Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

Many on this board seem to get obsessed with this idea of players being 'out of position'.

A manager can't pick all 11 players in their best positions. There are always compromises to be made, all over the pitch. Picking one player will nearly always have a knock on effect on how you use other players. It's just a matter of getting the best possible blend. We can see that with all these debates about how to blend Bruno into the side. 

The thing I like about Murphy is he always looks eager to get on the ball and make things happen. I don't get that feeling at all with Manquillo, even though defensively he's the safer bet. I think we need to keep that positive momentum.

And come on. He's not that far 'out of position' at RB.

Manquillo helped to provide a match winning moment with his positivity against Leeds. Raphinha barely got a kick when Manq came on

Take the game to them like against Everton. They have dangerous players, but so do we, go and attack them and don’t be afraid, they are an average team with one or two very good players…

Edited by HTT II

48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The only issue is that looks a bit narrow. Their full backs leave a lot of space in behind that we can exploit.

I'd be expecting ASM to exploit that space. I only put him there to suggest a free role.

Edit: 

Start with  him attacking the right. I imagine they're focussed on dealing with him on the left. Once they realise [at 2-0] that their plan is shot to shit, switch him back to the left and release Trippier on the right. Or bring on Fraser.

Edited by Happinesstan

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Take the game to them like against Everton. They have dangerous players, but so do we, go and attack them and don’t be afraid, they are an average team with one or two very good players…

I think my formation is taking it to them. They'll be prepared for a similar approach to Everton. They'll be looking to Coutinho to find the attackers against Lascelles and Schar, who have been admirable, but against Coutinho will struggle. Play 3 CBs and instruct them to look for the interceptions. Schar can make the decision to cover when necessary. If we can delay Coutinho releasing the ball we can win it in midfield and release ASM into space.

Let ASM run the show in the first half. I think he'd benefit from scoring an early goal. His performances regularly demand/deserve a goal, and I think if he can get the personal satisfaction out of the way, he'll be more focussed on the team. I think we'll blow someone away one day when he scores early on, and we see just how good he truly is.

Edited by Happinesstan

A point isn't disastrous, would put us 2 points ahead of Norwich with a game in hand

Plus a point means the unbeaten run continues and 9 points from a possible 15 is not to be sniffed at, however this is a huge opportunity to get a win as that would be massive. Not only in putting us more than a win clear of the bottom 3 it would also dent their confidence 

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

W5 D2 L4 since Gerrard came in but no truly outstanding results. They've beaten the teams around them, suggesting they're a top half team: Brighton, Leicester, Norwich, Palace and Everton. But then they also lost at Brentford and obviously couldn't see out a victory against a pretty flawed Leeds team. 

It'll be a far bigger test than Everton for sure but it's another good opportunity for us. It'd be gutting if complacency were to creep in after only a couple of wins; it needs to be approached with the same intensity as Tuesday. 

Gerrard's Villa have earned two points more than Howe's Newcastle over the last ten games. We've improved drammatically, but nobody could describe our form or Villa's as outstanding.  I suspect that some of the plaudits they're getting is because of the media's love for Gerrard.