Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

1 minute ago, STM said:

Sounds like you are watching the wrong podcasts.

Of the YT shows, the only one I really like is Loaded Mag. The others aren't bad as such, the most popular one is Toon Review, but a couple of the main hosts are not that insightful.

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Would like to disagree with you, but sadly some of the most popular podcasts/shows on youtube seem to have the thickest hosts. They aren't entirely stupid either, some of them have big opinions, but big opinions based on half knowledge is worse than no opinion tbh.

They aren’t daft, they ALL know their audience! From the thickos to the smarter ones…

Edited by HTT II

10 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

But a football pundit saying he 'cannot help but feel sorry for Bruce' is absurd. He gets paid to talk about football and researching Bruce's career isn't too hard.

I haven't read the article so it might not be reflective of that, but the tweet is stupid.

He wouldn't be the first journalist to hit tweet without considering every possibility and he won't be the last - so I get your point and agree. I don't feel sorry for Bruce at all largely because  he has done well to control the narrative with us and reinforce the 'delusional Geordies tag' while his spell at Villa is now being painted as 'he came in and steadied the ship'.

I think we have to accept that too many of these folk have personal relationships that supersede objectivity. It's like if you took the job. There'd be people on here loathe to criticise you regardless. Right now, this guy is extending him a chance to turn it around. We know he won't. We know he's shite, but they'll argue he deserves at least some opportunity.

I also feel like because he's been there four games it's hard for most of them to realise what they've signed up for. We had a brilliant manager before him and were trending upwards - we knew what we'd lost and what we'd gained. They, by all accounts, are having a shite season so in reality it's nothing to do with Bruce it's just more evidence of how poorly run they are as a club. That's why I compare him to the Monorail guy. He'll come in as Steve '1000 games' Bruce and he'll say the right things early doors. They'll talk about his promotions and his experience, and even give him a pass early on because - like he told us - he's 'undoing the work of a predecessor'.

The problem comes when he has to deliver. If come the end of the season the form is roughly the same, the football is shite, they'll start asking all the same questions we are. I'm not for a moment saying I feel sorry for Bruce. I'm just saying the notion that he can step into a bad job is totally possible. If anything he seems to have made a career from it. 

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

I think because they have to be 'in the know' about football and all teams in general, they can't go into the nuances and depths of details that fans can, who only care and focus on their own team. They become a bit of a generalist and resort to stereotypes and general cliches instead of knowing the word on the street. 

That and also they are often in place due to their career as ex-footballers - they are not exactly blessed with intelligence or high level of education so that might be at play too

"Unless they went through Southampton's academy obviously.":pardsgrin: 

23 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Comments fairly full with West Brom fans agreeing with Madeley

Because normally managers go into a perfect set ups after their predecessors were sacked for doing a great job and a 'new manager bounce' like, never happens, its not even a thing, just some words put together

The all-out defense of this bloke - who has achieved nothing as a manager in nearly a 25years is weird.

He's the victim again.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Steve Bruce's biggest problem is that he thinks he's cracked it. He won the league as a centre back in the 90s, so how dare anyone suggest he doesn't know how to make a good football team.

The reality is, hes not willing to work hard, I'd suggest he was probably the laziest manager in the league when he was our manager and he's not willing to learn. He thinks tactics, formations, plans, analysis is namby pamby stuff that footballing geeks do but proper footballing men like him don't need.

It's quite disgusting arrogance to be honest. He just can't handle the pressure, he's like a walking heart attack.

I hate him more than Pardew. At least Pardew looked after himself.

22 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Comments fairly full with West Brom fans agreeing with Madeley

I'm particularly a fan of the responses in there asking when the last time was that he didn't take a 'toxic' job. Seems to be a pretty common theme that his pals really refuse to grasp at the expense of winding up fans of his former victims. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

Steve Bruce's biggest problem is that he thinks he's cracked it. He won the league as a centre back in the 90s, so how dare anyone suggest he doesn't know how to make a good football team.

The reality is, hes not willing to work hard, I'd suggest he was probably the laziest manager in the league when he was our manager and he's not willing to learn. He thinks tactics, formations, plans, analysis is namby pamby stuff that footballing geeks do but proper footballing men like him don't need.

It's quite disgusting arrogance to be honest. He just can't handle the pressure, he's like a walking heart attack.

I hate him more than Pardew. At least Pardew looked after himself.

I agree with everything you have said there.

I'd also like to add that the bloke is a prick..a Man You supporting pick.

I hate him more than any other former NUFC manager.

