Tottenham Hotspur 5 - 1 Newcastle United (03/04/2022)

BlueStar

39 minutes ago, Robster said:

Think Waddle was with you at that point wasn't he ?

Yeah, iirc it was something like Waddle, Hoddle, Ardiles, Paul Allen and Chiedozie/Micky Hazard in midfield, which was absolutely ridiculous when we were playing well.

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

35 points would've kept you up in each of the last 5 seasons. So we need another 4. I think we should be aiming for 7 from the next 4 games which would see us on 38 points.

Everton are at Burnley next which is a massive game. Would love to see Everton relegated, but if they win that the bottom three suddenly look a long way adrift. 

For me manquillo, shelvey, big joe and fraser were all very poor today.

The rest weren't at the races.

Spurs had some very sharp passing and confidence on the ball, their front three were top class.

We were poor but ultimately Trippier & Bruno are the only two players in our side who get near their first XI. We’re a few transfer windows away from being close to them quality wise. I thought before the game we could be at our best and then at 70% but because of the quality of their front 3 they could still beat us by a couple. We didn’t get started Second Half and it was even worse.

I know we all know that this squad is still weak, but this result shows that despite our recent good performances, there is still a lot of players in this squad who are not good enough.

I also believe it shows that our squad mentality is still quite weak. Conceding an equaliser just after going ahead is a bad sign, but conceding 2 goals right after each other twice later in the game just highlights that even if this team is not good enough to win or draw games, they are still mentally weak enough to allow themselves to be walked over and heavily beaten.

We need to invest heavily in the squad in the summer, and yes we may have good players in a couple of positions, but we may still not have good enough quality in back up positions and we only have a couple of players of any really quality who we can use going forward.

I don't think it's the defeat as such that's got people riled, it's the manner of it. The undefeated 3rd quarter of the season raised expectations of fans and Howe rightly got praised to the rafters for the results and performances but today was as bad as it's been under Bruce. The drop-off in effort and organisation was pronounced and a blast from the bad old days which suggest Howe is still a million miles away from cracking it consistently. 

Today was shocking but that's 3 losses off the bounce now and questions are rightly going to be asked of Howe and the players and they need answers. They all need to take the rough with the smooth and respond on Friday   

57 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

You think we will lose all the next four games against Wolves, Leicester, Palace and Norwich?

I think we should get a win and a draw out of these, but if we somehow lose them all then the next games would leave it rather uncomfortable.

"Posted Wednesday at 22:32

Going to this. Haven't ever seen us lose away.

Keep the beers cold."

Well this aged like an egg and bean fart stored in the sewers. What a way to pop my cherry, like losing my virginity to the ugly sister of the worst looking bird in class.

Need to watch the highlights properly but the 4th and 5th goal we've basically given up by then. They absolutely schooled us on the flanks from what I could see today.

I'm also sick and tired of this predictable pass to Maxi and hope for the best shit that we saw today, proper Bruce levels of tactics there. Teams deal better with him now, we need other goal scorers and attacking threats.

Wilson and Trippier out did not help us today at all but by fucking God I cannot wait to see the back of Chris Wood. Absolute nightmare second half, they had us dead and buried in the space of 10 minutes - the concerning thing is the players who scored for them, Doherty and Royale. Very very bad.

Edited by Amir_9

47 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I know we all know that this squad is still weak, but this result shows that despite our recent good performances, there is still a lot of players in this squad who are not good enough.

I also believe it shows that our squad mentality is still quite weak. Conceding an equaliser just after going ahead is a bad sign, but conceding 2 goals right after each other twice later in the game just highlights that even if this team is not good enough to win or draw games, they are still mentally weak enough to allow themselves to be walked over and heavily beaten.

We need to invest heavily in the squad in the summer, and yes we may have good players in a couple of positions, but we may still not have good enough quality in back up positions and we only have a couple of players of any really quality who we can use going forward.

Correct. Our squad is full of players who can raise their game to a level that MIGHT keep you in the PL if you played consistently.

26 minutes ago, robbo_11 said:

I think we should get a win and a draw out of these, but if we somehow lose them all then the next games would leave it rather uncomfortable.

If we cant pick up a point in this run we deserve everything bad that is coming for us. 

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could see these finishing 4th now as well. Defence isn’t the best but I like Romero, and Bentancur & Hoijberg behind that front three is as good as anything outside the top 2.

Sad to see Conte going from celebrating titles to putting 5 past us for fourth :lol: 

We didn't do too bad at the start and until our goal it was quite even, i don't know what happened in the second half as we completely lost our way, Tottenham are a good side and on a good run of form but we just completely collapsed, a lot of our players looked out of shape and too slow which is weird considering all the time they've had to prepare for this.

1 hour ago, midds said:

I don't think it's the defeat as such that's got people riled, it's the manner of it. The undefeated 3rd quarter of the season raised expectations of fans and Howe rightly got praised to the rafters for the results and performances but today was as bad as it's been under Bruce. The drop-off in effort and organisation was pronounced and a blast from the bad old days which suggest Howe is still a million miles away from cracking it consistently. 

Today was shocking but that's 3 losses off the bounce now and questions are rightly going to be asked of Howe and the players and they need answers. They all need to take the rough with the smooth and respond on Friday   

In 2017-2018, Spurs defeated us 4-1. That was a team with Salah, Coutinho, Firmino, Matip, Gomez, Can, Henderson, Milner. That squad was way ahead of where your squad is now in quality and tactics. That might have been the defeat that convinced Klopp to go bigger and purchase Van Dijk and Allison. Such defeats are expected when you are learning to play an expansive way. Also, Kane and Son are incredibly intelligent and incisive players who know how to exploit a high line. Add to that Conte's nous and the new signings. 

I thought today was the first loss we deserved after the good run we had, we were robbed by bad officiating against Chelski and Everton, but today we were just plain shit. That said, I think the most disappointing thing for me was how much it highlighted how far English football has fallen that players falling down at the slightest touch is now accepted as the norm and even cheered on by the punditry as good play. That and seeing a player like Kane, who is revered so much by the media, practically begging the referee to get another player sent off. For anyone to put Kane in the same bracket as Shearer for sportsmanship and professionalism is laughable and the difference for me as far as ability is concerned is that Shearer made his own goals, Kane needs his goals to be made for him.