Nick Pope

Rich

1 minute ago, McDog said:

This is where I didn't explain myself very well as usual. I do not think he deliberately handled the ball to prevent a scoring opportunity but he did intentionally grab the ball when he fell on it. Still a red of course. Maybe I'm arguing semantics here and wasting everyone's time.

Yes, I know where you’re coming from - it’s more instinct than obvious intent.  But the outcome, unfortunately for us, is the same either way

edit: when I say intent I mean he deliberately, not accidentally, handled the ball. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just now, McDog said:

I forgive Saint Pope though, he's been unbelievable this year. 

Likewise - that lad has been punished enough, it’s the biggest club game of his career so far he’s missing out on.  It’s a tragedy for him, and a massive problem for us - but he’s more than enough credit in the bank as far as I’m concerned 

1 hour ago, Menace said:

This guy needs to stop thinking he's Neuer, it's embarassing. I knew one day it would bite us in the arse.

Wow, this is is some post

He's been brilliant at sweeping and it's been a big part of allowing us to play a higher line successfully this season

Went wrong today but no reason to abandon it

Sometimes I wonder why footballers try to head the ball when it's literally there on the grass. Use your fucking foot, it's in the name of the game. 

Feel sorry for him but he really fucked up.

Edited by Pata

I don’t want him to change his game, seemed a real tactic from Howe to have him play more aggressive (because he normally can) so we can continue our high line. That ball had swerve and I agree with above, just leather it or try and retreat.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, should have just let him score. He's reacted instinctively though.

That was my take, he's made a split second decision that if he doesn't grab it, it's definitely a goal.

Can't say much about him coming for it, he does it a lot and 99 of a 100 he clears it.  I praised him for doing it earlier in the game saying to the lad next to me 'dubs would have been stood on the 6 yard box waiting for the one on one'. 

Urghh... hurts this like but it is what it is now. 

If it goes all the way to pels next week... I'll cry. 

Given it’s only a game bad I’d appeal it for the sake. Ball was going away from goal, it wasn’t last man and he slipped over - would have been more helpful to his case if he basically didn’t catch it when he landed [emoji38]

Are we discussing the merits of appealing so that it delays the start of the suspension? If we're to appeal because we think it may get overturned, that's bonkers. There is no way it is getting overturned. Its handball ffs. It's not like there is any doubt. If it just flicked off his hand and he gets a red, fair enough, go ahead and appeal. Pope literally clutched and grabbed the ball outside his area. 

8 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Are we discussing the merits of appealing so that it delays the start of the suspension? If we're to appeal because we think it may get overturned, that's bonkers. There is no way it is getting overturned. Its handball ffs. It's not like there is any doubt. If it just flicked off his hand and he gets a red, fair enough, go ahead and appeal. Pope literally clutched and grabbed the ball outside his area. 

Handball isn’t a red card offence though. The sending off comes down to him denying a goal scoring opportunity and there is an argument that a defender is getting back and the attacker still has to control the ball and change it’s direction before taking a shot.

Far and away the most gutting thing is him not being able to play the final. Not so much for us as a team as I hope Karius can produce a performance to be proud of. More just gutted for him, sure he must be incredibly cut up about missing the final and if there’s a goalkeeping error in the final he’ll probably feel even worse. He just has to use that to spur himself on even more. Howe will be doing everything to lift him up again so I’m not overly concerned longer term just such a shame 

49 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

It doesn’t delay anything - the red isn’t put on ice while the appeal process takes place.  The appeal would likely be seen as frivolous (and I don’t think you’ll ever see a clearer red card offence other than someone being openly assaulted) and he’ll end up missing Man City too.  

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It doesn’t delay anything - the red isn’t put on ice while the appeal process takes place.  The appeal would likely be seen as frivolous (and I don’t think you’ll ever see a clearer red card offence other than someone being openly assaulted) and he’ll end up missing Man City too.  

Years ago it used to. Can’t remember when they did away with that. 

I’d still appeal it. Get De Marco on the case[emoji38]

They now have guidelines for appeals. You have 2 days to appeal, so we have until the end of Tuesday to appeal. The panel would sit on the Wednesday to assess the outcome.

An appeal to delay it would be pointless, we can only appeal if we think it can actually be overturned.

9 hours ago, Pata said:

Sometimes I wonder why footballers try to head the ball when it's literally there on the grass. Use your fucking foot, it's in the name of the game. 

Feel sorry for him but he really fucked up.

It’s a psychological thing, happened to me quite a few times when playing. You commit to heading the ball and the trajectory deviates from what you predicted, however, you’ve already committed and just go through the process of heading it.