Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Man gets no respect. It's unreal.

I’ve always liked him, he’s probably one of the best British managers in the PL era, not a high bar I know, but his teams were always exciting to watch and without his time at Spurs, they wouldn’t be where they are today as a top 4/6 regular European team.

Just now, HTT II said:

I’ve always liked him, he’s probably one of the best British managers in the PL era, not a high bar I know, but his teams were always exciting to watch and without his time at Spurs, they wouldn’t be where they are today as a top 4/6 regular European team.

Absolutely. 100%. Took Spurs into the Champions League and had a good run in that period.

Pretty sure he was the one that turned things around for Bale too and pushed him further up the pitch. They had stopped playing him at left back even, because he had this weird thing where they lost every game he featured in.

Not to mention also that team he put together at Portsmouth that he won an FA cup with.

He was good with money backing him.  Clearly an old school manager who was more about the relationship with the players over tactics. Most clubs he managed towards the end over-reached with spending and were in poor shape after he left though 

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Harry was good. Of the PFMs Hughes was good up until about 2014ish too. The rest though...

I always thought Hughes was somewhat alright, certainly better then Bruce, but it says something he is now in League 2 with Bradford.

Redknapp was undoubtedly a good manager, but clearly dodgy as hell and a bit of a wide boy which doesn't exactly do much to enhance his reputation.

That said I've met him briefly at a petrol station a few months back and he came across really well, and everyone else I know who's met him (he used to do charity work for a company who shared our building, so that's quite a lot of people) say the same - that he's a really decent bloke. So since he's finished with football I've revised my opinion on him upward quite a bit.

24 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Redknapp was undoubtedly a good manager, but clearly dodgy as hell and a bit of a wide boy which doesn't exactly do much to enhance his reputation.

That said I've met him briefly at a petrol station a few months back and he came across really well, and everyone else I know who's met him (he used to do charity work for a company who shared our building, so that's quite a lot of people) say the same - that he's a really decent bloke. So since he's finished with football I've revised my opinion on him upward quite a bit.

Aye,  I remember when he was being done for tax evasion and he said he couldn't read or write. 

6 hours ago, elbee909 said:

It'd be all too easy if Bruce teams never won. They win occasionally. Just enough to keep the gravy flowing

That's the masterclass of Steve Bruce, he out plays the stats by having his teams so shit that they don't even win when they statistically should... but always the game afterwards. Keeps everyone guessing. You can't teach that. 

Edited by OCK