General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

56 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Were Beresford and Barton really that good? 

I would argue Irving Nattress and David Craig were better than Barton. One footballer missing due to his injury which finished his career was Tony Green, who was out of this world. Would have been one of our all time greats if he hadn’t got that injury.

3 hours ago, 54 said:

No Beardsley in there shocking. Plus I'd perhaps go David Craig over Barton. Milburn and Shearer is tough to argue with, but Hughie Gallacher probably should have a chance of getting in there. I know football was utterly different in the 1920s but his scoring rate for us is an absolute joke: 143 goals in 174 appearances ffs. :lol: Also Supermac deserves a mention as he was class and my dad's first hero.

Colin Veitch too and the defenders of his era such as Hudspeth, McCraken deserve a mention, they had to change the offside rule because they were so good at offside traps and keeping clean sheets because of how good they were. From the Guardian:

(...)by the mid-20s several clubs, most notably Newcastle United with their full-back pairing of Frank Hudspeth and Bill McCracken, had become so obsessed with offside that games would be compressed into a narrow sliver either side of the halfway line.

When Newcastle drew 0-0 at Bury in February 1925, it came as the final straw. It was Newcastle's sixth goalless draw of a season that produced what at the time was an unthinkably low average of 2.58 goals per game. The football was boring, attendances were falling and the FA, for once, not only recognised that something needed to be done, but set about doing it.

Plus, was Albert even that good as a defender? People tend to opt for Woodgate or Coloccini. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

No Beardsley in there shocking. Plus I'd perhaps go David Craig over Barton. Milburn and Shearer is tough to argue with, but Hughie Gallacher probably should have a chance of getting in there. I know football was utterly different in the 1920s but his scoring rate for us is an absolute joke: 143 goals in 174 appearances ffs. :lol: Also Supermac deserves a mention as he was class and my dad's first hero.

Colin Veitch too and the defenders of his era such as Hudspeth, McCraken deserve a mention, they had to change the offside rule because they were so good at offside traps and keeping clean sheets because of how good they were. From the Guardian:

Plus, was Albert even that good as a defender? People tend to opt for Woodgate or Coloccini. 

Love this post. 

The vast majority of Newcastle fans’ knowledge of their own club is piss poor tbh. I got into an argument on Twitter because I said there’d be no Bobby without KK ffs. The other guy just didn’t get it. 

Veitch, McCracken, Hudpseth, Lawrence, Gallacher, Frank Watt should all be names known from our most successful years. 

To the 50s I’d be arguing the likes of Frank Brennan should be getting close to breaking into our all time XI. He was a powerhouse. 

70s. My dad’s era. He raves about SuperMac, Hibbitt and Co. If you’ve never seen it watch Hibbitt’s pass to SuoerMac in the 74 FAC SF. Magical!  Generally this era of fan would say Natrass to be our best RB in history, yet rarely mentioned. I’m sorry like but Warren Barton and John Beresford should be nowhere near this XI.

We need statues and fast 😂

The thing I like about the Emirates Stadium is that mural they have of great former players on the outside going around it. I doubt we could do exactly the same but I think something along those lines outside the ground would be really good. At least the odd picture here and there would be welcome.

A few years ago, I was at a work thing at SJP, they hired one of the function rooms, and on the way up and along the corridors there were loads of great images of this kind of thing but there's nowt in the public facing areas. We should be all over this kind of thing. Perhaps it's not too healthy to live in the past but our record in the Edwardian era was outrageous, seriously incredible and I think our heritage should be celebrated more. 

2 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Love this post. 

The vast majority of Newcastle fans’ knowledge of their own club is piss poor tbh. I got into an argument on Twitter because I said there’d be no Bobby without KK ffs. The other guy just didn’t get it. 

Veitch, McCracken, Hudpseth, Lawrence, Gallacher, Frank Watt should all be names known from our most successful years. 

To the 50s I’d be arguing the likes of Frank Brennan should be getting close to breaking into our all time XI. He was a powerhouse. 

70s. My dad’s era. He raves about SuperMac, Hibbitt and Co. If you’ve never seen it watch Hibbitt’s pass to SuoerMac in the 74 FAC SF. Magical!  Generally this era of fan would say Natrass to be our best RB in history, yet rarely mentioned. I’m sorry like but Warren Barton and John Beresford should be nowhere near this XI.

The way my dad went on about Tony Green, think he should easily get a starting spot in front of Nobby Solano.

2 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Love this post. 

To be fair education about the history has to come from the club, and for the last decade we’ve been owned by a bloke who had zero love for NUFC. 

It’s understandable that people’s knowledge begins and ends at what they can remember or find on YouTube.

11 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Were Beresford and Barton really that good? 

