Nick Pope

Rich

There’s not really a clearer sign of his confidence being low than that clearance to the Brighton player yesterday while he was well outside of his area. He’s obviously not got a clear head. Love Pope and think he’ll find his way back to his best with us but he’s going to need a lot of help from Howe and co

Pope is (or used to be) a commanding GK with great cross claiming, shot saving skills and bad feet. The thing is - after the red card against Liverpool his cross claiming has gone down, his save % is down and we’re left with an (at the moment) average keeper with bad feet. We don’t really have an option at this time but within the next 2 windows I’ll be amazed if he isn’t upgraded. 

He can’t be blamed for the fact we no longer keep clean sheets. That’s a system problem.

We were great at it but then we were figured out and haven’t evolved since. 
Pope dropped a clanger against Brighton, yes. There’s a bit of play to go though between his aimless toe punt and the goal. He put us under pressure but we didn’t deal with it well at all.

He’s comfortably our best keeper.

I don't buy that his form has massively declined since the Liverpool red.  I think he did look a bit nervy against Liverpool last week, mind.  But I guess the opposition might have played a part in his mind or just been the continued shaky start to the season.  

This season, he has looked rusty to say the least.  How much did he train and play in pre-season after the hand injury and operation?  As I would say that is more relevant than the fuck up against Liverpool way back in February.  I felt like he wasn't much different after a couple of games post-Liverpool, where he did noticeably seem a bit more hesitant to start with.  He was still coming off his line for crosses or to sweep up the ball over the top.

His limitations with his feet have always been there for all to see.  I don't think that is ever going to improve at this stage of his career.  But for me, where we are as a club and with FFP, the trade off would be for a keeper better on the ball, but nowhere near as good with shot stopping, sweeping, commanding the box etc.  As I don't see how we are getting a keeper as good as him (poor start to the season aside) who is equally as good on the ball for any less than about £50-60m in today's market.  

I think in time, probably the next year or two, it will be an area we look to upgrade, of course.  But I do also think as a fanbase, or football fans in general.  We get really focused in on a few bad performances or a poor run of form and not look at the bigger picture.  He's made what, 2 high profile mistakes that have cost us goals since joining?  But also saved us countless points with his saves and sharpness off his line.  £12m or whatever it was is an absolute steal and on the whole, pound for pound, he has been one of Howe's best signings and I'll die on that hill.   

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

I don't buy that his form has massively declined since the Liverpool red.  I think he did look a bit nervy against Liverpool last week, mind.  But I guess the opposition might have played a part in his mind or just been the continued shaky start to the season.  

This season, he has looked rusty to say the least.  How much did he train and play in pre-season after the hand injury and operation?  As I would say that is more relevant than the fuck up against Liverpool way back in February.  I felt like he wasn't much different after a couple of games post-Liverpool, where he did noticeably seem a bit more hesitant to start with.  He was still coming off his line for crosses or to sweep up the ball over the top.

His limitations with his feet have always been there for all to see.  I don't think that is ever going to improve at this stage of his career.  But for me, at this stage and with FFP, the trade off would be for a keeper better on the ball, but nowhere near as good with shot stopping, sweeping, commanding the box etc.  As I don't see how we are getting a keeper as good as him (poor start to the season aside) who is equally as good on the ball for any less than about £50-60m in today's market.  

I think in time, probably the next year or two, it will be an area we look to upgrade, of course.  But I do also think as a fanbase, or football fans in general.  We get really focused in on a few bad performances or a poor run of form and not look at the bigger picture.  He's made what, 2 high profile mistakes that have cost us goals since joining?  But also saved us countless points with his saves and sharpness of his line.  £12m or whatever it was is an absolute steal and on the whole, pound for pound, he has been one of Howe's best signings and I'll die on that hill.   

Here here. He's been quality for us overall.

It's like anything with our fans. Couple of sketchy moments and you're shite and need replaced

How about supporting the fuckers for a change. Ye kna the blokes who've give us the best season in the last 25 years or even longer

18 minutes ago, jack j said:

Here here. He's been quality for us overall.

It's like anything with our fans. Couple of sketchy moments and you're shite and need replaced

How about supporting the fuckers for a change. Ye kna the blokes who've give us the best season in the last 25 years or even longer

Absolutely agree with this.  He's had a couple of iffy moments but no real clangers.  Still the best English keeper in my eyes.

The criticism is probably amplified by the fact that all the keepers we have faced so far this season have all been levels upon levels ahead of Pope in terms of footwork/passing/sweeper duties. We won't face many better than Martinez, Edison, Allison and Verbruggen.

He made a couple of mistakes for Brighton’s 1st. He also secured us Champs League football with some of saves last season, none more so than against Leicester, in the last minute of the last home game, avoiding any need for a point at Chelsea. Think we can all say we thought Castagne had scored.

Edited by Tsunami

It's not black and white, class or shit. He absolutely has looked less confident since his red card, but he's still a quality keeper who bails us out on the regular. No need to upgrade at all, just needs to get his mojo back which I'm sure will come with time.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

His limitations with his feet have always been there for all to see.  I don't think that is ever going to improve at this stage of his career.  But for me, where we are as a club and with FFP, the trade off would be for a keeper better on the ball, but nowhere near as good with shot stopping, sweeping, commanding the box etc.  As I don't see how we are getting a keeper as good as him (poor start to the season aside) who is equally as good on the ball for any less than about £50-60m in today's market.  

I think in time, probably the next year or two, it will be an area we look to upgrade, of course.  But I do also think as a fanbase, or football fans in general.  We get really focused in on a few bad performances or a poor run of form and not look at the bigger picture.  He's made what, 2 high profile mistakes that have cost us goals since joining?  But also saved us countless points with his saves and sharpness off his line.  £12m or whatever it was is an absolute steal and on the whole, pound for pound, he has been one of Howe's best signings and I'll die on that hill.   

So nice to see such balanced responses on here! 

You have Allison and Ederson.... then you have 6/7 behind that who are excellent in their own right but all of whom have the odd mistake.

It is what it is. He's out best keeper and a bloody good one.

• 2 weeks later...