with a shrug, as our rise is inevitable.

We are not the Newcastle of Ashley any more, we need to stop being the same fans. 

Edited by LV

Those 2 wins will do confidence a power of good , still a long way to go this season and the need to build goes on , for sure I WANT to win as posters think we should but at the same time let's learn NOT to lose , that mindset will achieve our one goal 4th bottom at least.  Nothing else matters lads . Today we can win , Trippier playing is key ,if he doesn't want may have to grind out a draw . Injury free will also be a massive plus .

I can't stand Villa , it gets quite fruity after the match , take care around the Leazes after the game lads , just saying on what I've observed in the last 2 home games with them .

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I fear a bit of a return to earth loss at this point but i am very pessimistic person

I was thinking this after reading that Athletic article about how Howe's revitalised the club. I feel like stuff like that tends to come out before losing a match. I'm sure as we hopefully get better we'll get more and more confident of our chances.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Summat's changed. I'm not feeling like going today is a chore or that a shitshow and a thumping is inevitable. I'm looking forward to it entirely, probably for the first time this season.

Yep. The fact that Villa will undoubtedly be a challenge makes this game an exciting test for where we are. Said the same about the Everton game and we passed with flying colours. Win this and West Ham is the next test. Lose and our next test is Brentford in the game after.

34 minutes ago, LV said:

I think we need to stop having an inferiority complex any more. Those days are over.

This is a new era, new owners, new players, new hope. None of this ‘we’re Newcastle, nothing good ever happens’. We need to have optimism and belief and meet any setbacks with a shrug, as our rise is inevitable.

We are not the Newcastle of Ashley any more, we need to stop being the same fans. 

Agree with the sentiment. However, I’d just say that while Villa aren’t amazing, they are undoubtedly better then the Everton we played on Tuesday and the Leeds we beat 0-1. This is a good test of where we actually are right now IMO. Have we really improved enough to beat solid teams like Villa, or are we 17th for a reason that goes beyond Bruce? We’ll find out.

Team selection is key here. One more time for luck, I think Shelvey and Lascelles, if played, will get the run around and we’ll see at least one of them replaced for West Ham.

Edited by Dr Venkman

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Agree with the sentiment. However, I’d just say that while Villa aren’t amazing, they are undoubtedly better then the Everton we played on Tuesday and the Leeds we beat 0-1. This is a good test of where we actually are right now IMO. Have we really improved enough to beat solid teams like Villa, or are we 17th for a reason that goes beyond Bruce? We’ll find out.

Team selection is key here. One more time for luck, I think Shelvey and Lascelles, if played, will get the run around and we’ll see at least one of them replaced for West Ham.

I don't get that, are teams like Everton and Leeds just poorer teams when they've played us ? Maybe Villa will do the same today then ?