Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 hours ago, SteV said:

edit: as an aside, I was looking up the rules on this, and discovered Dier doesn’t count as homegrown for Spurs, even though he plays for England, which is a bit mad.

Doesnt matter that he plays for England. He has to be trained in England for 3 years prior to 21st burpday which he wasnt as he was at Sporting as a bairn before coming back in late teens (i think??).

It does seem a mad rule rule that someone like Dier can fall foul of the rule meant to help english players

5 hours ago, SteV said:

No.

The homegrown quota is something we need to consider going forward though. We’ll be fine next season and for the next couple of seasons, but once the likes of Wilson, Trippier and Pope start nearing the end, we’d have a problem if most of our signings between now and then are non-homegrown.

edit: as an aside, I was looking up the rules on this, and discovered Dier doesn’t count as homegrown for Spurs, even though he plays for England, which is a bit mad.

Why's it mad? He was grown in Portugal.

24 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Why's it mad? He was grown in Portugal.

Yes, obviously, I’m not necessarily questioning the legitimacy of the rule.  

More the fact, that you’ve got someone who is ’English’, plays for England, but because of circumstances, doesn’t count as home grown.

I suppose it’s evidence that you need to look at this rule not in terms ‘we need to have less foreigns in the team’, and more ‘we need to have more academy players in the team’.

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

Yes, obviously, I’m not necessarily questioning the legitimacy of the rule.  

More the fact, that you’ve got someone who is ’English’, plays for England, but because of circumstances, doesn’t count as home grown.

I suppose it’s evidence that you need to look at this rule not in terms ‘we need to have less foreigns in the team’, and more ‘we need to have more academy players in the team’.

Who thought of it as less foreign players?

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

Hence why the likes of Lukaku, Pogba, Suso, Gnabry, Bellerin….and Chris Wood are all classed as ‘home grown’. Fabregas etc before them too. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Hence why the likes of Lukaku, Pogba, Suso, Gnabry, Bellerin….and Chris Wood are all classed as ‘home grown’. Fabregas etc before them too. 

Indeed

18 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Kephren Thuram and Mac Allister should break the bank for both. Mac Allister seems a really good character aswell who would fit well in the squad.

This

19 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Kephren Thuram and Mac Allister should break the bank for both. Mac Allister seems a really good character aswell who would fit well in the squad.

Mac Allister is Liverpool bound by all accounts 

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

I don't want to deal with Brighton for transfers.  They've developed their own Brighton premium on players because they don't need to sell.  Their managers always get a lot of credit (and they should) for how Brighton perform but their recruitment is exemplary.  I wonder who was in charge of planning their recruitment?

I don't understand the point in us paying 70 odd million for a DM when I'm sure we could find our own starlet for half the price.

The only clubs that continuously waste that sort of money are clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd who can't be arsed with putting the effort into intense scouting.

Our current model is working fine.

(I know is Isak was 60m but strikers always cost more).