James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

He seems like he has a fantastic attitude on the pitch. He dives too much for my liking but his head doesn’t drop. He seems incredibly well liked, would be a top dressing room addition and he’s extremely talented. Not really sure there are any downsides to him as a signing? Main one is that he’s probably not an absolute priority but he’s so flexible and until very recently we were crying out for more goals and creativity 

Twins must be utterly brutal in the first 6 months, and then get a fair bit easier from 12 months? I often hear that when twins get to toddler age they are easier in some ways than just having one as they entertain one another so much 

3 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

We shouldn't be interested in Maddison due to his injuries.  When he is fit and on form he is great but he doesn't fit into our system.  If we get CL, Georgian Maradona please.

We won’t afford to spend 120m on one player mate. 

I personally don’t see him having the physical attributes to play in one of the two forward CM positions in our 4/3/3. As a #10 in a 4/2/3/1? Hell yeah.. but who knows if we plan to deploy that formation consistently going forward.

On the surface it makes little sense right now.

8 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Can Maddison press? I've never really watched him defensively but its essential if he's going to fit into the team.

Nah, doesn't really track back or like challenges either. Nice to have in the team if you're 3-0 up and the other team has given up though.

It'll be very interesting to see where Maddison will play in our team if we do get him. We're clearly interested and have been for a long while so Eddie must have a plan.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's being eyed up to play quite a bit on the left of the front three. Think he'd be incredibly dangerous there, cutting inside onto his stronger foot. Have to think he'd put Isak in on goal a lot and I could see him linking up with Willock very well with Willock in that LCM position.

I reckon he'd play as the most advanced of the midfield three quite a bit, especially in home games against teams that we expect to sit back, but I do think in out current system he'd be probably best suited to playing on the left.

Reckon we could sell Maxi and get Maddison without much of a net loss and I don't think I could argue with that as a piece of business. Funnily enough he has similar injury concerns but I do think he'd offer a lot more in terms of a final ball in the final third, something we sorely lack in our squad and are going to need more and more as teams set up negatively against us.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Nah, doesn't really track back or like challenges either. Nice to have in the team if you're 3-0 up and the other team has given up though.

Wasn't he really good against Leeds during the week? :lol:

2 minutes ago, greydos said:

Eddie’s style may evolve again next year. Perhaps calmer more possession-based football. He doesn’t have to play the same style each year

It's a fair point, but I can't see him moving away from the high press in a hurry, so I will still be intrigued to see how Maddison fits into that. But you would never have seen Willock doing it a year ago, so he would probably find a way.

6 hours ago, Shak said:

It'll be very interesting to see where Maddison will play in our team if we do get him. We're clearly interested and have been for a long while so Eddie must have a plan.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's being eyed up to play quite a bit on the left of the front three. Think he'd be incredibly dangerous there, cutting inside onto his stronger foot. Have to think he'd put Isak in on goal a lot and I could see him linking up with Willock very well with Willock in that LCM position.

I reckon he'd play as the most advanced of the midfield three quite a bit, especially in home games against teams that we expect to sit back, but I do think in out current system he'd be probably best suited to playing on the left.

Reckon we could sell Maxi and get Maddison without much of a net loss and I don't think I could argue with that as a piece of business. Funnily enough he has similar injury concerns but I do think he'd offer a lot more in terms of a final ball in the final third, something we sorely lack in our squad and are going to need more and more as teams set up negatively against us.

I had a very similar curiosity about where he fits for us. 

I think he’d excel during games we’ve struggled in this year at home (Leeds, Bournemouth, Palace) while potentially creating more space for Bruno - and supplying chances to those you mentioned.

My only concern would be that diligence off the ball when we play elite teams. We’re not able to carry passengers.