During my time supporting the club, I have always retained a soft spot for our ex managers regardless of their success rate with us. There was always the feeling that they were trying their best for the club and us. Unfortunately Ashley and his cronies have altered this. Pardew, Kinnear, and Carver were all abhorrent in differing amounts, and it was fun to see the depths that they fell too post toon.
However, Bruce has reached new heights, with this, during his time here his narcissistic view was never about our club, it was about him, and it is joyous to watch the depths he takes clubs too. WBA, should know better, but appear to be in denial of the obvious and certainty of his failure. The only crumb of hope for them, is when it all falls to pieces, the next manager will surely have a free ride to make progress, and the fans can then get back onside.

In the meantime, to see the same old figures supporting his obvious failures and pathetic excuses is hilarious to see and follow. Looking forward to more WBAmisery with glee, until the point the fans realize what has actually turned up.

IMO non of the Fergie players have made good managers because they didn't follow his model, Fergie hired great coaches not mates, he bought players for positions not names, he had total control of the dressing room (and beyond) and most of all he was a grafter with 100% commitment and he worked harder and longer than any of his rivals.

His players that have tried management are millionaires that do it for vanity and a few more quid.

Edited by Ben

48 minutes ago, Ben said:

IMO non of the Fergie players have made good managers because they didn't follow his model, Fergie hired great coaches not mates, he bought players for positions not names, he had total control of the dressing room (and beyond) and most of all he was a grafter with 100% commitment and he worked harder and longer than any of his rivals.

His players that have tried management are millionaires that do it for vanity and a few more quid.

Based on what? 

With any new manager, usually brought in after a run of bad results, there's a carousel of excuses that all fans will make when those results don't improve.

First it's the players - all are either gutless or useless. No point looking at the manager as even Pep couldn't get a tune out of this lot, etc etc.

Then it's the owners / DOF, who are clueless and haven't made the right appointments etc, leading to a hopelessly unbalanced squad.

Finally, it turns back to the manager who was originally going to be the person to turn it all around.

That's the gap, before the finger points back at you, where a serially underperforming manager like Bruce gets in and earns a living.

I think the real trouble with appointing Bruce, though, is that it's a bit like not noticing you've stepped in a big dog turd.

By the time you've realised that the stink is coming from your own shoe, you've already trampled it all through the carpet and it's going to take ages to clean up the mess.

It wouldnt surprise me if ferguson coached players were worse off than other ex player managers as

a) they will feel a sense of entitlement and assumption they will have been passed on the 'fergie' magic

b) they will naturally try and emulate him but without the position of absolute authority fergie had at man u, fergie could do the 'hairdriers' and kick a boot into beckhams face because the players had huge respect for him based on achievement and also knew they'd be out the door sooner than him. You try that in your first year as manager with diffident results you lose the dressing room you lose your job. Player power has only increased since fergie left. 

c) they think they have seen teh secret of being a great manager from him in dressing room and on training ground, they did not see any of the other stuff and suspect don't put much stock by it. 

Being a manager is difficult, many ex players are suited to it, many not. Need a degree of humility I think and geniune studiousness which isn't well bred in the laddish british dressing rooms of the 90s and 00s. Rooney seems to have been doing a fine job in horrendous circumstances much to my susprise. Thats the kind of difficult lesson lampard might have had had he not been promoted too soon and clearly thinks he's already the second coming as a manager with no evidence. Jurys still out on both, Lampard could improve, and Rooney has benefit that he cant really be blamed for bad results only praised for noble effort. (speaking more broadly of that generation of players obvs lampard never played under fergie)

Edited by Tiresias

Bruce who, “ultimately needed to go. People were saying ‘why didn’t you act quicker’, but we had to take stock of everything and find out what the issues were”.

“We had to get the building blocks in place before we hit the transfer window,” Staveley says. “In my opinion, we weren’t fit enough. They just hadn’t had intense training. They were disjointed, not working together. We had to get that sense of oneness, of belonging, of being united.”

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Bruce who, “ultimately needed to go. People were saying ‘why didn’t you act quicker’, but we had to take stock of everything and find out what the issues were”.

“We had to get the building blocks in place before we hit the transfer window,” Staveley says. “In my opinion, we weren’t fit enough. They just hadn’t had intense training. They were disjointed, not working together. We had to get that sense of oneness, of belonging, of being united.”

Mad that a lady who has been involved in Football for less than half a year knows more about the basics of what a squad needs than someone “who has done it for many years”

Watching this match today has made me seethe so much more that we were managed by this cunt for so long. We've got good players, they just needed some Premier League conditioning for fitness, coaching that brought out their best attributes, pre-match prep and a game plan where everyone knew their role. Fucking hell I am flabbergasted how he's been stealing a living all these years, man. So glad he's fucked off.