Nick Pope

Rich

His command of his area used to be such a strength but a few errors have knocked his confidence and affected his decision making. His kicking is clearly never going to get any better. I like him a lot and he’s been a massive part of our success in the last two years but it does feel like he’s a misfit with our playstyle 

He's not the least of our worries, I'm afraid. Both goals were preventable on his part and I think he would've stopped both last season. He's definitely been short on confidence I think. 

55 minutes ago, Nine said:

It was as much Lascelles fault for pushing to high as it was Popes for coming out like that trying to cover, not much in it for me as far as a goalkeeping error. 

You could see why he came out that far, he just got done by the touch which left him stranded.

20 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You could see why he came out that far, he just got done by the touch which left him stranded.

I'll have to see it again but I don't think he needed to come out that far. Anything other than a perfect touch by Emerson and he'd have been able to get it. Instead because he came out so far Emerson's touch meant he got round Pope pretty easily

31 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Yep, so not an error. He did get done mind, that touch was perfect.

Edited by Nine

Pope isn’t infallible, he’s made a few mistakes but, he’s still a class act and talk of replacing him is just a bit imo.

Who do you get, how much do they cost and do their shortfalls make up for Popes weakness with his feet and occasional keeping mistakes? Clubs have thrown stupid money at frankly pretty average keepers. 

I’m more than happy with Pope; he’s only 31, right? Good 2 years left at the very top.

It was definitely an error - no doubts about it. He’s a really good shot stopper with poor feet, so and so decision making and a faltering aerial presence (which used to be a strong point). Wouldn’t be surprised to see him replaced/upgraded within the next three windows. Where we’re going his weaknesses will cost us more points than his shot stopping will give us unfortunately. 

IMG_5361.thumb.jpeg.13a50e739e821fecb7eb5951e74feee2.jpeg

Pope’s positioning isn’t too bad at all here, the ball has been chipped over and he is ready to smother the ball when Emerson takes a touch towards goal. 

He didn’t expect Emerson to take the ball down the line which is what did him; however from a percentage point of view a player is more likely to shoot from that position once they are passed the last man than not.

Sometimes as a keeper you have to make the decision to commit, in the same way Areola did when Isak went around him before it hit the post. It looks worse for Pope in that he stayed on his feet and tried to run back.

EDIT - Watching it back I don’t think Emerson meant to play it wide, it looks more like he fails to control it properly which puts it down the line.

Edited by Matt1892

I think he was at fault to a point. Along with Lascelles and I guess Miggy/whoever should be passing on the runner. But people are ignoring the fact that without the miscontrol. Pope hasn’t actually done that badly and gets away with it. Percentages and fine margins and all that shite. 

I do agree with others that he looks low on confidence. And this is coming from his number one fenland fan. 

He looked so solid last season until that Liverpool sending off. He’s never looked the same keeper since. He’s lost the presence in the box on crosses/corners and always seems stuck in two minds when either the balls played to him or the opposition are running at him. 

The goal is completely on Lascelles for me.

Pope had to come otherwise it was a simple square pass once Schar had to come over and a tap in - better than a one on one situaton. To percentage wise was worth the risk of a chance of getting there or at least putting some pressure on the forward who otherwise was under none.

People would have lambasted him for not coming then.

Edited by Wolfcastle

18 minutes ago, Jordan said:

He looked so solid last season until that Liverpool sending off. He’s never looked the same keeper since.

this is it basically. That his kicking has been worse since then too tells me it’s entirely a confidence thing so hopefully it can be resolved, but it has been quite a long time.