Nah. I'd have Beye and Jose Enrique ahead of both. Some prefer Beresford or even Bernard over Enrique, but Barton shouldn't be in there imo. Even at the time, plenty preferred Steve Watson.

Also, obvious why he's not there, but Beardsley not being there is a joke really.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nah. I'd have Beye and Jose Enrique ahead of both. Some prefer Beresford or even Bernard over Enrique, but Barton shouldn't be in there imo. Even at the time, plenty preferred Steve Watson.

Also, obvious why he's not there, but Beardsley not being there is a joke really.

But a wife beater , drug taking , convicted racist is ok? 

It’s impossible to pick a greatest xi. Picking a greatest xi from from each 20 years would be interesting.

I’m not having Barton, Beresford, Albert, Solano or Lee in there. Not saying who I’d pick as do you want the best players or best team? There’s an argument that Len Shackleton was the best player around at his time but we got rid because he wasn’t a team player. 

Actually, there’s probably one player I would stick in, Woodgate was head and shoulders the best centre half I’ve seen for us, pure class. I didn’t see Brennan or    anyone pre an ageing Moncur but I believe he and others were a bit agricultural in their approach. Woodgate should have been an England great, from memory Leeds felt Man U picked the wrong player when they signed Rio.

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Yeah Tony Green is the one everyone talks about who seen him play.

Cant help feel that team would be torn apart in todays game though.

My uncles said he was Gazza, Zidane, Joelinton and Wood all rolled into one, that’s how good he was.

47 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It’s impossible to pick a greatest xi. Picking a greatest xi from from each 20 years would be interesting.

I’m not having Barton, Beresford, Albert, Solano or Lee in there. Not saying who I’d pick as do you want the best players or best team? There’s an argument that Len Shackleton was the best player around at his time but we got rid because he wasn’t a team player. 

Actually, there’s probably one player I would stick in, Woodgate was head and shoulders the best centre half I’ve seen for us, pure class. I didn’t see Brennan or    anyone pre an ageing Moncur but I believe he and others were a bit agricultural in their approach. Woodgate should have been an England great, from memory Leeds felt Man U picked the wrong player when they signed Rio.

They didn’t though because Rio could stay fit. Could obviously see Woodgate’s class but his time at NUFC is massively overrated. Hardly managed to play a couple of games in succession so we never had a settled back four. His brief spell here was quite frustrating all in all and we did well to get our money back and more for him. Obviously Real Madrid made amends doing the same to us with Owen.

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Yeah Tony Green is the one everyone talks about who seen him play.

Cant help feel that team would be torn apart in todays game though.

They can claim whatever they want thanks to little/no video footage. :lol: Maybe his play style was pleasing on the eyes, or he was very inconsistent with a very high upper ceiling? His stats suggest he wasn't all that compared to how he's described by nostalgic fans.

My dad also reckoned Green was something else, he lived through Milburn, Shackleton, Len Whyte (his favourite player) Stubbins and others. 

LFEE, we may not have seen much of Woodgate and injuries did for him but he was a cut above, he had it all as a centre back.

I am trying to rectify the lack of a good history of the club with my website Toon Times and as far as Tony Green is concerned he was one of the true greats who was robbed of a better career through injury. It is impossible to compare as standards/fitness levels etc have changed so much. Jackie Milburn only started to play really well when he didn’t have to work down the mines at the same time! I think it always best to consider how the players were viewed by their peers. For example Hughie Gallagher was revered whilst he was playing and for as long as those who saw him play were alive

Edited by Toontimes

Joe Harvey (Newcastle manager - after Tony's retirement) - "After they made Tony Green they threw away the mould. I couldn't hope to buy a similar player not even for twice that amount. Tony was the best midfield man in the country and I mean that. His skills thrilled me in a way that no one else has been able to achieve. That lightning speed over the first five yards, the body swerve and that fabulous shot from such a little fellah ....... he was unique".

6 hours ago, Tsunami said:

My dad also reckoned Green was something else, he lived through Milburn, Shackleton, Len White (his favourite player) Stubbins and others. 

LFEE, we may not have seen much of Woodgate and injuries did for him but he was a cut above, he had it all as a centre back.

My Grandad also said White was the best CF we’ve had. A family friend from that generation said similar. His record is pretty decent tbf.

Edited by Likelylad

1 minute ago, Likelylad said:

My Grandad also said Whyte was the best CF we’ve had. A family friend from that generation said similar. His record is pretty decent tbf.

Many old timers who are mostly now sadly no longer with us (many who were my relatives), that I know/knew said the same and also said Green was the most talented player on the ball they’ve ever seen in Black and White, I trust their judgement given they’ve seen all the greats from Milburn to Shearer.