Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

6 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

You basically implied the club couldn't be amateurish and it was instead people jumping to conclusions. So in effect you were defending the club but probably just too stupid to realise ?

I mean with the care and process that went into making sure we hired the right people to bring players in, do you really believe we are amateurish?

19 minutes ago, gdm said:

I mean for as poor as his goal stats are he just can’t look as bad as wood so from that stand point the comparisons are ridiculous. I’d just like a prospect that can show he can score even in the championship.

I’ll obviously give him a chance but our budget will be more than halved so would need to be a hell of a loan signing on the wing/midfield 

I'd be more concerned about his goal scoring  if Watford were a team that used the ball well and played our kind of style under Howe, but their football is poor. Even this season I've watched their first two games and they do nothing with the ball. Joao Pedro's attributes seem very well suited to Howe's football.

Wood is an awful fit in comparison, his link up play isn't good enough, his movement isn't great, and he just seems slow to react to what is happening around him in this style we are now playing. He seems too used to a very direct style like he had with Burnley with an aggressive focal point in Barnes next to him.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, Thumbheed said:

Genuine question but how are people watching enough of Watford and Pedro to be able to fully assess if he's good enough for us? Have they been on TV much? 

Watched quite a lot of them last year as for a large chunk of the season they where our rivals. Also seen their 3 games this season.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You compared this link to Forest signing Aouar and claimed something must be wrong at the club. That is ridiculous man :lol:

This is a young back up striker, so what does one have to do with the other exactly? I thought it was a silly, worst outlook possible reaction.

I said something is wrong. I didn't say 'something is wrong at the club'.

Come on Kaka, man.

As I said if we sign him he’ll get my full support. I’ve mentioned a few times we really need to add quality to our bench. I’d be confident of Ramos coming off the bench and bringing some goal threat up front can’t say I feel the same about JP

Quick question about the club looking at players that can play across the front 3. Does anyone think the signing of Joao Pedro puts paid to signing a right sided forward as he can play there? Maybe our efforts will go to a midfielder like Maddison or Paqueta (budget depending) 

Edited by gdm

Just now, gdm said:

As I said if we sign him he’ll get my full support. I’ve mentioned a few times we really need to add quality to our bench. I’d be confident of Ramos coming off the bench and bringing so thread up front can’t say I feel the same about JP

Quick question about the club looking at players that can play across the front 3. Does anyone think the signing of Joao Pedro puts paid to signing a right sided forward as he can play there? Maybe our efforts will go to a midfielder like Maddison or Paqueta (budget depending) 

If we get Joao Pedro and one of Maddison or Paqueta we're in heaven and the club will be forgiven for wasting this threads time for the past month ;)

3 minutes ago, Mansour said:

I believe because we are looking to add three additional players one of which will be on loan, a midfielder, a winger, and a centre forward. Chelsea happen to have all of what we are looking for, not that, but are willing to loan them as well. So we are waiting to see what we can get from Chelsea for now, that is what I think is happening.

Loans will definitely be a big part in what we do, I agree. 

Unfortunately they tend to happen at the at of the window so some our business will have to be late.

Just now, Flip said:

If we get Joao Pedro and one of Maddison or Paqueta we're in heaven and the club will be forgiven for wasting this threads time for the past month ;)

I kinda meant players that play in their position rather than they specific players. As we seem to be going for someone in that position lately. Maybe JP signing and Gallagher loan? 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Watched quite a lot of them last year as for a large chunk of the season they where our rivals. Also seen their 3 games this season.

Same here (they were a relegation rival for most of the season and also I was interested to see if they could send Everton down when we were safe). I don't form an opinion on a couple of highlights. 

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, gdm said:

As I said if we sign him he’ll get my full support. I’ve mentioned a few times we really need to add quality to our bench. I’d be confident of Ramos coming off the bench and bringing so thread up front can’t say I feel the same about JP

No, I think Pedro, like Ramos would be seen as link up man in the middle. A RW search is separate. In fact the reason we are targeting this lad is possibly so we can retain some funds for a loan fee.

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Phew, he’ll be made up with that now, especially after the early scathing onslaught he got.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

I said something is wrong. I didn't say 'something is wrong at the club'.

Come on Kaka, man.

Something is wrong how though? Listen man, I genuinely wasn't having a go at you.

I genuinely just thought it was funny because I didn't get why the Aouar signing was being used to disparage this link?

We already got us a pretty top rate midfielder ourselves from Lyon after all! And Pedro is just a backup striker. We'll still be in for first teamers this window.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I mean with the care and process that went into making sure we hired the right people to bring players in, do you really believe we are amateurish?

That is like saying although Messi is one of best players in the world, do you really believe he is incapable of making a mistake?

Even the best, well intentioned people can make mistakes. See the Emery debacle as evidence.

Accepting the club will make mistakes doesn't mean I think they aren't doing a brilliant job on the whole.

It just means everyone makes mistakes.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

That is like saying although Messi is one of best players in the world, do you really believe he is incapable of making a mistake?

Even the best, well intentioned people can make mistakes. See the Emery debacle as evidence.

Accepting the club will make mistakes doesn't mean I think they aren't doing a brilliant job on the whole.

It just means everyone makes mistakes.

So making mistakes isn't necessarily amateurish.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Phew, he’ll be made up with that now, especially after the early scathing onslaught he got.

Mate, you are weird. You made a load of nonsense posts basically saying we all have to be sheep about every link. I try not to get in to arguments outside of genuine discussion but shut up man :lol:

6 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Loans will definitely be a big part in what we do, I agree. 

Unfortunately they tend to happen at the at of the window so some our business will have to be late.

It seems that we want to add two players (maybe three or any two of the three positions, that I am not sure of); however, we are only willing to bring one permanently, so that is why we are a little hesitant and waiting. The last thing the club would want to do is spending 30 millions on a centre forward right before Broja becomes available on loan.

Edited by Mansour

Haven’t seen much of Joao Pedro honestly, but looking at his FBRef it doesn’t look so hot, although his defensive play as a forward is extremely good. Another ST turned midfield in the works?

Either way, not the most inspiring signing but we need bodies and if that’s what we can get… Well it’s what we can get

Edited by worthy

This thread is...hard work. I am happy we're substantially linked finally with a young player who appears to have the raw tools that could be polished (with real coaching he'd receive here) into something exciting.

We clearly have figured out that players linked early in the summer are too expensive for our current circumstances with regards to revenue/sponsorship, combined with an ageing squad with little resale, so they're being creative and smart with the money we do have and that will change as our income grows. That's my take FWIW.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

So making mistakes isn't necessarily amateurish.

Exactly. And we don't even know a mistake has been made, posters are just assuming from limited information.

1 minute ago, worthy said:

Haven’t seen much of Joao Pedro honestly, but looking at his FBRef it doesn’t look so hot, although his defensive play as a forward is extremely good. Another ST turned midfield in the works?

Either way, not the most inspiring signing but we need bodies and if that’s what we can get… We’ll it’s what we can get

I must admit he's totally passed me by, is he any good ? And is he worth £20 million + ?